Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is responsible for the spill
Cheney 7 21.88%
BP 25 78.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
All it takes is a little research. Next, I'm expecting Obama supporters to start to blame Hillary.
I was looking for the dates online, so I'm glad you found them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
BP - Obviously they didn't meet engineering regulations/requirements or it would have never blown up and taken innocent lives.
How is that obvious? If they didnt meet engineering requirements, they never would have been allowed to build the wells to begin with..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
I'm not speculating on who was in charge of enforcement of safty inspections when this rig was put in service.
I'm not speculating on which party wanted less regulations on oil drilling.

You fail at questioning what was going on.

Yes, you covered "was" nicely.

Now let's look at "is".

In the wake of the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, the Department of the Interior’s Minerals Management Service (MMS) has continued to issue “categorical exclusions” for oil companies, allowing them to bypass the last stage of environmental review before proceeding with drilling projects, an Interior Department official told ABC News Wednesday.

Interior Department Continues to Issue

The decision by the department's Minerals Management Service (MMS) to give BP's lease at Deepwater Horizon a "categorical exclusion" from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) on April 6, 2009 -- and BP's lobbying efforts just 11 days before the explosion to expand those exemptions -- show that neither federal regulators nor the company anticipated an accident of the scale of the one unfolding in the gulf.

U.S. exempted BP's Gulf of Mexico drilling from environmental impact study

They are playing this war of words,” Santelli said on CNBC’s June 9 “Closing Bell.” “Just consider this, there’s an old law on the books Ron, called the Jones Act of 1920. I’ve looked at three articles in a Belgian newspaper. They have special ships that could make a big difference in cleaning this up. But they were told by the State Department that they can’t because that act, Jones of 1920 prohibits ships that aren’t made in the U.S. to do such things in U.S. waters.”

Antiquated Law Prevents Foreign Naval Aid for Gulf Says Santelli, Heritage Foundation (http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2010/20100609163127.aspx - broken link)

BP: Recipients | OpenSecrets

Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The decision by the department's Minerals Management Service (MMS) to give BP's lease at Deepwater Horizon a "categorical exclusion" from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) on April 6, 2009
April 6th, 2009.. I wonder how difficult it would be to find out who president was on this date?

So much for the OP's ridiculous poll...

Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
April 6th, 2009.. I wonder how difficult it would be to find out who president was on this date?
I'm going to make some calls.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I'm going to make some calls.
Please do because if there is one thing liberals have taught me, SOMEONE IS TO BLAME always!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
If you come at it from the "less is more" government regulation side, then BP had an obligation to not cut corners on safety when doing offshore drilling. If you come at it from the "the government should have firm, strictly enforced safety regulations to protect the people and the environment" then it is to blame.

I come down on the side of "the government is a bloated circular firing squad which couldn't get out of it's own way under any circumstances". Anyone who expects that it ever will be able to is a fool.

Therefore, I totally blame BP, which had an implicit obligation to protect the safety of its equipment. Furthermore, if I'm willing to cheerfully let them reap the benefits of their successful little oil venture, then I'm willing to put the blame squarely on them for this disaster.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
All it takes is a little research. Next, I'm expecting Obama supporters to start to blame Hillary.
If the insane deregulation started with Clinton, how and why did it go unaddressed and further unregulated and deregulated post the Clinton administration? Did we not have an administration between Clinton and Obama?

After the Bush administration took office, the MMS became a cesspool of corruption and conflicts of interest. In September 2008, Earl Devaney, Interior’s Inspector General, delivered a report to Secretary Dirk Kempthorne that has to be read to be believed. One section, headlined “A Culture of Ethical Failure,” documented the belief among numerous MMS staff that they were “exempt from the rules that govern all other employees of the Federal Government.” They adopted a “private sector approach to essentially everything they did.” This included “opting themselves out of the Ethics in Government Act.” On at least 135 occasions, they accepted gifts and gratuities from oil and gas companies with whom they worked. One of the employees even had a lucrative consulting arrangement with a firm doing business with the government. And in a laconic sentence that speaks volumes, the IG reported: “When confronted by our investigators, none of the employees involved displayed remorse.”
Forget Offshore Drilling Until We Get Some Answers | The New Republic

Old 06-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
If the insane deregulation started with Clinton, how and why did it go unaddressed and further unregulated post the Clinton administration? Did we not have an administration between Clinton and Obama?

After the Bush administration took office, the MMS became a cesspool of corruption and conflicts of interest. In September 2008, Earl Devaney, Interior’s Inspector General, delivered a report to Secretary Dirk Kempthorne that has to be read to be believed. One section, headlined “A Culture of Ethical Failure,” documented the belief among numerous MMS staff that they were “exempt from the rules that govern all other employees of the Federal Government.” They adopted a “private sector approach to essentially everything they did.” This included “opting themselves out of the Ethics in Government Act.” On at least 135 occasions, they accepted gifts and gratuities from oil and gas companies with whom they worked. One of the employees even had a lucrative consulting arrangement with a firm doing business with the government. And in a laconic sentence that speaks volumes, the IG reported: “When confronted by our investigators, none of the employees involved displayed remorse.”
Forget Offshore Drilling Until We Get Some Answers | The New Republic
And Obama did what about the report? After All, Bush had Oct/Nov/Dec (while being a lame duck) to do something about the report, Obama has 18 months.. You are providing proof that Obama incompetence is to blame, and you dont even realise it..

Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The new motto?

"The buck stops there."

This is just so much like Katrina it's sad\funny. Does Obama hate black people yet too?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:50 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And Obama did what about the report? After All, Bush had Oct/Nov/Dec (while being a lame duck) to do something about the report, Obama has 18 months.. You are providing proof that Obama incompetence is to blame, and you dont even realise it..
It is obvious your intent in posting is just to blame Obama. Get real, anyone posting here for awhile already know your MO, You argue just to win, not to get at the facts. Obama is not the ass kicker that I would have preferred and that is why during the primaries I supported the guy that introduced articles of impeachment against Bush and Cheney. I would agree that anyone that did not quash the "Drill Baby Drill" idiotic mantra is somewhat accountable in this disaster, but do not for one second think that any amount of your twisting and spinning can deflect from the fact that in every sense of the word, BP CEO's and Dick Cheney are by far the most guilty criminals in this tragedy...and you know it! Have a great day.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 06-16-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies