Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,424 times

Advertisements

Bush started the fence. The fence is said to have slowed the flow. This is where the fence ends. Obama cut the funding and plans to cut it more next year.

The problem has been around for a long time but is getting much worse. Something desperately needs to be done. Obama offers up to 1200 National Guard units for the entire border, unarmed, but sends 17,000 to the Gulf.

Could it be because Mc Cain is from Arizona and he would put the safety of all those people at risk in the name of POLITICS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I'm one of those environuts and I don't see a problem with temporary outposts along the boarder lol. Your trying the pull things out of the air and its getting sad. How would it be more controversial to stop people from climbing over a fence in the process, did you even read the post you quoted from me?
I am with you build out posts, but I think it would meet resistance.

From thin air:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/us/21fence.html

"The Department of Homeland Security is ahead of schedule in building some 700 miles of fencing along the Mexican border, but some environmental groups, elected officials and local Indian tribes say too little attention is being paid to the environmental consequences of the barriers."

Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am with you build out posts, but I think it would meet resistance.

From thin air:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/us/21fence.html

"The Department of Homeland Security is ahead of schedule in building some 700 miles of fencing along the Mexican border, but some environmental groups, elected officials and local Indian tribes say too little attention is being paid to the environmental consequences of the barriers."
I'm not saying they don't have a problem with a huge 700 mile fence. I'm curious why you think they would have a problem though with a 10x6 wooden outpost that could be torn down in a day?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying they don't have a problem with a huge 700 mile fence. I'm curious why you think they would have a problem though with a 10x6 wooden outpost that could be torn down in a day?
Because the left doesn't want it and they will throw up obstacles to it. See environmentalists.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,424 times
Border patrol is not allowed to patrol this area in vehicles because of the environmental impact yet you should see the trash left behind by the smugglers. The environmental concern with the fence is that the animals, meaning wildlife, would not be able to cross it.

It is a National Park. Federal funds should be used to maintain it and keep it safe.

Isn't Janet Napolitano from Arizona? Guess the keyword is FROM

Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Because the left doesn't want it and they will throw up obstacles to it. See environmentalists.
I know what environmentalist are. They are trying to protect the environment. The problem with a 700 mile fence along the boarder is that it keeps animals from crossing over. What if they live in one area but rely on something else in another area, you are creating an unnatural object that prevents creatures from getting around if they need to. I don't see what outposts do. Would you care to explain what it would do?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Border patrol is not allowed to patrol this area in vehicles because of the environmental impact yet you should see the trash left behind by the smugglers. The environmental concern with the fence is that the animals, meaning wildlife, would not be able to cross it.

It is a National Park. Federal funds should be used to maintain it and keep it safe.

Isn't Janet Napolitano from Arizona? Guess the keyword is FROM
Have the cameras look into mexico from the fences and have enough outpost to where the border patrol can predict where they are coming from from a distance. Then get over there ahead of time by bike (oh imagine that a bike).

Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 PM

314 posts, read 414,407 times
thats insane they just want us to think they care its not important to them so put some little camaras up to shut people up and think there actually doing anything we are like guinea pigs to them. i just think that more could of been done

Last edited by mask of thought; 06-17-2010 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
What was the reason it was stopped? Sources?
Virtual and real fences stopped.

'Virtual Fence' Along U.S.-Mexico Border Halted as Napolitano Shifts Funding

"The building of a "virtual fence" along the U.S.-Mexico border has come to a virtual halt -- by order of the Obama Administration. The Department of Homeland Security , citing delays and Cost Overruns for the project, has decided to shift $50 million in economic Stimulus funds set aside for the "fence," to other purposes related to border Security. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said she would freeze work on the five-year plan to mount sensors and other Surveillance gear along..."

Obama's budget proposal cuts border fence funds | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | National Politics (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/national/stories/050809dnnatborderfence.4053ed2.html - broken link)

Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
What you having for dinner?
A little Mexican leftover (no pun intended ) and, considering tail end of the week, a carry out from a Turkish restaurant, my favorite... Karisik Izgara.

Now business...

Quote:
Not much commentary needed. Res ipsa loquitur.
Well, you sure expect others to provide it. Anyway, here we go:
1- As I have said, the video title fits trolling.
2- The land has been closed since 2006. Faux News is at it, presenting the content to the non-thinkers (AKA listeners), as a recent development. And here you're, presenting it without thinking, much less doing any kind of analysis.
3- Have you considered the 3500 acre fact along 80 miles accounts for a strip of about 360 feet that forms the border. Do people really go for picnic in those areas?
4- While this piece of land was closed in 2006 due to security concerns (no matter how cleverly Fox News tries, it can't fool anybody with a functioning brain who cares enough to look it up, if not already aware of the facts), it is not unusual for parts of national refuge to be closed to public.

Not sure if I covered it all, but this should work for now. What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies