Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
It's the dynamic and "stuff" of EVERYTHING in the world. There is no world at all without polar opposites.
Absolutely true, but when one becomes so entrenched at one pole or the other, we end up not with a globe but a coin with two sides that is infinitely thin, to the point you only have two dimensions. However for the individual on one pole or the other, its a single dimension that only echo's what is already believed to be true as it is incapable of hearing the other side and never grow, just merely stagnate in what they already know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
To stray ever so briefly from topic, I would love to have a thread on the roots and psychology of partisanship, but fear of it becoming too partisan has prevented me from doing so thus far. Who knows, maybe I'll catch a wild hair some morning.
Ahhh, the irony.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
She is trying to divert the topic away from the Obama failure to lead.

So why did she wait until now to tell us all of this. She has been on TV for what almost 2 years?

Then the red headed psycho on MSNBC named Ed ( After Ed the horse I assume ) is saying that we do not need oil with all the other energy we have available.

Has the left wingers gone mad or what?

They seem to be confused about this oil issue being tagged on Obama.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
At least Maddow has the integrity to criticize someone that she ultimatley supports when she is in disagreement...

Rachel Maddow: The Speech We Should Have Heard From Obama

http://crooksandliars.com/nicole-belle/rachel-maddow-speech-we-should-have- (broken link)

Old 06-19-2010, 07:13 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
This is smoke and mirrors The truth is we're not going to be independant from oil any time soon and cutting back our consumption or making it cost more through cap and trade is just dumb. Its an economy killer. China and India won't do it, neither will we.
Cutting off our domestic oil production is also dumb. This is a devastating accident and I think its sick the way supposed "green" politicians are trying to exploit it to further their own agendas. We should be expediting some way to end this leak instead of letting it get worse and then say we need to stop drilling because oil is so dangerous and polluting.
Obama lets OPEC gain a stranglehold on the US economy more then ever. Its beyond idiocy or insanity, its treasonous. I have to wonder if BP doesn't come out of all this with an even stronger presence. If you were on the hook for billions in dollars of clean up costs, wouldn't you make as much money as you could? What better way than to jack up the price of oil? If Bush did this they'd call him a genius and a criminal.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

Rachel is such a liberal tool. Put a quarter in her and she spits out the latest left wing propaganda, as told by Barry.

Apparently she does not remember the oil embargo which crippled the US econonmy in the 1970s. Perhaps she has never read history and learned about the oil and iron embargo that FDR imposed on the Japanese prior to ww2.

Strategic natural resources can be, and has been, used as a political weapon. Those nations which lack such resources are putting the economy and safety of thier citizens in jeopardy. Wake up.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:57 AM

39 posts, read 74,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm labeled a "conservative" and a "right winger" and even a "repug" here quite regularly, and I'm not a Christian, nor have I ever claimed to be one.

Welcome, and don't let the turkeys get you down.
As I'm regularly labeled a liberal, a Marxist, a terrorist sympathizer, I can understand your feelings. I find most often those that resort to claiming victory in debate by proclaiming me a liberal cannot describe what a liberal actually is, nor can they pinpoint any opinions I have that would put me in the liberal camp. My views and positions on politics actually would make it virtually impossible to cubby hole me into a convent "enemy" category.

And there is no doubt the abuses goes both ways. That being said, it was a stark contrast between the two initial threads i read. The conservative talk show host thread is multiple pages. I admit, I only scanned about three, but the discussion was allowed to go on without the non-conservatives interjecting numerous disruptions and attacks. I also watched the Maddow piece. It certainly had a lot of thought and ideas that a nation in our situation should at least consider and debate in a rational manner. But it wasn't to be as the people who find Maddow irritating (sorry if i assume them to be fringe right wing christian types, but that's hardly an absurd assumption) immediately turned the thread into yet another sophomoric insult fest. Nothing new, but it's depressing, knowing the dire straights our country is in, that the lowest level of society is able to keep any rational discussion amongst adults from happening.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
At least Maddow has the integrity to criticize someone that she ultimatley supports when she is in disagreement...

Rachel Maddow: The Speech We Should Have Heard From Obama

http://crooksandliars.com/nicole-belle/rachel-maddow-speech-we-should-have- (broken link)

That is funny as hell. Rachel Maddow CRITICIZING Obama!?!?!?

Let's see someone from MSNBC actually critically analyzing any of the marxist POLICY of Obama and reporting on his shady activities, not just saying he should have had a "better" speech.

MSNBC has given Obama a pass on EVERYTHING and will not say one critical line about any of his policy. They are a propaganda wing of the far left and will never betray thier master.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:19 AM

39 posts, read 74,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

the marxist POLICY of Obama

What Marxist policy would you be referring to?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:00 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Rachel is such a liberal tool. Put a quarter in her and she spits out the latest left wing propaganda, as told by Barry.

Apparently she does not remember the oil embargo which crippled the US econonmy in the 1970s. Perhaps she has never read history and learned about the oil and iron embargo that FDR imposed on the Japanese prior to ww2.

Strategic natural resources can be, and has been, used as a political weapon. Those nations which lack such resources are putting the economy and safety of thier citizens in jeopardy. Wake up.
Had she studied Political Science rather than Political Philosophy, she might have a better grasp on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies