Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:57 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
"UNCF—the United Negro College Fund—today announced that the nation’s largest minority scholarship program, the Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS), has awarded good-through-graduation college scholarships "

I would find it somewhat ridiculous if this fund [adminstered thru the United NEGRO college fund] were availble to NON-NEGROS. [Am I allowed to say NEGRO now?]

This is ALSO not the only scholarship funded by the Gates Foundation.

I think the furor over this is nothing more then race baiting by racist organizations.

OH B.T.W. I am a WHITE CONSERVATIVE REPULICAN
No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
The scholarships are to provide kids with money so they can go to college. Isn't that a good thing? There are a lot of people who complain about non white children having kids out of wedlock, dropping out of school, committing crimes. I would think that this is a good thing for some ambitious non-white kids to take advantage of. Instead there's people around here complaining that he's discriminating. Well, it's his money, he can do what he likes with it. When you make your billions then set up your scholarship fund however you like. With that said, I don't want to see any threads around here complaining about "young minorities and crime".

Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 PM

720 posts, read 691,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
Personally there are too many scholarships to help the poor, what about the Middle CLASS??? We get screwed.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The scholarships are to provide kids with money so they can go to college. Isn't that a good thing? There are a lot of people who complain about non white children having kids out of wedlock, dropping out of school, committing crimes. I would think that this is a good thing for some ambitious non-white kids to take advantage of. Instead there's people around here complaining that he's discriminating. Well, it's his money, he can do what he likes with it. When you make your billions then set up your scholarship fund however you like. With that said, I don't want to see any threads around here complaining about "young minorities and crime".

Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
AGREED!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL, sorry to hear that but it's plain as day below the first paragraph.
The GMS Scholarship is awarded under the auspices of which organization?

The Gates Foundation has several scholarship programs. Some are focused on minorities. Others are not.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The GMS Scholarship is awarded under the auspices of which organization?

The Gates Foundation has several scholarship programs. Some are focused on minorities. Others are not.
No matter what anyone says the wording of that one scholarship is just as racist as all hell. Saying that they are for minorities would be fine, IMO, but listing the only minorities that can get them is getting racist. More intelligent wording could have and should have been used.

I don't see Gates as a racist at all but the wording of that one is racist as all hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies