Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
For me, this is less about getting married and more about the impact on the children due to the lack of a familial structure. I could care less about stigma and/or how men and women view the act of getting married. I care for the children who undoubtedly suffer when the lack of a man and a woman in the house creates a missing piece in the Puzzle of Life for those young impressionable minds.
Are you saying a child can't have family structure without a dad present in the household?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Plenty of stigma and assumptions...
children born out of wedlock will not necessarily grow up dependent on the government, nor will they necessarily grow up to be criminals.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
This comment offends me immensely...
I have a 4 year old, out of wedlock, and don't use Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, etc. And he will not grow up thinking the world owes him anything. I work hard to provide for myself and him and he knows the world doesn't revolve around him. I go to school and work full-time. It is stressful and probably would be easier living off the government but my hard work pays off b/c I drive a nice car, live in a brand new house (well, not brand new anymore - built in 2008 but I digress) I am able to buy new clothes for myself and him, go on vacations, etc. all without the help of anyone; I do it ALL BY MYSELF and am very proud in doing so.
I also know at least 10+ more single mothers (who had babies out of wedlock) who are doing the same without help from the state, family, friends, etc. So that pretty much botches your 90% statistic. But thank you for letting me clarify and call you out. It feels good to take a stand and defend all of us "sinners" out there.

My son's father is also in the picture. He's a very good one at that!
It sounds to me like you fall within the 10% that the poster asserted in his statistic. What's the problem?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
It sounds to me like you fall within the 10% that the poster asserted in his statistic. What's the problem?
His "statistic" is false. There are more than 10% of us out there. As I said, I know 10 more gals just like me who are living the same way. That means there are 11 of us, which is more than 10%.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Are you saying a child can't have family structure without a dad present in the household?
I'm saying without a doubt that broken homes are known to promote degeneration in society. This is not my theory. Take it up with sociologists.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:37 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Is the OP saying that those kids have single moms or only that their parents are not married?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
His "statistic" is false. There are more than 10% of us out there. As I said, I know 10 more gals just like me who are living the same way. That means there are 11 of us, which is more than 10%.
I'm not here to judge you. But I do question why you know 10 more girls in the same position that you are in. The question I have is: What makes it so attractive to be in that position? Obviously something is appealing about it if you know 10 more girls in the same situation.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I'm saying without a doubt that broken homes are known to . This is not my theory. Take it up with sociologists.
That is ludicrous. I have about 11 really close friends who I either talk to daily or see on a weekly basis. Only 2 of them have parents who are still together. The other 9 don't promote degeneration in society, and a couple of them are ironically more successful than the ones who didn't come from "broken homes."

Old 06-17-2010, 10:48 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,495 times
Quote:
{snip}

My son's father is also in the picture. He's a very good one at that!
So, why aren't you marrying him or something?

Weekend visits and every Father's day is NOT enough for a child. PERIOD.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not here to judge you. But I do question why you know 10 more girls in the same position that you are in. The question I have would be: What makes it so attractive to be in that position? Obviously something is appealing about it if you know 10 more girls in the same position.
Actually, I am a part of an organization started by the ladies who run a Mother's Day Out program. They all live close to where I do, and I've become good friends with all of them. Why do you question me relating to others who are in the same situation as I? It's not as if we are old maids who hate men. I have a boyfriend of 4 years... So I'm not really sure why you are questioning my lifestyle and/or friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies