Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:59 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Why would you let it lapse?
Well, if you're not practicing law, or plan on representing clients and going to court, there is not reason to keep a license active (YOU do know it costs money to do so).

Since he hadn't practiced law since his time as campaigning for Senator and then POTUS, that's already 4 years of time that he didn't need it.

It's like a person who gets a Drivers License and decides that he/she is only going to use Public transportation for the rest of his/her life. There is no need to renew if, if you have no use for it.

I let my First Aid, CPR and Life Guard certification lapse because I 1) wasn't using it 2) am no longer near any type of beach where it would be of use . So there is no need for me to renew them (and the Life Guard Certification requires a fee in order to keep it up and that you retake their test every 2 years)

Quote:
I know several lifelong lawyers who are now retired from official work but still keep their license.
SO what? I have several lawyer friends, who are retired and didn't keep their license; its an added expense they didn't need to worry about. So what your friends do are NOT what everyone else does.

Its not like he can't go and retake the exam or get the license again. HE just doesn't need it now.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Well, if you're not practicing law, or plan on representing clients and going to court, there is not reason to keep a license active (YOU do know it costs money to do so).
The cost is minimum compared to the cost to
Quote:
go and retake the exam or get the license again. HE just doesn't need it now.
Seriously, the cost is minimum, and while I agree Obama has the option to not renew his license if he doesnt wish to practice law anymore, to compare it to ..
Quote:
It's like a person who gets a Drivers License
I let my First Aid, CPR and Life Guard certification
is just plain silly..
Quote:
SO what? I have several lawyer friends, who are retired and didn't keep their license; its an added expense they didn't need to worry about.
Keyword bolded.. Obama isnt retired...

Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The cost is minimum compared to the cost to
Again so what? It may not be a concern to him.

What part of: "HE DOESN'T need to be licensed currently so there IS NO reason for him to renew it" do you NOT get?

it's his choice. HE didn't want to renew it. So its not any of your business as to why he chose not to renew it.

Quote:
Seriously, the cost is minimum, and while I agree Obama has the option to not renew his license if he doesnt wish to practice law anymore, to compare it to ..
]

So then WHY is it even an issue?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Keyword bolded.. Obama isnt retired...
He's not practicing law. He's "retired" from Law, and is currently the President of the United States. I think that qualifies as him being retired.

YOU brought up "my lawyer friends are retired" bit, I answered that I have retired lawyer friends who didn't renew their license.

Also, people come out of retirement to take up their old jobs too, that isn't uncommon

So after 2016, when he's done with his 2 year limit, he can either go back to being a LAWYEr or do something else entirely.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,824,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
A silly question but I can't seem to find the answer .
THIS IS NOT A SILLY QUESTION AND YOU KNOW IT! Shame on you.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Again so what? It may not be a concern to him.

What part of: "HE DOESN'T need to be licensed currently so there IS NO reason for him to renew it" do you NOT get?
Did I object to him not renewing his license?
Quote:
it's his choice. HE didn't want to renew it. So its not any of your business as to why he chose not to renew it.
Did I pretend it was my business to get involved in why he didnt choose to renew it?
Quote:
So then WHY is it even an issue?
The OP asked if he had a license.. I replied with the date and link proving that he had one.. Now you want to get all upset because I posted FACTS.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
He's not practicing law. He's "retired" from Law, and is currently the President of the United States. I think that qualifies as him being retired.
So now the president doesnt practice law? Wow.. I thought thats ALL they did..
Quote:
YOU brought up "my lawyer friends are retired" bit, I answered that I have retired lawyer friends who didn't renew their license.

Also, people come out of retirement to take up their old jobs too, that isn't uncommon
Actually you brought it up.. I wouldnt have known you had lawyer friends who were retired had YOU not stated so..
Quote:
So after 2016, when he's done with his 2 year limit, he can either go back to being a LAWYEr or do something else entirely.
Agreed.. so why are you bitching and moaning for someone who simply posted the FACTS that Obama had a law license and let it lapse.. Where the hell did I claim this wasnt his right? Your in that "defend Obama" mode where you are just attacking people for posting FACTS who made no attack against the President..

Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 PM

I'm not upset, someone asked why he let it lapse, I answered giving the most adequate reason why he would let it lapse, then you attack me about why he would let it lapse.

Like i stated, he has his own reasons why it lapsed, and its not for you, or I or anyone, to know his reasons for doing so.

so I ask, WHY is this an issue?

And to the OP< Why is it an issue ? There were many US Presidents who were not lawyers.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
No. People born in Kenya are not eligible to sit for the bar.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Where have you been looking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies