Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Dodging the main issue I see, I'm not denying that did happen but why are you trying to divert attention away from my video and my posts? What about standing up for fox news?
Quote:
When you try and destroy a persons credibility by altering pictures of them, that is altering the actual news story. They are putting an image into the mind of the audience that is fake and trying to twist things that way. Also I would like to see this cropped video from MSNBC and proof you know its cropped. Again why would a source from a publication that isn't reporting what fox news did in there article, air brush a guy's nose to be smaller? I know what air brushing is, it normally removes blemishes and moles, but making a guy's nose smaller? Thats a supposed first.
I was just providing the proof you asked for. =)

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I was just providing the proof you asked for. =)
Quote:
Dodging the main issue I see, I'm not denying that did happen but why are you trying to divert attention away from my video and my posts? What about standing up for fox news?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I read them all and you are playing games and not being honest as usual from what I've seen of you on here. Answer the question I posed to you. Do you read the responses to your posts? If you do, answer the question. What is more of a lie, distorting a picture (if it really happened) or cropping a video and saying a black guy holding an AR15 was a white guy? Which is the actual lie about the CONTENT of the news story?
Well, shoot, so to speak. I cant find it. I must have remembered it wrong. My apologies. Too bad, because as I remembered it it was a very clever joke -- leading the viewer to believe he was white, and then moving the camera up and revealing that he was black. Sorry, OP.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I remember that as a news article, but had never seen it in a video. Thanks for posting this. Lying bastards.
Wow. So quick to accept, without being partial at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The content of the news was not altered. If you need pictures to get the message across I don't know what to tell you. Nobody knows if they actually did anything, maybe it was MSNBC that altered the photos. Nobody knows, but we DO know that MSNBC LIED when they cropped out that black guy holding the AR15 and tried to say it was a white guy. Now THAT is lying and altering the CONTENT OF THE NEWS. Pot meet kettle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well, shoot, so to speak. I cant find it. I must have remembered it wrong. My apologies. Too bad, because as I remembered it it was a very clever joke -- leading the viewer to believe he was white, and then moving the camera up and revealing that he was black. Sorry, OP.
It's odd that someone would see that kind of misrepresentation as a "very clever joke".

I call that deceptive and intentionally misleading, substantially changing the facts -- not "a very clever joke". Would you call it a clever joke if Fox did it?

I thought not.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:04 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

It's odd that someone would see that kind of misrepresentation as a "very clever joke".

I call that deceptive and intentionally misleading, substantially changing the facts -- not "a very clever joke". Would you call it a clever joke if Fox did it?

I thought not
Everything is open to personal interpretation.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:17 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Remember that pic of Palin that was on the cover of either Time or Newsweek? It was very un-touched and unflattering. This kind of stuff happens all the time. Look at the photos on the Drudge Report. They always portray Pelosi as Nasty Nancy. Other publications always show Limbaugh as a big fatty, even though he's not fat any more. It's true that a picture is better than a thousand words. I would argue that many news organizations pick and choose from available images until they find the one that reflects their particular slant; and make no mistake about it, they're all slanted one way or the other.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:17 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Well, there it is, on video. And they never denied it:

"A spokeswoman said the executive in charge of “Fox and Friends” is on vacation and not available for comment but added that altering photos for humorous effect is a common practice on cable news stations.)"

The Media Equation: When Fox News Is the Story - NYTimes.com

If MSNBC had made up the story, I suspect Fox as well as the FCC would have registered a complaint or two, you reckon?
Quote:

I thought not.
Actually, I would. It was hugely clever, as I remembered it. I just was cleverer than they were. Manipulating the news is never okay, and I never said it was.

As I remembered it, the msnbc footage led the viewer to believe one thing but then revealed the truth. As I remembered it, the camera held on the assault rifle, then moved in one smooth motion up his right side to his face, surprising the viewer, who -- in my memory of this -- had been seeing only white faces before. That was the joke: you think these guns belong to a white person, but nope, it's a black person. The truth was shown and the visual comment made via a trick played on the viewer. In my memory they didnt make a point of it beyond that. I didnt remember that the story was pressing the "whites" angle, I just remembered it as angry people at an Obama rally, and this funny wordless comment.

That all said, now that I see the real footage, MSNBC was certainly wrong to include that bit of film and not be honest and show the guy was black.

And THAT said, I dont see any other claim online that MSNBC has done anything similar, before or since.

On the other hand, Fox selectively edits and misleads as a necessary habit. They have this manipulation of the reporters' faces to their credit, plus Sean Hannity having to apologize for manipulating images of some Tea Party gathering in DC to back up his and Michelle Bachmann's lying claims that many more thousands were there than were, plus recently the Obama applause/no applause sound manipulation. More to come regarding this, because it really is egregious with Fox and dangerous for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies