Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Very unclear post. I don't know who you are referring to by "some" and "one". If you mean only one happy with a 3 day weekend, well, FOX only quoted one.
Didn't you watch the video?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Didn't you watch the video?
Ha, Ha! I've said before my computer doesn't "do" videos well, plus I really don't like to waste my time on them. I'd rather read. I read both links.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
To put it charitably, you midunderstood what I said. Someone asked why anyone should get paid for not working. PTO is actually very common in the business world. Most companies have "floating" holidays, too, so some accomodation could have been made, if the owner had wanted to accomodate.
And here is where I have issue with your replies..

Why should the company be liable to pay people because OBAMA shut them down for the day? Again, Obama is entitled to his photo op but for you to keep blaming the company for something beyond their control is just ridiculous.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And here is where I have issue with your replies..

Why should the company be liable to pay people because OBAMA shut them down for the day? Again, Obama is entitled to his photo op but for you to keep blaming the company for something beyond their control is just ridiculous.
All my replies, because of one post you disagreed with?

As I understand it, construction work is piece work, you get paid for what you do and not otherwise. So OK, if the worksite had to be closed down, they didn't get paid. But they will also get paid until the project is complete, so that pay loss will be made up at a later date. This is no different than when work is cancelled b/c of bad weather, or any other reason.

If on the other hand, the company does pay benefits and give PTO, they could have used this day as a "floating holiday" or some such appellation. Such accomodations are not uncommon in the workplace. My DH's company shut down for a week at Christmas, and if you wanted to be paid, you had to use your vacation, even if you didn't want to take a vacation then.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Ha, Ha! I've said before my computer doesn't "do" videos well, plus I really don't like to waste my time on them. I'd rather read. I read both links.
Oh, that's too bad...cause the video has interviews from the construction workers, who are rightly upset.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Oh, that's too bad...cause the video has interviews from the construction workers, who are rightly upset.
So did the article from FOX, which I read. One person said he was glad for the three day weekend. There were probably a lot of others who felt that way, too.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
As I understand it, construction work is piece work, you get paid for what you do and not otherwise. So OK, if the worksite had to be closed down, they didn't get paid. But they will also get paid until the project is complete, so that pay loss will be made up at a later date. This is no different than when work is cancelled b/c of bad weather, or any other reason.

If on the other hand, the company does pay benefits and give PTO, they could have used this day as a "floating holiday" or some such appellation. Such accomodations are not uncommon in the workplace. My DH's company shut down for a week at Christmas, and if you wanted to be paid, you had to use your vacation, even if you didn't want to take a vacation then.
As you understand it? Where did you get this idea and what difference does it make to those that have LOST a days pay because obama needed the street to feed his massive ego, with no thought at all to the people working on the building?

One of the workers on the video even mentioned he was short a days pay and it would hurt.

Your spin on this is completely ridiculous - if not for obama coming to visit for 10 minutes, these guys would be working and wouldn't have lost a days pay.

There really is NO getting around the facts, even though you do your best to try.

How low can the left go to make excuses for this egomaniac?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
So did the article from FOX, which I read. One person said he was glad for the three day weekend. There were probably a lot of others who felt that way, too.
According to the video, no there weren't, but that is again sheer speculation on your part, which is needed to try and bolster the lame argument.

Typical that you take away from the article the guy that wants a 3 days vacation but somehow miss this one.

Quote:
"The bosses told us we weren't working because the president is coming, and we are wondering why," construction worker George Harrison told WBNS-10TV. "That's $200 we are missing out on. Everybody needs to eat, right?"
This really IS the point.

Really too bad you can't watch the video, cause the workers are very upset - money is tight, kids to feed, short a day of pay, one just coming back from a long stretch of unemployment.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
All my replies, because of one post you disagreed with?
because everyone of your posting here blame the companies for not paying for no work being completed..
Quote:
Not true.. Companies are under a deadline by contract. A begin and end date, often times they are given a surplus if they complete the project early, and fined if it takes longer.. The season is computed into the bidding process to allow companies to properly judge how long it will take.

The companies will not receive a surplus because it takes a day longer to complete, they receive a surplus for a day LESS.. So by you asking the company to pay them regardless, you actually are asking that they pay twice.. Once to the employees, and onces in fees/fines for being 1 day beyond their projected completion date..
Quote:
There isnt a way of knowing if the company offers such days, so to assume they do is just an assumption.. I'm not going to make an argument based upon assumption..

Old 06-20-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
How low can the left go to make excuses for this egomaniac?
The left would have been well within their right to simply say

"Obama is entitlted to a photo op", and yes, often times this does inconvenience the public, cost people days pay, etc..

But thats not what they did.. They've made non stop excuse blaming the companies involved..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies