Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

U.S. Rep. Joe Barton apologizes to BP CEO for '$20 billion shakedown' | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Politics: Top Stories

I wonder if he would be singing the same tune if it were the Texas coastline that was being destroyed...

I don't think that asking BP to actually put up money to cover part of the initial claims and prove that it will make that financial commitment is a shakedown as Barton termed it...
and the fact that BP has obviously underestimated the oil flow since day 1 of the disaster, has been a day late and dollar short for every action they have tried to cap the flow or capture the oil seems to have escaped Barton's censure...
just sucking up to big business and big oil--letting them know he is still in their pockets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
U.S. Rep. Joe Barton apologizes to BP CEO for '$20 billion shakedown' | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Politics: Top Stories

I wonder if he would be singing the same tune if it were the Texas coastline that was being destroyed...

I don't think that asking BP to actually put up money to cover part of the initial claims and prove that it will make that financial commitment is a shakedown as Barton termed it...
and the fact that BP has obviously underestimated the oil flow since day 1 of the disaster, has been a day late and dollar short for every action they have tried to cap the flow or capture the oil seems to have escaped Barton's censure...
just sucking up to big business and big oil--letting them know he is still in their pockets...
Wow.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,171 times
Republicans also want to keep the liability cap where it is. It's obvious who they serve. Republican Party rejects liability cap bill again - Meredith Shiner - POLITICO.com

Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I don't know that changed the liability cap is going to help make BP MORE liable since the law would have to be retroactive AND would target one company in particular--which is illegal according to what I have read about other bills designed to target 1 specific company...
unlike a bill that can be introduced to BENEFIT one particular company or individual -- which has happened in the past...

one significant reason BP has so vehemently underestimated the flow of contaminant out of the well is because of the law about damages for the Clean Water polllution act--IF BP had acknowledged that the well was a prodigious producer (which it certainly is) they would probably already have exceeded the amount that they agreed to put into escrow...
amd that fine is NOT part of the 20billion -- so the US needs to get cracking on calling in THOSE fines/damages

Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Here's Rep ****hole's congressional website. Please write him with your thoughts: Joe Barton Congressman - 6th District of Texas (http://joebarton.house.gov/ContactJoe.aspx?Type=Contact - broken link)

Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Default TX Congressman Joe Barton (moved from Austin Forum)

Here's *******'s message page on his congressional website. Write the Hon. Piece of **** and let him know what you think: Joe Barton Congressman - 6th District of Texas (http://joebarton.house.gov/ContactJoe.aspx?Type=Contact - broken link)

Last edited by Bo; 06-18-2010 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Replaced veiled profanity. If you must use those words, type them in a way that C-D's filter can render them within the rules

Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
about what?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:14 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times
740 million gals of oil are released into the ocean every year (from motor oil dumped by people, and natural ocean floor seeps). People need to relax!!! An article I read last week said the oil spill has killed 38 birds! Do people know how many birds die every day from hunters in the country? Relax people. The media is blowing this way out of proportion. These fisherman know that fishing in the gulf is a risk-- just like the farmer knows that farming has risk of drought. No one comes and pays me when the risks I take don't make me money...

Also, the real people to blame for this are the environmentalists. They are why BP was drilling in 5000' deep water in the first place (the environmentalist pushed for regulations to stop drilling near the shore). If this well was drilled near the shore, then this so called "disaster" (as the media would have you believe) would have been capped in one day.

Also, Obama is just making it harder for BP to pay back its damages. Good job Obama! Another failure. When are we going to kick him out and elect someone who knows what they are talking about?

Also, STOP WATCHING RACHEL MADDOW. SHE IS AN IDIOT. She goes on and on about how most republicans own "bp stock" in some form or another-- NEWS FLASH-- almost anyone who has a 401K partially owns some BP STOCK. It's called INTERNATIONAL MUTUAL FUNDS. I guarantee yours probably is made up of 3% BP stock. So technically you are probably a BP shareholder. So technically you are also partially responsible for this "disaster."

Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times
And what destruction? Every time I turn on the news I see these reporters on the beach in Louisiana screaming about the destruction of the beach while people in the background are surfing, laying out, playing volleyball. Its funny these reporters are like "OMGOMGOMOGMG! Look at this black rock! THIS IS DESTRUCTION! Look at this black rock formed by OIL! Look at this dead snail-- DESTROYED by this black rock of oil! GAHHH! Devastation!" When in reality the beach looks clean as ever.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,830 times
Let's face it, BP was shaken down. The question is, do you support the "shake down?" I think most Americans do. We do however, have to be careful in our shake down so that we leave the business in a condition that will allow it to compensate its victims for their tremendous loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies