Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
The total debt did increase all the way through the Clinton years but my gawd-a-mitey.
Translation: I was wrong when I said debt went down.. Why didnt you just say so?
Quote:
Reagan/Bush41 quadrupled the national debt and consequently the interest on the national debt.
Presidents dont spend... Congress does.. Remind me again how the national debt is doing since Democrats took over Congress in 2007?
Quote:
When Reagan took over the interest on the debt was less than $40 billion a year. When he and Bush left office it was five times that.
Since you think its presidents who control this, then why arent you crediting Bush with DECREASING this to $186.9B, and now its projected to go up to $768.2B, thereby quadrupling by Obama?
Net Interest Spending on National Debt Will Quadruple over the Next Decade
Quote:
Clinton balanced the mess they left by raising taxes back to the level it was before Reagan.
I just showed you GOVERNMENTS data showing it was never balanced. Besides, you JUST admitted total debt increased through Clinton years.. See your FIRST sentence here..
Quote:
Keep on making up stuff there Ann.
Resort to name calling when someone disputes your made up beliefs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Translation: I was wrong when I said debt went down.. Why didnt you just say so?

Presidents dont spend... Congress does.. Remind me again how the national debt is doing since Democrats took over Congress in 2007?

Since you think its presidents who control this, then why arent you crediting Bush with DECREASING this to $186.9B, and now its projected to go up to $768.2B, thereby quadrupling by Obama?
Net Interest Spending on National Debt Will Quadruple over the Next Decade

I just showed you GOVERNMENTS data showing it was never balanced. Besides, you JUST admitted total debt increased through Clinton years.. See your FIRST sentence here..

Resort to name calling when someone disputes your made up beliefs..
The total national debt quadrupled under Reagan/Bush41 after he cut taxes with half going to the upper 1% of taxpayers.

Bill Clinton took over a debt of $4.3 trillion and left a debt of $5.7 trillion but with a route set to pay off the national debt by 2012...he did generate $450 billion of surplus and paid it on the debt.

George W. Bush assumed a $5.7 trillion debt and immediately cut taxes in 2001 and again in 2003. Half of the cuts by default were routed to the upper 1% of taxpayers.

Bush then doubled the debt to $11 trillion with a nearly half a trillion a year...every year of interest. Say anything your little heart desires but that's history. You or Ann or anybody else can't change it.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Personal attacks with no merit. I believe that is rule #1 on the right wing crybaby playbook.
Its not a personal attack how am I responsible because someone else is in poverty? Somethings are just reality

Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Its not a personal attack how am I responsible because someone else is in poverty? Somethings are just reality
Yeah...the reality is that rich folks used to pay their way and now they ***** and growl if they even have to pay the same rate as what used to be the middle class. In the 1950's anybody who earned more than $300,000 per annum was taxed at 93% of the amount above that. 'Course back then the rich also served in the military and helped win wars. Now their big concern is which ivy league school their offspring will attend and how rich they will become.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:56 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
The total national debt quadrupled under Reagan/Bush41 after he cut taxes with half going to the upper 1% of taxpayers.

Bill Clinton took over a debt of $4.3 trillion and left a debt of $5.7 trillion but with a route set to pay off the national debt by 2012...he did generate $450 billion of surplus and paid it on the debt.

George W. Bush assumed a $5.7 trillion debt and immediately cut taxes in 2001 and again in 2003. Half of the cuts by default were routed to the upper 1% of taxpayers.

Bush then doubled the debt to $11 trillion with a nearly half a trillion a year...every year of interest. Say anything your little heart desires but that's history. You or Ann or anybody else can't change it.

Tax receipts doubled under Reagan.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Some facts so we can discuss reality…

In 1980 the top marginal rate was 70%
By 1988 the top marginal rate was 28%

GHWB raised the top marginal rate to 31%
Bill Jefferson Clinton raised the rate to 39.6%
GWB lowered the top marginal rate to 35% by 2003. (note: the rate was stepped down over 3 years to get to this rate)

Bill Jefferson did not raise the rate to where it was before Reagan lowered it.
Second, GWB lowered the rate from 39.6% to 35% a drop of 4.6 percentage point…. For those who can do basic math, that would be an 11.6% drop in overall rate.

As a side note, George Bush also lowered the rate on the poorest tax payers from 10% to 0% and began a process that actually allows certain credits to pay people back more than they pay in taxes. So under GWB the poorest actually paid no taxes (where they did under Clinton) and additionally got money back from the IRS (where they had not under Clinton)

As a second side note, the next lowest marginal tax bracket was dropped from 15% to 10%. That is a 33% tax cut for this second bracket.

More fun with numbers

A 2005 study projected the following.
The top 1% of income earners earned 16.5% of all income in the USA. They paid 33.7% of all income taxes collected.
The top 5% earned 31% of all income in the USA and paid 54.1% of all income taxes collected.
The top 10% earned 42.1% of all income in the USA and paid 65.8% of all income taxes collected.
The top 25% earned 64.7% of all income in the USA and paid 83.6 of all income taxes collected.
The top 50% earned 86.1% of all income in the USA and paid 96.4% of all income taxes collected
While the bottom 50% of income earners earned13.9% of all income in the USA and paid 3.6% of all income taxes collected.

These numbers were based in large part on a 2002 study from the department of Treasury:
http://treas.gov/press/releases/reports/factsheetwhopaysmostindividualincometaxes.update.p df

Additionally
Under Reagan, the tax burden paid by the to 20% of tax payers rose from 66% to 72%.

Now that you have some facts, go back and refigure why you are mad at Rich people. I am sure there are still plenty of reasons for the envy.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
The tax cuts went to everyone. If you pay more, you would receive more.. ITS A CUT... Must have failed math!!
Quote:
HE DID NOT generate a surplus.. WHERE IS IT? I showed you the chart right from the federal government. WHERE IS THE SURPLUS? He generated a decrease in federal deficit as a PERCENTAGE of GDP, but thats not a surplus... He generated a surplus in the general budget, but he did so because he BORROWED money from the intragovernmental holdings budget.. If you mortgage your home and take out $100K cash and stick it in the bank, do you get to claim you profited $100K this year? Thats what Clinton did..
Quote:
Again, tax CUTS go to people who PAY taxes.. Admit it, math was difficult for you in school...
Quote:
WRONG, $186B went to interest.. Where on gods earth do you get your figures.. you pulling this outta your ass? Its OBAMA who will increase this to $768B.. did you look at the chart? Why arent you whining about the projected spending on interest because you sure were pretending projected surpluses under Clinton were valid, even though THEY DIDNT EXIST..

And finally, to continue to embarrass you.. ALL SPENDING IS DONE BY CONGRESS. Republicans have held Congress for a TOTAL of 8 years, out of the last 40.. and 4 of those, you just claimed resulted in surpluses.. How many did Democrats have?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah...the reality is that rich folks used to pay their way and now they ***** and growl if they even have to pay the same rate as what used to be the middle class. In the 1950's anybody who earned more than $300,000 per annum was taxed at 93% of the amount above that. 'Course back then the rich also served in the military and helped win wars. Now their big concern is which ivy league school their offspring will attend and how rich they will become.
And whats the tax rate for EVERYONE ELSE? If person A pays 40%, and person B pays a NEGATIVE 40%.. WHY IS THAT FAIR? Its not the amount they pay, its the inconsistancy of the tax rates under attack..

Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
For those who look to Bill Clinton as a budget fixer, please tell me what measures he used to fix the budget and in what year did the budget start moving along a better trend line?

(PS while I do not agree with those that say he did not grenerate a real surplus I do agree that during those years, the entire government budget did improve the trend)

Old 06-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Tax receipts doubled under Reagan.
The debt and interest on the debt quadrupled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies