Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote
Yes 14 35.90%
No 25 64.10%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 PM

469 posts, read 579,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Which is probably why you are able to tolerate each other. The less important a certain thing is in life to you, the more you are able to get along with somebody who does not share it with you. For you, politics and idealism is not important and apparently to your spouse. For me, it is important. It is what defines the good and evil in people. On the other hand, religion is not important to me. I am not married to a Seventh Day Adventist and we do not go to church too often anyway.
For me it doesn't define good and evil, it defines smart and stupid, which is just as important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
I would not even date or socialize with a conservative Republican. Political views are too important to me. Not only that but studies show that opposites do NOT attract when it comes to marriage. The more things a couple has in common- ethnicity, age, race, politics, religion, likes and dislikes- the more likely the marriage will last.
I think your view is very narrow minded. I can't imagine building a relationship on politics.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
She probably loves him for the man he is not his political views. I think it is the manner in which we live our day to day lives that defines our characters, not our politics.
Well, if we are specifically speaking of Jimmy Carville I don't know about the man and his character (or lack thereof) as he supported Clinton wholeheartedly in his attempt to deny his affair with Monica. And never waivered in his support for the man through all his lying under oath etc.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Works for James Carville and his wife.
and boy do I give them credit. They have been married about 15 years I am guessing, maybe a little longer. To top it off, he is such a pompus ass or appears to be.

For me, I just think it would be disaster. We are both Republicans, but I am more center than hubby. We rarely fight, but if we do it is usually political..

Nita

Old 06-20-2010, 06:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I would not even date or socialize with a conservative Republican. Political views are too important to me. Not only that but studies show that opposites do NOT attract when it comes to marriage. The more things a couple has in common- ethnicity, age, race, politics, religion, likes and dislikes- the more likely the marriage will last.
I find it pretty narrow minded to say you would socialize with someone at the other extreme. Not dating one is very different from having them as friends. Some of our best friends are at the opposite extreme and we discuss politics iin adult conversation, rarely agreeing but respecting each others views.

Nita

Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
Quote:
Which is probably why you are able to tolerate each other. The less important a certain thing is in life to you, the more you are able to get along with somebody who does not share it with you. For you, politics and idealism is not important and apparently to your spouse. For me, it is important. It is what defines the good and evil in people. On the other hand, religion is not important to me. I am not married to a Seventh Day Adventist and we do not go to church too often anyway.
You couldn't be more wrong about that.

When I speak of Idealist I am refering to the Idealist Temperament as defined by David Keirsey.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:50 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Personally I have a liberal detector on my door and if one tries to cross the threshold it shots bug spray so it would make it hard to pair up with the opposite

Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
I am so astounded by some of the answers on this thread. I am friends with many people who don't share my political views. They are still decent people and I respect their right to their own opinions.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX-ALBO View Post
someone who has completely different political views ?

Id have to say a big fat NO !

Are you serious? For most people, I don't think shared political beliefs are that big a deal. I married my wife for many reasons and political beliefs didn't factor into the equation at all. If she and I didn't have similar beliefs, I would have asked her to marry me just the same. Having said that, I guess it ultimately depends on how important politics are to you as a person and how that compares to characteristics that you love about that person.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I find it pretty narrow minded to say you would socialize with someone at the other extreme. Not dating one is very different from having them as friends. Some of our best friends are at the opposite extreme and we discuss politics iin adult conversation, rarely agreeing but respecting each others views.

Nita
I agree. Certainly there are things besides politics that attract people; I would hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies