Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:15 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Bush was a liberal spender of taxpayer money, IMHO. I'm not being partisan here.

I have not even mentioned either political party, democrats or republicans, and yet you call me "partisan" and claim I am "pretending that all is gravy on the Right".

I'm going to go walk the dog.

Quote:
The libs are busy searchng for the Booosh angle.

Quote:
You already provided the defense I expected, finger pointing at the GOP or conservatives.

My example was the california state employees union pensions fund that is $500 billion in the red.
Quote:
I think the democratic party plank #1 is to keep increasing spending, and raises taxes, and there are very, very few conservative democrats any more.
Quote:
I still have no clue what your position is on the topic of liberals in government bleeding us dry of money, with state employee benefits. You dance around the topic, and point to a veiled hypocrisy, because people were not seen as going after teacher's unions and administrators at the same time.

Nope...I guess I was wrong then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
So let me understand your disagreement with MY OPINION. I agree with the OP that the Adminstrators Benefits needed to be put in check considering the states were going after the teachers. You didn't like that opinion because I dared bring up the correlation and hypocricy of NJ into this thread. Now your issue is the fact that I bought Teachers into the mix, never mind you have another poster blaming the union and the teachers and their lock hold on taxpayers for the adminstrators high price salaries and benefits?

Hmmm. Again, I haven't recieved the script on the liberal response your looking for so you can go full out on your liberal bashing.
Please show me where exactly I disagreed with your opinion. I'm trying to narrow down what exactly you're for/against. You started out asking why we would expect any liberal to defend the pensions. When I mentioned that unions are wholly supported by the democratic party, you divert away to teacher salaries, NJ, and what Chris Christie is or isn't doing in your state which was never a part of the discussion in this thread or in the article posted in the OP. I even added this quote (from the article) to clarify the link between the liberals' love for unions and the detrimental effect it's having:

Quote:
Then they (democrats) are going to have to make a choice – side with the big public sector unions and sacrifice the poor and disadvantaged, or take a new approach to the public sector altogether and stop paying out these ridiculous benefits and retirement packages to people who probably don’t deserve them.[LEFT]
Read more at the Washington Examiner: Top Illinois public school administrators split nearly $1 billion in pensions | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/Examiner-Opinion-Zone/e-d-kain-Top-Illinois-public-school-administrators-split-nearly-1-billion-in-pensions-96723204.html#ixzz0rVAfBolX - broken link)
[/LEFT]

Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Has anybody pointed out that Illinois retirement is self funded by employee contributions? They are not paid out of tax dollars, but by paycheck deductions from those employee's salaries?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Has anybody pointed out that Illinois retirement is self funded by employee contributions? They are not paid out of tax dollars, but by paycheck deductions from those employee's salaries?
Then, the teachers must have voted for it - a$$kissers, all.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:44 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Wow. No. What would make you think that? Illinois retirement is only partially funded by employee contributions, with the state taxpayers picking up the rest of the tab.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Then why are the taxpayers on the hook. Duh. The taxpayers of Illinois have an unfunded pension liability exceeding $61 Billion.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Your state's per capita deficit is larger than Michigan's.

ETA: Looking at the map in the following link, it looks like NC isn't doing very well. So much for that Dem leadership.

Interesting link:
Per Capita State Budget Deficit Map

Even so, you've listed just one state. I linked a university website that has the stats on how 17 of the 20 highest budget deficit states are run by Democrat-controlled legislatures:
Democratic-Controlled Legislatures Overseeing 17 of the 20 Highest State Budget Deficits Nationwide
Not going to read your first link as I tried opening it and it took down my internet.

Michigan does not really have budget problems on a governmental level in the relative to other places. There manufacturing sector is dying which is why they have all the employment and economic problems.

All I am saying is you are wrong that electing democrats is financial suicide.

On top of that many of the states you mentioned are net contributors to the Federal government...If you went to a system where the federal government gave back dollar for dollar spending of federal revenues Connecticut would be flush with cash and North Dakota would go broke. Most of the states with balance budgets receive close to $1.50 from the feds for every $1 dollar they send to the feds, such as Montana.

United States Federal Tax Dollars |

In other words its easy to balance your budget if you are a red state living off the federal teat...Because even California could balance its budget with the extra $.22 on dollar of the 100billion+ it pays in federal taxes each year.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-21-2010 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Please show me where exactly I disagreed with your opinion. I'm trying to narrow down what exactly you're for/against. You started out asking why we would expect any liberal to defend the pensions. When I mentioned that unions are wholly supported by the democratic party, you divert away to teacher salaries, NJ, and what Chris Christie is or isn't doing in your state which was never a part of the discussion in this thread or in the article posted in the OP. I even added this quote (from the article) to clarify the link between the liberals' love for unions and the detrimental effect it's having:

Can you provide me with the liberal script so that I know exactly what has been approved by you.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Then why are the taxpayers on the hook. Duh. The taxpayers of Illinois have an unfunded pension liability exceeding $61 Billion.
That should be GOOD news. According to HistorianDude , that's $61 Billion Illinois taxpayers won't have to pay. Yippee!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Can you provide me with the liberal script so that I know exactly what has been approved by you.
More deflection, diversion, spin, twist, and dance... Again, Please show me where exactly I disagreed with your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies