Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Well again, you have to consider who his "target audience" is...
Americans.

Unless you're one of those stubborn conservatives that chooses not to listen to the entire speech because you'd rather listen to the :10 soundbites on Rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Well again, you have to consider who his "target audience" is...
Any presidential speech is a political act, so you have to think about it with a political mindset.

Any time a president (ANY president) makes a televised oval office speech during a time of crisis, one of the primary objectives is to assure the public that he is in control and is handling the situation.

People who support Obama are likely to feel that Obama is in control and is handling the situation, and they don't need to hear his speech as much as those who oppse him do.

Therefore, the target audience for this speech was people who are not Obama supporters.

So, that means the anti-Obama crowd are the ones who couldn't understand his speech.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

So, that means the anti-Obama crowd are the ones who couldn't understand his speech.
From the OP's link:

"Obama's nearly 10th-grade-level rating was the highest of any of his major speeches and well above the Grade 7.4 of his 2008 "Yes, we can" victory speech, which many consider his best effort, Payack said."

Nothing about pro vs anti Obama. It was addressing the nation's literacy and comprehension level.

To say a 7th grade speech was his best speaks volumes about American literacy and comprehension. To say a 10th grade speech was too hard to understand should send shivers up your spine about where we are in America.

With a 7th grade reading and comprehension ..what kind of future does that bode for America ? How many R&D scientists do you think we'll get from a batch of functionally illiterate High School graduates ?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From the OP's link:

"Obama's nearly 10th-grade-level rating was the highest of any of his major speeches and well above the Grade 7.4 of his 2008 "Yes, we can" victory speech, which many consider his best effort, Payack said."

Nothing about pro vs anti Obama. It was addressing the nation's literacy and comprehension level.

To say a 7th grade speech was his best speaks volumes about American literacy and comprehension. To say a 10th grade speech was too hard to understand should send shivers up your spine about where we are in America.

With a 7th grade reading and comprehension ..what kind of future does that bode for America ? How many R&D scientists do you think we'll get from a batch of functionally illiterate High School graduates ?
I was only addressing the "target audience" comment.

I agree that, in general, US citizens are not well educated.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
thanks for thinking about me.
You are welcome, and let me know which parts you had difficulty with and perhaps I can explain them to you.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Of coarse his "target audience" would be his supporters.

Language guru: Obama speech too 'professorial' for his target audience

"President Obama's speech on the gulf oil disaster may have gone over the heads of many in his audience, according to an analysis of the 18-minute talk released Wednesday."
It was also not in Spanish or Ebonics

Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Of coarse his "target audience" would be his supporters.

Language guru: Obama speech too 'professorial' for his target audience

"President Obama's speech on the gulf oil disaster may have gone over the heads of many in his audience, according to an analysis of the 18-minute talk released Wednesday."
I heard the speech was written for a 9.8 High School Level.

I am annoyed and there are no words that can reassure me.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I wonder how many people are even aware of that...
How could any one not realize this! this is not NEW NEWS.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 AM

383 posts, read 641,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Any presidential speech is a political act, so you have to think about it with a political mindset.

Any time a president (ANY president) makes a televised oval office speech during a time of crisis, one of the primary objectives is to assure the public that he is in control and is handling the situation.

People who support Obama are likely to feel that Obama is in control and is handling the situation, and they don't need to hear his speech as much as those who oppse him do.

Therefore, the target audience for this speech was people who are not Obama supporters.

Ummm...I'm not a supporter of Obama, and I didn't watch his speech. I watched Hells Kitchen which was much better.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
How could any one not realize this! this is not NEW NEWS.
I know but how many younger than 30 people realize that their SAT scores have been inflated by about 100 points or so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies