Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:54 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is VERY possible

Those of us who do it on a daily basis know
What exactly do you do to support them? One soldier said what gets to him most is that his family says how proud they are of him having served his country etc., when he himself feels like a monster because of the things he did, and can't tell them about that because he doesn't want to destroy his family's opinion of him.

What many of them seem to need most is civilian psychological care. One of the soldiers interviewed explained how that works. When they are about to be sent back home, they are asked by the military if they have any problems. If they say yes, they have to stay there, which nobody wants. So most simply say no.
Apart from that military psychologists try to turn war-related problems into personality disorders, in which case the military can no longer be held responsible and liable.

PS: Found the English title of the film, it was called The Ground Truth. It is also on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4bb_Ro-hrg

Last edited by Neuling; 06-19-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 12:59 PM

615 posts, read 545,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Soldiers fight to defend their nation, not to defend the government.

What you are saying is that some secretary over in the UK working for BP is responsible for the gulf disaster, or at least shares in the responsibility?

I'm a vocal opponent to our wars in the Middle East, probably one of the biggest on this forum, but I am not so naive to think that there aren't times in which military engagement is necessary. I've heard the small minority of people who make your argument and if planet earth was a non-violent Utopia where everyone got along making love not war, then you would be right. Truth is, there are nasty things that go bump in the night and there are people who wish us harm and I for one am grateful that there are soldiers who will risk their lives to defend against this.
I'm by no means a pacifist. I just can't support a soldier fighting in an unjustified war. I know they don't make the decision to go to war, but they are doing the actual killing and destroying. It's not like the Vietname war when soldiers were conscripted, we have a professional military.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:06 PM

615 posts, read 545,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
You believe that their intention is to kill innocent people? Casualties to innocents happen sometimes. It is not common practice. If they are ordered to disarm, and refuse, soldiers will protect themselves. No different than law enforcement that is threatened by someone with a weapon. Whether they comitted a crime or not, if they point a weapon at an officer, the officer will fire at center mass.

That's funny! Homophobe is in my 2004 edition of Merriam-Webster. Would you like to rewrite the english language to fit your agenda. I bet you do not believe that people are born transgendered either. Don't worry, my mother doesn't either. She is a fire and brimstone Christian as well.
I don't think the majority intend to kill innocent people, but some do. The fact is they do kill innocent people and destroy their property. I think we will be judged for our actions one day, and exscuses will not be heard.

Homophobe is a stupid word, I'm not afraid of homosexuals, I think homosexuality is wrong, and not something that should be promoted in the media as normal. Our creator in his books has repeatedly said homosexuality is wrong, and for the believers we take his message serious. There are people born transgender, and there are ways to deal with the situation, it is not the same as homosexuality though.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I can't say that I agree with the war in Iraq and Afghanistan but I get emotional when I see people in uniform, I have the uttermost respect for those who have decided to put their asses on the line for all of us, I still don't understand how some of these Liberals can be "anti-military".

YouTube - "Free" (Official Music Video)
I support the people in the military as people doing a dangerous and risky job. But I don't support why they are over there.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM

10 posts, read 7,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is VERY possible

Those of us who do it on a daily basis know
What, picking your nose?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:51 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What exactly do you do to support them? One soldier said what gets to him most is that his family says how proud they are of him having served his country etc., when he himself feels like a monster because of the things he did, and can't tell them about that because he doesn't want to destroy his family's opinion of him.

What many of them seem to need most is civilian psychological care. One of the soldiers interviewed explained how that works. When they are about to be sent back home, they are asked by the military if they have any problems. If they say yes, they have to stay there, which nobody wants. So most simply say no.
Apart from that military psychologists try to turn war-related problems into personality disorders, in which case the military can no longer be held responsible and liable.

PS: Found the English title of the film, it was called The Ground Truth. It is also on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4bb_Ro-hrg

Excellent point, and a very interesting link.

It certainly exemplifies the disconnect between American's perceptions from here and the soldiers perspective from there.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:33 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Glad to see we have someone that appreciates their freedom in our midst. Are you a Jehovah's Witness, or what? You just be thankful there are young men and women who put their lives on the line everyday for your ungrateful behind. I'm sure they are glad to know they have your support.
The military has never provided freedom. That's just the brainwashing talking. I don't have to thank anyone for something they only think they provided. Any illusion of a lack of freedom is yours, not mine. Get out of the mindset that enslaves you to violence...and insults. Don't ever insult me again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Military serves no purpose, ok, so I guess if some Muslims terrorists attacked our country, we should either A) Surrender or B) Try to be friends with them and see if we can understand why they kill innocent people in the name of God, the wonderful Liberal world full of diversity and where people resolve their differences by engaging in "meaningful dialogue". Like Obama said once, we should be able to separate the good Taliban from the bad Taliban haha. Can't you see how stupid this sounds?
Fear rules your world. All these frightening possibilities that justify the continued aggressive stance toward the rest of the world. It's exactly the same thing on the other side! Both sides believe in the destruction by the other. If you exit that snake-biting-its-tail scenario, you'd be in a better situation to see how foolish it is to participate in it. Participation is a choice. If the government saw that we weren't afraid or that we didn't want to believe in the boogeymen they help invent for the media, there would be no need for the waste of resources (let alone tax dollars) that the military demands. Why do people fear the idea that they don't need to fear anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX-ALBO View Post
Anti any military ?

I take a non-interventionist view where military should only be used in self-defence. What if you knew a nuke was gonna be dropped on you, would you want everone to lay down and just take it ? Maybe you dont mind dying, but im pretty sure others would. Kinda selfish, wouldnt ya say.
Yes, any military. The threats of the world exist because people believe them into existence. I know most think that line of reasoning is too esoteric or New Age, but it is in fact the way the world works. One cannot expend energy to oppose something without simultaneously creating what is opposed. A military exists to defend a nation (or it's made to look like that's why it exists). But by choosing to defend, the nation instantaneously creates something that opposes it. It's that simple.

You want peace? You have to create it. A stockpile of weapons means you have no faith in your ability to create peace.

We can argue all the scenarios, nuclear bombs, terrorist attacks, invading hordes, but none of the energy spent conjuring up those scenarios and none of the energy spent trying to prepare for them will do anything to avert them. Change the channel. Think (and therefore create) something different.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
What exactly does "support our troops" mean?

My bank has a campaign to encourage people to support our troops with Care packages. You know, candy, and toilet paper, and stuff.

I lived for two years in Jordan, a very similar country right next to Iraq. I got no Care packages. I got paper letters with stamps on them. There was no internet. I never got or made a single phone call to anyone in America, it would have cost a dollar a minute. I ate what Jordanians ate, I lived the way Jordanians live. I had few compatriots working in my organization to talk about home with.

Nobody "supported" me the way the bank wants me to support our troops. I was there for two years. You know what? I didn't just endure it. I loved it. I had a chance to connect with a wonderful and interesting culture and learn to live a comfortable and simple lifestyle. I brought back memories and wisdom that did not come in a brown box from America.

Why can't our troops learn to like it there, without Snickers bars? There is something to be gained there that they can treasure for the rest of their lives. Support our troops by telling them that, by offering them that gift, which is there in front of them for the taking.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-19-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 05:59 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I support the troops the same way I would have supported Jones's followers in Guyana. Bring them home and deprogram them.

They have been trained to kill human beings on command and to never question the authority of the command.

When they come back, skilled in the art of killing and still brainwashed, and they are commanded to open fire on Americans, I will not support them then either
You watch too much TV.

Yes, you are trained to kill human beings. But I don't know where the idea that soldiers are taught not to question the higher ups.

You are NOT bound to follow an unlawful order given. So much so that if the person in command gets in trouble for it, the soldier who carried it out might taste some of it too.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Support the troops, bring them home.
That's cruel and unusual - they'd be bored to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies