Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:04 PM

155 posts, read 282,931 times

Advertisements

well i'm not so sensitive I could care a less if you call me black american or african american just as long as you respect me for what and who I am!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:37 PM

87 posts, read 392,077 times
Lol in Canada we call black people Black. Their not hyphenated Canadians. Their just Canadian who look kinda black. lol. Heck and even then I only really call someone black in very few situations. Its not like race is something you bring up all the time. Mostly as a descriptive tool like "Hey, did you see that black dude with the sick mohawk." Or "Hey, whats that Asian dudes name who we met at your place"

Old 06-15-2010, 06:07 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanieblue View Post
Sometimes in general conversation it comes up, it doesn't have to be an issue.
Like, "Hey, what does that girl you're looking for look like, I'll try to find her."

It would be pretty weird to describe her while purposely leaving out her
Asian nationality because you thought it was racist to mention it.

No one would know they were looking for an Asian girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Exactly.

Disagree. It only creates schisms when people think different = bad.

There are various reasons for it, and OR just mentioned one. Also, although sadly this is fading more with each passing year, people traditionally have also often taken pride in their heritage.
I disagree with both these positions. I am an American through and though. My immigrant ancestors come from Spain via Mexico. Our family celebrates our ancestral heritage through customs observed at family and holiday gatherings several times a year. However this does not make me a Hispanic-American. My skin is olive brown and my eyes hazel green. I am an American period. I need no other labels for daily life. If I was participating in a DNA study tracing my roots back thousands of years, then fine racial labels make sense. However no other racial labels need be used in daily life.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,501 times
I say black folks or white folks.

I'm a black woman.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
We go through this ad nauseum.

Black is a racial description for those of African descent, no matter where they are from.

African American is a description of a specific ethnic group in American society. Not all blacks are African American, but all African Americans are black.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
African-American(I identify with black as well) is more accurate, because I'm an American born of African descent. I'm not black in color, I'm a medium brown complexion. My great grandmother have the skin complexion of many Mediterraneans, but she is considered black. Albino Blacks are lighter than "white" people. If you want to be more accurate, it sure isn't "black" American.

Since most Africans from Africa identify with their country or tribe of origin rather than an entire continent, its usually refer to those that are descendants of USA slavery 150-500 years ago.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 06-15-2010 at 08:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 08:35 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,509 times
My black friends say do not call them African- American, because they are not African, they are American. They want to be called black, cause they are. Enough said.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
For my part, leave the African stuff back in Africa. In a formal context, however, I wouldn't necessarily object to its use.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,462,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Do you feel that it is more acurate to call Americans (when referring to race): Black Americans, White Americans, etc. OR African-American, European-American, Asian-American, Latin-American, etc.?

What do they call the Black Italians, the Black French, the Black English, the White Africans, the Chinese Indians, or the Indian Australians, for example? Or is there a racial identifier at all?
Why is everybody on this forum so hyper focused on race?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
We go through this ad nauseum.

Black is a racial description for those of African descent, no matter where they are from.

African American is a description of a specific ethnic group in American society. Not all blacks are African American, but all African Americans are black.
Wrong. I have known a few African whites (from South Africa) who became American citizens. Even though they are now African Americans, they are still white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies