Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,276,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
According to FactCheck.org, employees & their spouses from Exxon, Hess, Shell, Conoco, and Chevron contributed more than BP to Obama's campaign. I'd also like to point out that oil company execs and employees have been backing presidential candidates for decades. It's never fair to just pin it on any one president or party. I'm not accusing you of that. I just wanted to clarify. I think there needs to be a major priority shift with politicians. I seriously believe that they represent themselves and their cohorts; they aren't representing the people.
I am perfectly comfortable with companies, organizations or people donating any amount of money to politicians as long as it's listed immediately and available to the public.

But I doubt BP's contributions to the Obama campaign had anything to do with his poor response to the spill. It's more likely his lack of any kind of managerial experience and the ideological hacks he surrounds himself with are contributing to the ongoing disaster.

Everyone knew he would be learning on the job, but who knew we'd be losing the Gulf of Mexico. You libs still love this guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,132,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I am perfectly comfortable with companies, organizations or people donating any amount of money to politicians as long as it's listed immediately and available to the public.

But I doubt BP's contributions to the Obama campaign had anything to do with his poor response to the spill. It's more likely his lack of any kind of managerial experience and the ideological hacks he surrounds himself with are contributing to the ongoing disaster.

Everyone knew he would be learning on the job, but who knew we'd be losing the Gulf of Mexico. You libs still love this guy?
While I agree with almost all you say here, I have to say that I think that Rahm saying that you can't waste a good crisis is involved and his advisors are telling him to keep this cleanup going as long as possible to make sure that it all stretches into late August of September. They are using this thing to further their need for Cap and Trade.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:59 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,594,672 times
If the OP means that anyone who took oil money should be voted out post-haste, that's a fair point.

However, just transferring power from one party that soaked up oil money to another party that did the same thing seems like a case of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Quote:
Remember the libs and green machine [ I'm all for green when it make sense } that forced them to drill in mile deep water
I'm not sure how this particular meme got started, since Jeb Bush's own drilling proposal from 2008 would have prohibited drilling from within 100 miles of Florida's shores. George Bush signed an order prohibiting drilling within 25 miles of the Gulf Coast back in 2002, during a press conference with Jeb.

There has been very little desire among mainstream politicians of any party since at least the 1940's to allow drilling within easy distance of Gulf coast beaches.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:58 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,021,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePeople View Post
Bush took a ton of heat for Katrina and that was millions of individuals affected by mother nature.

Our "lead of Change" has a singular issue that can devastate our oceans and the POS sits on his hands and continues to play politician.

This is Change? This is HOPE?

This is nothing new.

Drop Obama come election time. I want a president who is Pro America and will protect our land. This clown isnt about much more than looking good for interviews.

Go shoot some hoops Barack.
This doesnt make any sense.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:25 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,246,338 times
Obama is already toxic to the entire dem party. Add in his lack of leadership and you have a win win for the republicans come November.

Have you noticed not ONE single democrat has stepped up to the plate with a solution for this spill or any other major issue?

The dems party has no leader, no boss, no intelligence and absolutely nothing but failures to run on.

The entire country knows Obama was a huge mistake and a total disappointment. Add in the worse congress in American history and I think you will see the rep take over the house easily and maybe have a great shot at the Senate. If things continue to fail apart from now to November we just might be able to take over both sides.

The dems have been in control of 3 1/2 years and their lousy record proves they need to go. Not one single major accomplishment in 3 1/2 years is totally ridiculous.

Anyone remember Nancy Pelosi ( campaign promise ) saying she was going after big oil and was going to take them down. Well Nancy, if you had done what you promised we would not have this oil spill to deal with now would we?

Hey Nancy thanks for getting those big oil guys for us. NOT!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:46 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,043,163 times
When Katrina happened, all I heard from Republicans is that people shouldn't be so dependent upon the government to help them out. Republican= less government / less dependency on the government.
So here we are with the gulf spill and all I hear from Republicans is where is the government action!
I'm so confused as what Republicans really want!
Is it less government involvement or more?

Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 AM

38,603 posts, read 26,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
Are you confused or what? I'd really like to hear your explanation as to how any of this is Obama's fault? Do you want him to pull off his suit and transform into superman and swim down and plug the hole with a giant bolder? Perhaps it was his fault the rig exploded in the first place then sank. You are completely clueless and probably hated Obama before he even became president. Your Republican American loving "pals" are the ones who are so pro drill baby drill so please go read a book before you make ridiculous posts like the one you have.

OK...

Federal documents show that the Department of the Interior's Minerals Management Service (MMS) gave BP a "categorical exclusion" on April 6, 2009 to commence drilling with Deepwater Horizon even though it had not produced the impact study required by a law known as the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).

Obama sheltered BP's Deepwater Horizon rig from regulatory requirement

BP submitted its drilling plan to the MMS on March 10, 2009. Rather than subject the plan to a detailed environmental review before approving it as required by the National Environmental Policy Act, the agency declared the plan to be “categorically excluded” from environmental analysis because it posed virtually no chance of harming the environment.

Obama Could Have Prevented the Deepwater Horizon Disaster | The Seminal

Well, we looked at the oil drilling permits being issued by the Minerals Management Service in the Gulf, and we were shocked to find out that they were approving hundreds of massive oil drilling permits using this categorical exclusion instead of doing a full environmental impact study. And then, we found out that BP's drilling permit-the very one that exploded-was done under this loophole and so it was never reviewed by the federal government at all. It was just rubber-stamped.

Even as the BP drilling explosion which killed eleven people continues to gush hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil per day into the Gulf of Mexico, the U.S. Department of Interior's Minerals Management Service (MMS) has continued to exempt dangerous new drilling operations from environmental review. Twenty-seven new offshore drilling projects have been approved since April 20, 2010; twenty-six under the same environmental review exemption used to approve the disastrous BP drilling that is fouling the Gulf and its wildlife.

Open Left:: BP, Deep Off-Shore Drilling Escape All Meaningful Regulation

Old 06-21-2010, 06:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,495,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
...we do have to drive 55 miles one direction to shop at a Walmart, 67 miles in another, 90 to another and 66 to another. Sometimes with distances like that we need gasoline just to go shopping. I drive 140 miles one way to get to my periodontist up to 3 times a month and will until the implant process is over. Ain't fun to blame poor souls in the sticks with that lining up at the gas station?
I choose to live in communities where amenities are available so that I am NOT negatively impacting the environment with my other choices. Living with community also allows me to bike to work, take a bus, and shop in local businesses that sell local goods.

Life is about choices, and it looks like you've made several that are not really working for the long-term needs.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 AM

10,876 posts, read 13,759,851 times
Quote:
Bush took a ton of heat for Katrina and that was millions of individuals affected by mother nature.

Our "lead of Change" has a singular issue that can devastate our oceans and the POS sits on his hands and continues to play politician.

This is nothing new.

Drop Obama come election time. I want a president who is Pro America and will protect our land. This clown isnt about much more than looking good for interviews.

"Go shoot some hoops Barack"?? Unbelievable...

I think you need to realize obama has been doing everything he can to get things going. BP screwed up and caused this major disaster from lax rules set in place by the bush admin. It's BP's issue to fix. When the dems laid the hammer down on big oil, the right dropped to their knees and apologized!
The right and big oil go hand in hand. If you want people that are going to stand up for america, and not the interests of big oil, VOTE DEMOCRAT!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,072,200 times
Quote:

This is nothing new.

I will pay attention at election time, I always do and always vote Democrat.

I don't have to remember the Republicans defense and protection of a Corporation which caused one of the biggest disasters in American history, killed 11 Americans, destroyed American's livliehood, and American homes, the environment, destroyed wildlife...
all out of greed and indifference to safety.

I don't have to remember because that is just Republican standards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies