Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Your "facts" are all over the place, and are completely false.
Its hard to look at facts isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:47 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,500 times
My parents live in Orange BEach Alabama and I know first hand all the destruction that is being caused. People are loosing their income, beaches are being destroyed, and dead animals are showing up. I don't need any news channel telling me anything. My parents are there and I see real pictures from my dad's camera. YES there is destructon and it is devestating.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
My parents live in Orange BEach Alabama and I know first hand all the destruction that is being caused. People are loosing their income, beaches are being destroyed, and dead animals are showing up. I don't need any news channel telling me anything. My parents are there and I see real pictures from my dad's camera. YES there is destructon and it is devestating.
But how much of it is caused by the oil spill? Animals are always dieing on beaches and people are just now noticing it. Just like the reporter on TV last night who was like OMGOMOGMOG look at this dead fish-- KILLED BY THE OIL! When in reality we could ALL see this dead fish had been dead a long time-- probably before the oil spill. I mean heck-- it was all BONES! Exaggeration is never good.

People are ALWAYS losing their income. There are going to be so many bogus claims about loss of income to BP its going to be unbelievable!

But I agree-- oil can kill animals. How many though? I mean just last week as I stated before, we were informed by the environmental protection agency that 38 birds had died from the oil. 38!!

But if you ask someone on the street they would probably say-- GAH! The oil is killing millions of birds! (Thanks to the media portrayal)

Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
the CNN link that shows where the oil has migrated also shows where the fishing ban is--
those shrimpers/fishermen/oyster factories/restaurants/fish markets are not doing any work

it is a supply line that starts in the GULF and migrates (just like the oil) all the way up the local, state, national chain...

people are calling off vacations so rental home owners are losing bookings--restaurants those people would eat at won't serve them (if they had local fish to serve which is big part of the vacation business)...so they will have to lay off cooks, wait staff--they might fall behind in their rent and their taxes to the govt

this is just like a domino construct that covers HUGE area and when one is toppled they all go down...

BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Record dominoes toppled in one go

there just won't be the people cheering like the one on this link

Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
But how much of it is caused by the oil spill? Animals are always dieing on beaches and people are just now noticing it. Just like the reporter on TV last night who was like OMGOMOGMOG look at this dead fish-- KILLED BY THE OIL! When in reality we could ALL see this dead fish had been dead a long time-- probably before the oil spill. I mean heck-- it was all BONES! Exaggeration is never good.

People are ALWAYS losing their income. There are going to be so many bogus claims about loss of income to BP its going to be unbelievable!

But I agree-- oil can kill animals. How many though? I mean just last week as I stated before, we were informed by the environmental protection agency that 38 birds had died from the oil. 38!!

But if you ask someone on the street they would probably say-- GAH! The oil is killing millions of birds! (Thanks to the media portrayal)
Where do you get this "38" figure from? The Fish & Wildlife Commission says "783" birds killed.

[url]http://www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/posted/2931/FWNumbers_Web_16June_final.663847.pdf[/url

Are you calling all of the fishermen that have been interviewed by the media as a bunch of liars? If a fish appeared as "all bones", isn't it possible that other fish or wildlife may have fed on its dead carcass? The media may blow some things out, but I don't think that this is one of them.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
there are no so blind as those who will not see

Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
Keep in mind that Obama received a large chunk of money from BP as well during his campaign days, so this isn't a Rep. vs. Dem. issue. Politics is unfortunately getting in the way of the clean up effort. I believe the CEO of BP is concerned even though it's been a while, and I also believe they will make restitution for the victims of the oil spill. They've already agreed to provide funds for the victims and I know they'll give even more to as well. As for Barton's remarks, well he should've kept his mouth shut.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Holdiing BP responsible for the largest environmental disaster in history is common sense. The British can resent the critcism all they want but I would bet the opinion would be different if this was the English Channel.
Exactly. If an American company had experienced the same disaster off the coast of Britain, the people there would be calling for the heads of the American CEOs, and demanding compensation. And if this company was major in the economy of the US, people here would be upset about that. The British are not doing anything we wouldn't also do, and vise versa. Eventually, the relations between the two countries will get back to normal. The same can't be said for the Gulf, which will be affected for decades into the future. Our ability to clean up the environment after something like this is extremely limited. Rep. Burton is obviously beholding to the oil companies and will say whatever he can to keep the gravy train coming. Its a shame that he represents Texas.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Where do you get this "38" figure from? The Fish & Wildlife Commission says "783" birds killed.

[url]http://www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/posted/2931/FWNumbers_Web_16June_final.663847.pdf[/url

Are you calling all of the fishermen that have been interviewed by the media as a bunch of liars? If a fish appeared as "all bones", isn't it possible that other fish or wildlife may have fed on its dead carcass? The media may blow some things out, but I don't think that this is one of them.
I'm glad this was moved to the politics forum where it belongs.

Anyway, the 38 birds figure is confirmed birds dead from the oil released from the environmental protection agency. Not an estimate like the Fish and Wildlife Commission is pointing out. As in, they test the birds they find to keep track of this, of the 783 birds, 38 proved positive for killed by the oil spill. The others either died naturally or there wasn't enough evidence to link them to the oil spill.

Listen people, there are a lot of birds in this country. Thousands of birds die every day (even when no oil spill is around). I never see people getting upset when birds are shot by hunters every day. Whats the difference? The birds die either way.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Oh and the liar thing is a straw man argument. Are you calling all of the citizens working in the EPA liars? GOSH how dare you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies