U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:20 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,054,563 times

Advertisements

"Republicans in Congress still haven't convinced the party faithful that they have their best interests in mind." Rasmussen Reports

72% of GOP Voters Say Republicans In Congress Out of Touch With Their Base - Rasmussen Reports™

This came out this Wednesday, before the GOP leadership decided to bash Rep. Barton, one of their own, for criticizing this administration.

IMO, if the GOP doesn't have the backbone to support their own, they are going to be unpleasantly surprised this November. They might get more independents than the Democrats, but they are going to sacrifice their base.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 03:22 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,777,246 times
My hope is that like the Reign of Terror gobbling up the very men who supported executing the king, or Cronus eating his own children, so will the GOP be swallowed by shifting to the far right this past year.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:23 PM

19,889 posts, read 17,060,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
"Republicans in Congress still haven't convinced the party faithful that they have their best interests in mind." Rasmussen Reports

72% of GOP Voters Say Republicans In Congress Out of Touch With Their Base - Rasmussen Reports™

This came out this Wednesday, before the GOP leadership decided to bash Rep. Barton, one of their own, for criticizing this administration.

IMO, if the GOP doesn't have the backbone to support their own, they are going to be unpleasantly surprised this November. They might get more independents than the Democrats, but they are going to sacrifice their base.

What Barton said was stupid and bad politics.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:25 PM

12,387 posts, read 12,117,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Agreed but he expressed the sentiments of the Grand Oil Party.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:26 PM

23,837 posts, read 20,882,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
My hope is that like the Reign of Terror gobbling up the very men who supported executing the king, or Cronus eating his own children, so will the GOP be swallowed by shifting to the far right this past year.
This is where the lefties often get it wrong. There has been no shift to the "far right." There has been a shift back to the right from the middle. The GOP has strayed away from its conservative roots. The shift is back to conservatism. The fringe do not inhabit the right. They inhabit the fringe.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:27 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,054,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Bad politics? Absolutely. Stupid - I don't think so. I don't trust this administration with a 20 billion dollar slushfund.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,777,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is where the lefties often get it wrong. There has been no shift to the "far right." There has been a shift back to the right from the middle. The GOP has strayed away from its conservative roots. The shift is back to conservatism. The fringe do not inhabit the right. They inhabit the fringe.
For sure, when the Republicans had absolute power from 2003-2007, they were not governing the way they now claim they would. The question is whether, if given the chance again, they would govern the way they're now claiming.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 PM

10,876 posts, read 12,508,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
He really let the cat out of the bag showing the true side of the republican party. The right is going to have a hell of a time now in november.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,648,092 times
I think the democrats are also realizing that they have strayed from their base as well. Both parties have been corrupted by power.

As for the gop.......there is definately a lot going on behind the scenes. I think that the loss of so many reps to libertarianism and independents is worrying the gop a lot. They have to decide now which direction the party is heading; back to conservatism which means minimal governmental intrusion into personal rights (gay marriage would become a non issue for example) and actual fiscal conservatism OR stay the evangelical course with its big goverment and need for a moralistic nanny state.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:34 PM

18,222 posts, read 10,158,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
he may have expressed the sentiments of some in power in the GOP but he did not express the sentiments of the BASE.

I am part of that base. Barton stuck his foot in a pile of bull crap then stuck that in his own mouth.

it was idiotic.... at best.

I don’t disagree with the poll though I have not done more than a brief look at the details.

The thing the Republicans in congress better get thru their thick skulls is, if they want support, they better be all about cutting spending.

This is not about cutting taxes. we have cut taxes and cut taxes and while I am happy about that, the other half of the equation is cutting spending and that better be the plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies