Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should only net payers into the system be allowed to vote?
Yes 29 35.37%
No 49 59.76%
Other 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times

Advertisements

Maybe the question should be whether 18 year olds should vote.
The system the op is proposing would lead to a facist state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 08:41 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I personally think your should have a financial stake in this country to be able to have the privilege of voting. Some exceptions such as elderly who have been net payers into the system their whole lives. Otherwise it gives incentive for politicians to buy votes from the welfare class. I don't think the welfare class should be allowed to vote for politicians who will give stuff to them from the people it is taken from. It's a screwed up system.

I'm open to arguments otherwise.

Not a chance. At the rate hussein obama is going, only union thugs would have jobs. He could hold an election to make himself king. As it is we already see some of the insane left calling for him to act like a dictator.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:49 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
Quote:
I personally think your should have a financial stake in this country to be able to have the privilege of voting. Some exceptions such as elderly who have been net payers into the system their whole lives. Otherwise it gives incentive for politicians to buy votes from the welfare class. I don't think the welfare class should be allowed to vote for politicians who will give stuff to them from the people it is taken from. It's a screwed up system.

Denying those on welfare from voting would be a very controversial decision. Right now I would not support it because it goes completely against what our Declaration of Independence says that "all men are created equal" where men = all Americans and legal immigrants and legal residents. So one person = one vote. I think that is fair.

If 25 years from now, when California is 99% illegal aliens and their anchors. They will probably begin talking about seceding and joining Mexico. It will be difficult not to support your proposal then.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
When you become unemployed right before an election you might change your tune.

What you propose is certainly far from a democracy where all voices are heard. silencing voices is good ....until it is yours that is silenced.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:46 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
No way - but if we are throwing out silly unconstitutional proposals then I would suggest a seniority system based on how long you've been an American. If you are 18 then your vote counts for 18 points, if you are 65 then your vote counts for 65 points. If you are a new citizen then you start at 5 points. Bonus points for military service and for voting. This assumes of course (city-data posters notwithstanding) that people gain wisdom with age.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:58 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
If you can't name every state in the Union within a two minute timeframe, you can't vote.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:26 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What do you think tax cuts are?

I wonder what you imagine "the welfare class" to be
We know what he imagines it to be. Will he say it? NO

Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:

You do know that very few people on welfare vote right. What voting block are you trying to get rid of. 40% want to take away voting rights because Obama won. LMAO.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
You do know that very few people on welfare vote right. What voting block are you trying to get rid of. 40% want to take away voting rights because Obama won. LMAO.
I think this last election proved that theory incorect.
People from all stations in life, got out to vote for the black man without a clue of his agenda.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
...what our Declaration of Independence says that "all men are created equal" where men = all Americans and legal immigrants and legal residents. So one person = one vote. I think that is fair.
If "all men are created equal," we should be requiring everyone to pay the same percentage income tax. Want to vote in federal and state elections? Pay your fair share = equal percentage of federal and state income tax. Not everyone pays now; nearly half of all American households pay no federal income tax whatsoever. Some even get money FROM the government.
Nearly half of US households escape fed income tax - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nearly-half-of-US-households-apf-1105567323.html?x=0&.v=1 - broken link)

Of course, voting for president and other federal gov offices without having to pay any federal income tax provides a mighty strong incentive for nearly half of Americans to vote themselves ever increasing amounts of freebies and entitlements by electing politicians who promise exactly that. If you ever wonder why our national debt is so high, giving freebies and entitlements to those who don't pay into the system is one of the major causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies