Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote
Yes 14 35.90%
No 25 64.10%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:53 PM

469 posts, read 579,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Maybe he does more with that tongue of his than shoot off at the mouth.
I think I'm going to be sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:53 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,428,220 times
I too, married a polar opposite. It's actually quite easy.

There is a mature respect for each other. We discuss all things political, social and fiscal almost daily. I have great respect for his point of view, as he does mine. We agree on many things, it's the "how to solve it" where we differ. Neither of us are idealists. We come to our opinions via life experience. We fully understand why the other thinks and feels the way they do.

Maturity and the ability to be cognizant of the fact that, while we hold strong opinions, we may not always be right, is all it takes. After 31 years I do believe we have it right.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post

There is a mature respect for each other. We discuss all things political, social and fiscal almost daily. I have great respect for his point of view, as he does mine. We agree on many things, it's the "how to solve it" where we differ. Neither of us are idealists. We come to our opinions via life experience. We fully understand why the other thinks and feels the way they do.

Maturity and the ability to be cognizant of the fact that, while we hold strong opinions, we may not always be right, is all it takes. After 31 years I do believe we have it right.
I don't know if that makes you polar opposites.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX-ALBO View Post
someone who has completely different political views ?

Id have to say a big fat NO !
I would not even date or socialize with a conservative Republican. Political views are too important to me. Not only that but studies show that opposites do NOT attract when it comes to marriage. The more things a couple has in common- ethnicity, age, race, politics, religion, likes and dislikes- the more likely the marriage will last.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
There are only two things that are necessary in a romantic relationship.

#1 You both must trust each other to protect each other from others and to never use your partner's weaknesses against them.
#2 You both must respect each other intellectually and philosophically.

Without both of these elements it's only a matter of time before anger and resentment fracture the relationship.

I don't think I could respect someone who had polar opposite opinions from my own.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Works for James Carville and his wife.
I don't know how Carville does it being married to an evil demon.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would not even date or socialize with a conservative Republican. Political views are too important to me. Not only that but studies show that opposites do NOT attract when it comes to marriage. The more things a couple has in common- ethnicity, age, race, politics, religion, likes and dislikes- the more likely the marriage will last.
Yeah, but you can't be too identical. Do you really want to roll over in bed and see you in the morning. You each have to bring something different to the table. I don't want to be married to me, but I'd go to prison for murder if I was married to Keith Olbermann. Or he would.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post

Which is probably why you are able to tolerate each other. The less important a certain thing is in life to you, the more you are able to get along with somebody who does not share it with you. For you, politics and idealism is not important and apparently to your spouse. For me, it is important. It is what defines the good and evil in people. On the other hand, religion is not important to me. I am not married to a Seventh Day Adventist and we do not go to church too often anyway.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:05 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,725 times
No.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:06 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I've heard Mary say several times how brilliant she thinks he is, and also that he's very considerate. This is why she can tolerate him.
I have a feeling James Carville could work for either side and argue just as successfully, depending upon who was paying him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies