Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
My, my, how childishly pouty..... Didn't like what he said, did ya?
I have no clue what he said.. Why dont you fill us in with your usual objective self...

Old 06-22-2010, 01:11 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
He got his healthcare plan passed, didn't he? That's step 1. You're right, they won't be around because, in the end, he'll get what he wants bit by bit. He told us so. Remember, "the end justifies the means."
Right, so how is that selling out to the insurance companies.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times
I remember when my grandma (born at the turn of the 20th century) started to accuse everyone, including the government, of "playing tricks" on her. She had the excuse of dementia and Alzheimer's though... the lamers on this board don't have that excuse, as far as I know...

Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As an individual who used to work for a contracted insurance company, I can assure you that healthcare providers take whats paid by insurance companies because they have no choice, and insurance companies pay based upon the UCR and ICD9/10 payment schedules set by the federal government. If the healthcare providers dont take the payments, then the insurance companies withdraw their clients fromusing that provider and providers need all the business they can get..
Don't read that post....69....read the one below it...70. I was in the middle of wrtiting 69 when it tried to submit it by itself......I checked and it hadn't posted it then so I started over....I don't know why it's there now....weird.

I'm an insurance broker, all I do is sell health insurance for 15 years now.

The UCR charges are compiled data to establish an average price....the discount from that amount is what's negotiated....the ICD's are compiled data also for the actuarials to establish rates.

The discounts that get negotiated in a private network, don't even come close to the discount the gov't decides Medicare will be taking. They pay some where around 60-70 percent on a private network....Medicare pays only 20-25 percent and it's going down even more.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You obviously have no experience dealing with these things...

The government contracts their insurance out to these private industries.. Who do you think runs the Medicaid in each state? How about the government employees, or the prisoners.. Payment and billing is done by private insurance companies who all buy influence in politicians who negotiate the contracts to provide care..
The reason they'll get forced out of business is because of the pre-ex's they have to accept and pay claims on.....all on individual coverage. There's no one to distribute the risk evenly so they won't be able to predict it either....they'll just have to react to it as quickly as possible with rate increases if they have to take on too much risk....which all starts a vicious cycle that spirals out of control. People go elsewhere for insurance and there's no premiums coming in peoplethat are healthy, to pay for all the claims he sick are submitting.

That has nothing to do with group plans regardless of who employees the group, the gov't or a private company. You already can't decline for pre-ex's on group and most of the time there's enough prior credit to even eliminate any waiting period there may have been.

What you're talking about is has nothing to do with Obama selling out to insurers in the health care bill.

As far as gov't contracts for health care....they take bids, there not no bid contracts. That's how private employers decide who to use too, they take bids....that's what I do as a broker....I get bids on there behalf from all the carriers and show the employer who's going to offer them the best deal.

Every insurance carrier works with Medicaid. they compete with each other. There are carriers that do group, some do group and individual and some only do individual but, all the ones that do group in the state and a bunch of others that don't even market to the public...work with Medicaid. What's that have to do with the HC bill.

Then again, I've only been a broker for 15 years now so, I'm obviously inexperienced.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Don't read that post....69....read the one below it...70. I was in the middle of wrtiting 69 when it tried to submit it by itself......I checked and it hadn't posted it then so I started over....I don't know why it's there now....weird.

I'm an insurance broker, all I do is sell health insurance for 15 years now.

The UCR charges are compiled data to establish an average price....the discount from that amount is what's negotiated....the ICD's are compiled data also for the actuarials to establish rates.

The discounts that get negotiated in a private network, don't even come close to the discount the gov't decides Medicare will be taking. They pay some where around 60-70 percent on a private network....Medicare pays only 20-25 percent and it's going down even more.
Health insurance companies should be federally regulated, halting collusion and price fixing, scrapping their anti-trust exemption. I'm sick and tired of of these scumbags making profits off sick folks by first taking their money for years then dumping them when they need it the most, and don't even mention this doesn't happen because I've seen it happen several times with several people including my wife. Car insurance companies do the same with bad drivers but in this case it's people who dare to use their health insurance. It's debasing and immoral. If I were you Danno I'd look at real estate as a career move..........soon

Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Trick.. I think he told you what he wanted :-)
ITS FREEE!!!!!
Just remember when you ask the government to take care of you, that is exactly what you will get.
They dont tell you about how you will be taken care of, who will pay and how much it will REALLY cost.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Health insurance companies should be federally regulated, halting collusion and price fixing, scrapping their anti-trust exemption. I'm sick and tired of of these scumbags making profits off sick folks by first taking their money for years then dumping them when they need it the most, and don't even mention this doesn't happen because I've seen it happen several times with several people including my wife. Car insurance companies do the same with bad drivers but in this case it's people who dare to use their health insurance. It's debasing and immoral. If I were you Danno I'd look at real estate as a career move..........soon
People can not be singled out for a rate or cancelation...they can pull out of the state entirely and get banned from future business in the state....usually for five years. T policies also get canceled when they go bankrupt but, they can't drop people because they got sick. They can rescind an individual policy if the person lied about something on their application that would have caused a decline. In that situation, all the premiums they paid are refunded, minus any claims they already paid for them. The reason the recission often happens when the policyholder is starting to put in large claims, is because in processing the current claims, records have been submitted from the providers for review and that's the first time their finding out there was an ommision or a lie. People become a lot more truthful and their memory also seems to get a lot better when the admitting nurse at the hospital you're about to get surgery at, asks you questions about your health history....they realize at that moment their life may depend on how accurate they are. That health history questionaire is part of the medical records they're going to be sending off with the claims they'll be submitting on the patients behalf.

Your car insurance among other things, is based on your driving record. When you apply, the insurance company is going to checking it before accepting you. They can check it using the drivers license you gave them.

A health insurance company can't check medical records for an illness you didn't tell them you had....if it wasn't disclosed how are they suppose to know what doctor you went to for treatment so can order records from them.

BTW, insurance companies have reinsurance to cover them for large claims...after a certain point...usually a couple hundred thousand....the reinsurer pays for therest of the claim.

One other thing, the companies are regulated already....each state has their own department of insurance. They have no incentivce what-so-ever to side with the insurance company.....it's quite the opposite if anything. If you feel you were wronged in any way by an insurance company, file a complaint and it with launch an investigation. Be prepared to go down and give a deposition....they'll be doig the same thing to everyone named in the complaint and then a decision will be made. If they did anything wrong, they'll get a heavy penalty and they'll get put on probation....that's serious, they can end up getting thrown out of the state for good. Go to an attorney as well, they get settlements even when the policyholder was the one that lied.

Last edited by Danno3314; 06-23-2010 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 05:34 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Obamacare-sounds more & more like a really bad trick was played on us..

What d'ya mean US, kemosabe? You having buyers remorse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies