Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I emailed Dr. Laura once to let her know how I felt about the way she had treated one of her callers. (She sounded and acted like a 7 year old who was ridiculing a classmate.) Told her I thought she was very unprofessional to ridicule him the way she did and that she owed him an apology. Got a personal reply back--(I assume it was her)--explaining why she did what she did and it was signed by her. I emailed back that there was NO reasonable explanation for treating a caller that way and that my respect for her had dropped off the chart. Have not listened to her since. Don't even know if she is still on the air.
I used to listen to her show and my daughter said it was just so I could yell at the radio LOL

When I used to do evening shift check encoding I listened to a LOT of talk radio but never had the chance to call in as I was working.

I did call in a lot when I was in Australia, but there it's known as TalkBACK radio, for a reason - it seems to me that in OZ it's more about the callers than the host pontificating endlessly as it seems to be here on some shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
I always wanted to call Bill Oreilly when he had his show on the air. He was more like a real radio talk show host than any of the other big nationally syndicated hosts. He never just orated( Michael Savage does this to an extreme and Rush is almost as bad) and took a lot of calls and listened to people. He had access to top level experts as well and had good co hosts. I like Mark Levine's bluntness and Laura Ingraham, she's on top of the issues and has devestatingly biting wit.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I wonder who these people are that call in to talk shows and actually speak with the host on air. Sometimes I think many of the callers are plants.
What were your experiences?
humm, I call into one almost every week, and several others on specific foreign policy topics. I call in to CSPAN's Washington Journal on a fairly regular basis and was even granted an extended period of time to debate Max Boot on air back before the Iraq war.

btw... ty WJ for posting that link to the PNAC website that Max denied on air of existing.

Does this make me a junkie?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 AM

23,841 posts, read 24,087,427 times
I called into Alan Colmes' show once. He was asking where all the people that are uninsured AND against universal health care were. As soon as he found out that I was both uninsured and against UHC, he started yelling about things that were completely off topic (Iraq war) and hung up on me. That's his usual style - if someone disagrees with him, he'll run them over and drop the call. The exception is if you sound like a complete idiot, in which case he'll let you make a fool of yourself for as long as he can. He's such a jerk.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:32 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,077,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Thanks......

Now, Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money......

Heh.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
I wonder who these people are that call in to talk shows and actually speak with the host on air. Sometimes I think many of the callers are plants.
About ten years ago I came home for lunch and turned on the TV. Nothing interesting was on the main stations so I turned the channel to one of the three cheesy, low power stations my TV could receive. I discovered that one of the stations was showing bad movies with a live host appearing during commercials.

Well, during one commercial this somewhat rotund host asked the viewing audience what specific movies they wanted to see. He announced that he would give two free movie tickets to any AMC theater to the first caller with a movie suggestion. So as I ate a sandwich, I watched as the host waited for the first caller to ring his telephone. Although it was only a few minutes, it seemed like his phone was silent forever. After finishing my sandwich I decided to call. I called more out of pity for this host than to get the movie tickets.

Anyhow, the guy seemed relieved when his telephone finally rang with my call. It was kind of weird, watching the host on TV as I talked to him over the phone. I told him that the movie I wanted to see on his program was Dog Day Afternoon. I explained that since it was a steamy summer day, what could be better to watch with a bottle of beer than Dog Day Afternoon. He chuckled and then admitted that Dog Day Afternoon was both too new, and too good a movie for him to show on his two-bit movie program. So I said, "Okay, how about Plan 9 From Outer Space. That's a crap movie if ever there were one."

He promised to get the movie if he could. He then took my name and address off the air for purposes of sending me the two movie tickets. That was about a decade ago and the tickets have yet to arrive.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I called into Alan Colmes' show once. He was asking where all the people that are uninsured AND against universal health care were. As soon as he found out that I was both uninsured and against UHC, he started yelling about things that were completely off topic (Iraq war) and hung up on me. That's his usual style - if someone disagrees with him, he'll run them over and drop the call. The exception is if you sound like a complete idiot, in which case he'll let you make a fool of yourself for as long as he can. He's such a jerk.
The conservatives do the same thing. I have been hung up on by Boortz. They will let somebody who sounds dumb talk all day but if you are smart and can make your point and make them look stupid, they will cut you off. I have made Boortz look stupid twice and he hung up on me twice.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:23 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Thanks......

Now, Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money......

Heh.
I LOVE that song.
Haven't heard it in quite a while.

Long live Warren Zevon!
RIP

Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
Default They Cut Objectors Off

Quote:
If you disagree with any of these talk show hosts, they just talk over you, or cut you off, or do their best to make even a well-spoken knowledgeable person sound stupid, instead of having a true reasonable discussion.

I wouldn't waste my time calling them. In fact, I quit listening to most of those shows because the hosts are only saying these ridiculous things to get attention and increase listener numbers! Let's face it--they are entertainers.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:39 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,734 times
I have called in and spoken to Neal Boortz twice on a couple of topics. Also met him a his Fairtax book signing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies