Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do The POLICE And The PUBLIC Trust Each Other?
I Am NOT A Policeman And I Support The Police 20 46.51%
I Am NOT A Policeman And I Am Neutral Towards Police 7 16.28%
I Am NOT A Policeman And I Dislike/Distrust The Police 15 34.88%
I AM A Policeman And I Generally Like The Public 0 0%
I AM A Policeman And The Public Are A Mixed Bag 1 2.33%
I AM A Policeman And I Dislike/Distrust The Public 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Recently we have seen videos and heard stories about clashes between the police and the public. I am usually pretty much on the side of the policeman unless clear and convincing evidence exist that says that the policeman was way out of line. If somebody physically resist the policeman or refuses to follow the instructions of the policeman, to me they pretty much earned whatever is coming to them next.
Most of the time when I have dealt with the policeman, he has been professional and courteous. But a few times I have been what I consider abused by the policeman myself.
In Chicago I was once stopped for no reason except that I was white in a black neighbourhood at 2:30 AM. The policemen- 4 of them- accused me of being there to look for drugs or a prostitute. I fully cooperated and even offered to take them to the lady I had just dropped off in Oak Park. The police then said "well if you didn't buy drugs then you should not mind if we look in your car". I told them to go ahead and look and then they took all my things out of my car and put them in the street including my back seat. When they failed to find anything, one of them handed me back my license and said "have a nice morning" and then they all drove off leaving me in a dangerous part of Chicago at 3AM with all my things in the street.
While the policeman did not physically abuse me, I still felt accused and abused by the police.
So I actually have a reason to dislike the policeman but I do not dislike the policeman. I just have come to realize that the Chicago policeman is a different breed- about one step above the people he is chasing.
One the other hand, the policeman sometimes may have good reason to view us the public with suspicion. I think that it is the nature of the policeman's work that he learns not to trust people he deals with because most of them will lie to him- whether it is over a murder or a speeding ticket. You know you were speeding when the policeman caught you and he knows it too. Many times police that are too trusting have wound up dead at the end of their shift. Sometimes they are shot dead eating lunch. So can you really blame the policeman for not being too trusting?
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Seriously, cops are just people. There are good ones and there are bad ones. But if you are doing what you are supposed to, you shouldn't have to do much with either.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:18 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Seriously, cops are just people. There are good ones and there are bad ones. But if you are doing what you are supposed to, you shouldn't have to do much with either.
To add to that, when it comes to police, 1 bad apple definitely can spoil the bunch - in terms of public perception.

However, the work of a police officer can appeal to some very borderline-sociopath type personalities. I can think of 2 kids in particular that I grew up with who were holy terrors and could of easily been less-than-model citizens, but are now in law enforcement. I don't know them anymore, or their records as professionals, and would like to think they cleaned up their acts for good, but..... I don't know. It makes me wonder sometimes.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Yep;I support the police because we saw what happens without strong police presents in New Orleans. The distrust of other people is real high now days.Of course those who committ violations always want the other guy to be police ;not them.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:12 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yep;I support the police because we saw what happens without strong police presents in New Orleans. The distrust of other people is real high now days.Of course those who committ violations always want the other guy to be police ;not them.
The police give presents?! How exciting!

There is significant distrust amongst the public considering the police--usually because "the public" is doing something wrong. Any cop will tell you that you can be stopped for anything. There are thousands of criminal laws, and you're probably breaking one standing on the street corner. Take the example given here where a guy (supposedly) breaks a 40+ year old law which was intended to stop the government from intruding on private citizens.

But, as any cop will also tell you--treat them with respect and they will return it in kind. Getting belligerent is just going to cause pain.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
If they can record my actions, then why wouldnt I be allowed to record theirs?

Old 06-16-2010, 05:20 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
I haven't had too many run - ins with the cops, but I like to look at it this way:

If someone I loved was murdered, then I'd want the rudest, crudest, meanest SOB in the dept. looking for the perpetrator.

.....and smartest.....

Old 06-16-2010, 05:24 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times
I just wish there was a way to get bad/rogue cops off the streets, but they are almost never caught.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Cool I support police !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Having worked in law enforcement for 18 years, as a secretary, I can attest to the above statement We should all, as law-abiding citizens, SUPPORT our police officers who daily risk their lives on our behalf.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I just wish there was a way to get bad/rogue cops off the streets, but they are almost never caught.
Good cops despise bad cops. They are caught, and as pointed out, the bad apples spoil the bunch. If bad cops were not caught, we wouldn't ever know about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies