Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who deserves more blame for the BP oil spill?
BP CEO Tony Hayward 50 76.92%
President Barack Obama 10 15.38%
Not sure 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,294,338 times

Advertisements

Well lets see,

Mr. Hayward has been CEO since 2007. Barrack Obama has been President since January of 2009.

The Deepwater Horizon oil platform was built, and put in place in 2001/2002.

Who was President during 2001/2002, when all of the safety regulations were worked around, ignoring better ways of blow back valves, that lead to the problem 60 days ago?

Come on folks, lets use a little logic.

BP has a history of failing safety exams, and thats long been done before 2007. I'd blame Mr. Hayward for not fixing the bad practices that BP had been doing. I'd blame President Obama for not fixing the way that we weren't regulating properly.

However, neither of them were in charge when this problem started. So its kind of like blaming your wife for a dirty house, that you just bought yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,097,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
BP is responsible for the spill. The president is responsible for the United States and coordinating the cleanup. How long did it take for him to speak to the BP CEO? GWB would've had the guy on the phone in less than 24 hours ripping him a new one.

I know you libs like this guy, but he has no managerial experience, he surrounds himself with people with no managerial experience, and he is terrible in a crises. Reagan, Clinton and both Bushes had White House Chief's of Staff who had real world, practical experience and knew how to run things. Obama has Rahm Emanuel.

Look at the healthcare bill. After Scott Brown was elected, Obama was ready to throw his hands up and walk away. It was Pelosi's fierce persistence that pushed the healthcare bill through, not Obama.

This president is way out of his depth. Obama belongs firmly on the list of those responsible for this mess, and only his most ardent apologists could possibly think otherwise.
Yo the first person Busho would have had on the phone was Haliburton SO THEY COULD CUT DEALS FOR HALIBURTON TO MAKE BILLIONS OFF OF IT.......LOL

Old 06-20-2010, 01:34 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,761,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well lets see,

Mr. Hayward has been CEO since 2007. Barrack Obama has been President since January of 2009.

Who was President during 2001/2002, when all of the safety regulations were worked around, ignoring better ways of blow back valves, that lead to the problem 60 days ago?

Well put. I think this topic should be changed to "Who deserves to be blamed, Tony Hayward or George W. Bush?"

Old 06-20-2010, 03:05 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,773,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well lets see,

BP has a history of failing safety exams, and thats long been done before 2007. I'd blame Mr. Hayward for not fixing the bad practices that BP had been doing. I'd blame President Obama for not fixing the way that we weren't regulating properly.

However, neither of them were in charge when this problem started. So its kind of like blaming your wife for a dirty house, that you just bought yesterday.

Makes sense. good post.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,137,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Tony Hayward is the CEO of BP, but judging by some of the comments I've heard, my impression is that there are some Americans who blame President Obama more than they blame Tony Hayward.
You provided less than enough choices so since I blame Obama for the lack of cleanup work much more than BP I had to go that way. Sure, Hayward is more to blame for the beginning but Obama has held back the cleanup in many ways that all know about.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
If you claim Obama is, please list WHY. I'd love to see the logic behind that one.
I voted Obama and explained to the OP why. I do not blame Hayward for the lack of cleanup and what it is doing to the region. I blame Obama for that because his number 1 advisor said you can't let a good crisis go to waste and making it worse is working out quite well for them.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:45 PM

18,322 posts, read 18,909,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I voted Obama and explained to the OP why. I do not blame Hayward for the lack of cleanup and what it is doing to the region. I blame Obama for that because his number 1 advisor said you can't let a good crisis go to waste and making it worse is working out quite well for them.

so tony could not have called out his employees to the sites to clean up. had his people on the ground and in the water cleaning up? his people should be there now. cleaning up, there on the ground now behind a claims desk where victims can go to make claims. be paying these people on time. BP could do a lot more.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Nobody will touch this one. Sure they whine about Obama, but to actually put a line in the sand saying he is the one most responsible would be a reflection on their own intellectual prowess or lack thereof.

Most of them at some level get this.
I understand what you are saying and I put that line in the sand because Obama with his "I am the law" attitude could have done something about the cleanup much sooner but he sat back and watched the oil creep up on the surrounding area. I hear Rahm telling him to let the crisis get worse so it can be used in the election. Refute this.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
OP, this is a stupid poll. Everyone knows Obama is the President of the U.S.A., and not some fly by night oil company. jeez man.
Did it ever occur to you that the Americans who blame the prez are using this forum? and the people you call Americans are the far right wing goofies? Looking for any flaw in this administration, and willing to place blame for anything bad that happens upon it.

If anyone watches the news, they know who or what company screwed up big time. MMS has been a screwed up Government agency for years and years, this just didn't start happening when Obama was elected.

Oil companies are experts at lying and deceiving, we've learned that now.
But Barack "I am the law" said he was going to clean up things like MMS and he didn't get it done in nearly 18 months. Didn't he let all of us down in that respect? You people want more regulation but don't appoint regulators to enforce the regulation. I guess you don't know that the oil industry is one of the heaviest regulated ones, huh?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What's funny is that most of them won't vote in the poll or comment on this. If they can't blame something on Obama, they'd rather not participate at all. They're loath to blame anyone but Obama for anything bad that happens.
Which group am I in, AUM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies