Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's the dumbest premise I think i've ever heard. I'm not attacking you, i'm attacking those who "stated" this crap. There is absolutely nothing hard to understand about Barack Obama's words or speeches. To suggest that the American people are that stupid is just shameful in every aspect.
It does make me question the "sources" of the "news" some people listen to, because I've never once heard a news story make this claim..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 03:20 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
To be honest, Summers, I don't know. I think that in their wildest dreams, nobody thought this epic a spill could have happened. And nobody had any idea on how to cap the well, or prevent the millions of gallons of oil from spreading. They should have.
As most every other topic, it digresses to this right versus left argument ... is it Obama's fault or Bush's fault? it's neither ... this is a case of total reckless abandon by corporate interests running into a situation that nothing would have prevented.

The media and the government are not telling you the truth folks. The truth is they can't cap this well. There are already fissures in the seabed floor, and a gigantic gas bubble some twenty miles long sits under the well head. The pressure at the well head is between 70,000 and 100,000 psi ... pressure exceeding modern human engineering capability to contain ... and even if it could be, that pressure would simply seek the path of least resistance, and flow through the fissures. To put into perspective, common well head pressures are in the realm of 1000-2000 psi. They were drilling at the depths of human technology, and they hit something that they weren't capable of handling.

The most important issues are certainly being kept secret ... 1) toxic gasses at hundreds of times the safe limit are being released which poses an even greater risk to human life along the gulf coast than the oil itself ... and ... 2) the gas bubble poses the risk of a gigantic explosion on the order of a major volcanic eruption which would result in massive release of toxic gasses as well as a tsunami which would devastate coastlines in all directions ... especially a threat to Florida.

That is the immediate threat .... the longer term issue poses a "planetary" threat. This "gulf oil spill" has the potential of causing irreparable damage to the planetary ecosystem through the killing of oceans worldwide, if, as the current fears consider, that current technology cannot stop the flow.

The expert opinion is that the only feasible approach is a nuclear weapon to seal the well ... with the risk of failure resulting in the massive opening of these fissures to the point that nothing could stop the flow ... and the ultimate destruction of the oceans around the globe in less than 2 years.

There is no time for the blame game ... we are facing a planetary apocalypse ... and that's the truth of the matter. This talk of "relief well drilling" is simply idle talk for the appearance of action being taken, and will have no measurable effect ... the damage to the seabed is yet to be quantified, nor any feasible approach to repair the damage available.

We may see an unprecedented evacuation of the coastal regions, or they may simply keep silent about the threat, and stand by and watch Millions die, when, not if the situation reaches critical.

If I were on the coast, I'd be packing for a permanent relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies