Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That should be GOOD news. According to HistorianDude , that's $61 Billion Illinois taxpayers won't have to pay. Yippee!!!
Perhaps I should alert the state lawmakers that we don't really owe that money because HistorianDude says so!?! Won't that be music to their ears?!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
More deflection, diversion, spin, twist, and dance... Again, Please show me where exactly I disagreed with your opinion.

Please show me where I stated you disagreed with my opinion. What I stated and I will say again. You have a problem with my opinion because it obviously does not fit your liberal script. I've agreed numerous times, but because I agreed and stated the hypocricy that is occuring in my state, you and the other poster are still trying to rev up to the typical rants.
Sorry, your going to have to stick to having a problem with my agreeing with the OP on going after the Administrators.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Wow. No. What would make you think that? Illinois retirement is only partially funded by employee contributions, with the state taxpayers picking up the rest of the tab.
I think that because I am anal about my wife's teacher's retirement from Illinois. I know exactly how much she has paid in, exactly how much her contributions are currently worth, and exactly how much her benefit will accrue to given actuarial reality.

Even beaten up by the economy, my 401K will pay out far more generously than her Illinois retirement.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Michigan does not really have budget problems on a governmental level in the relative to other places. There manufacturing sector is dying which is why they have all the employment and economic problems.
Yet, they're still in better financial shape than NC. Hmmm...

Quote:
On top of that many of the states you mentioned are net contributors to the Federal government...If you went to a system where the federal government gave back dollar for dollar spending of federal revenues Connecticut would be flush with cash and North Dakota would go broke. Most of the states with balance budgets receive close to $2 from the feds for every $1 dollar they send to the feds, such as Montana.

United States Federal Tax Dollars |

In other words its easy to balance your budget if you are a red state living off the federal teat.
Has that been adjusted for the reasons why states receive a disproportionate amount of federal revenue or why income and therefore federal income tax revenue collected is unusually high in certain states? For example, Virginia - a large number of federal government agencies. Alaska - oil industry. And Hawaii - large naval presence.

Or did you just link a fluff piece?

Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Please show me where I stated you disagreed with my opinion. What I stated and I will say again. You have a problem with my opinion because it obviously does not fit your liberal script. I've agreed numerous times, but because I agreed and stated the hypocricy that is occuring in my state, you and the other poster are still trying to rev up to the typical rants.
Sorry, your going to have to stick to having a problem with my agreeing with the OP on going after the Administrators.
You can't even recall what you said? No wonder you're all over the map in your replies.

Allow me to refresh your memory Right HERE in post #58:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
So let me understand your disagreement with MY OPINION. <snip>

Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Yet, they're still in better financial shape than NC. Hmmm...

Has that been adjusted for the reasons why states receive a disproportionate amount of federal revenue or why income and therefore federal income tax revenue collected is unusually high in certain states? For example, Virginia - a large number of federal government agencies. Alaska - oil industry. And Hawaii - large naval presence.

Or did you just link a fluff piece?
As I said the government of Michigan does not have the budgeting problems high growth states like NC and AZ accquired during the slow down.

...So in your opinion because of the special needs of Red states they are entitled to welfare from blue states? That sounds a lot like redistributing the wealth to me. Only its the Republicans getting money from democrats so its OK.

As for the Alaskan oil industry Alaska gives their citizens a stipend from oil revenues. They shouldn't need other states to pay them so Alaska Republican politicians can buy votes.

Making that kind of argument about state budgets is like saying..."I have sec. 8 for my housing, food stamps for food, Medicare for health coverage and SSDI for other costs so my budget is balanced...everyone else who can't balance a budget like me is just not good with money."

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-21-2010 at 12:16 PM..

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I think that because I am anal about my wife's teacher's retirement from Illinois. I know exactly how much she has paid in, exactly how much her contributions are currently worth, and exactly how much her benefit will accrue to given actuarial reality.

Even beaten up by the economy, my 401K will pay out far more generously than her Illinois retirement.
Her benefit is based on the average of her highest salaries, not on the accrued value of what she's contributed.

Quote:
Then why are the taxpayers on the hook.
Because of the current economic downturn that has devalued the investment funds. Did you you not notice we've just had a recession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay
Duh. The taxpayers of Illinois have an unfunded pension liability exceeding $61 Billion.
The economy falls, the economy grows. That "unfunded liability" is an accounting forecast, hardly a Damoclean sword.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
You can't even recall what you said? No wonder you're all over the map in your replies.

Allow me to refresh your memory Right HERE in post #58:

Oh your half right...I'm getting you and the other poster mixed up considering your both trying the same flim flam.

I guess you don't need me to repeat myself again about agreeing with the OP then.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Her benefit is based on the average of her highest salaries, not on the accrued value of what she's contributed.
I know exactly how her payout is calculated. I also know that based on the best actuarial tables, she had also fully funded her pension as of July 2008. (We moved from Illinois in 2004).

This is not currently true because of the downturn. But that's okay because she wasn't going to retire anytime soon anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies