Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:12 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
If White Africans use the term African-American, then they are foolish for using a term that does not apply to them. Black immigrants are also not African-American. Seriously...did some of you even bother to read the posted links to past discussions? Why are the same questions being asked when the answer is so readily available? I'm beginning to wonder if people are just being willfully ignorant.
So, if it is agreed that black immigrants, etc., are not necessarily african-americans, then why is the term used to signify the black race? For example, when a black person fills out a form which asks for his race as: white, african-amercian, hispanic, asian, etc, what would a black person (who immigrated from england) put? What about scholarships for african-amercians? Do they accept white citizens that have emigrated from africa? What about blacks that have emigrated from a non-african country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
So, if it is agreed that black immigrants, etc., are not necessarily african-americans, then why is the term used to signify the black race? For example, when a black person fills out a form which asks for his race as: white, african-amercian, hispanic, asian, etc, what would a black person (who immigrated from england) put? What about scholarships for african-amercians? Do they accept white citizens that have emigrated from africa? What about blacks that have emigrated from a non-african country?
I don't recall ever taking a survey where AA was the only option. I've seen Black and I've seen AA/Black.

I don't know what the individual restrictions are for AA scholarships, as I've never applied for one. What has been your experience? If you're unsure and you have a desire to know, why not contact the agency directly?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
They would put English, or French or whatever they want. This is an AMERICAN issue, it has nothing to do with black people who emigrate from other nations abroad. This doesn't exist in any other culture except in the USA. It doesn't apply to any other ethnic or social group on the globe.

The term African-American is used by some blacks to identify themselves as members of a group of people who share a collective uniquely black AMERICAN ancestry and identity. It's like someone from the Philippines calling themselves Pinoy, or Pinay, or someone from Barbados calling themselves Bajan.

I don't understand why there's confusion about this, or why people even should care or have a problem. If black Americans want to have a collective identity which only they can share and relate to because of the historical significance of their ancestry in the USA what is the problem with it?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:58 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The term African-American is used by some blacks to identify themselves as members of a group of people who share a collective uniquely black AMERICAN ancestry and identity. It's like someone from the Philippines calling themselves Pinoy, or Pinay, or someone from Barbados calling themselves Bajan.
Exactly. And that collective identity in America is that they are the descendants of African slaves. That identity does not include recent waves of immigrants, the same way that a white guy who moves from America to South Africa would never be considered an Afrikaner or Boer. Get over it.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:18 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
They would put English, or French or whatever they want. This is an AMERICAN issue, it has nothing to do with black people who emigrate from other nations abroad. This doesn't exist in any other culture except in the USA. It doesn't apply to any other ethnic or social group on the globe.

I don't understand why there's confusion about this, or why people even should care or have a problem. If black Americans want to have a collective identity which only they can share and relate to because of the historical significance of their ancestry in the USA what is the problem with it?
What is the problem with it? Well for one thing, it is wrongly used as a substitute for race. If someone describes a burglary suspect as being about 6'2", African-American, with a beard and tattoo, do you really think they know the heritage of this person, or are just describing the fact that the person was black? Likewise, a black person visiting from England would be referred to as an African-American even though he is not a US citizen! That is what is wrong! We don't refer to white people as European-Americans, so why refer to blacks as African-Americans? It just confuses things and is not a substitute for race!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM

270 posts, read 198,510 times
"African American" is a statistical category used on the U.S. Census to describe ALL people of African descent who live in the United States.
"Black American" is an ethnic group of people who share similar cultural, historical, political and kinship attributes in the United States.
My FAMILY is Black American.
My CULTURE is Black American.
My HISTORY is Black American.
I am Black American.
I am of African descent but I am very American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies