Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,317,759 times

Advertisements

+1 to Drover

a quick wikipedia search shows me that, in 2008, the murder/mansluaghter rates (for every 100K people) were as followed:

New Orleans: 63.6
Baltimore: 36.9
Detroit: 33.9
D.C.: 31.4
Kansas City: 25.5
Philly: 23.0
Memphis: 20.5
Atlanta: 19.7
Chicago: 18.0
Mobile: 16.7

the aggravated assault rates aren't that much different, showing other, smaller cities w/ higher rates than Chicago

*searching for all the threads crying about the high crime rates in NOLA, Baltimore, Detroit, D.C., K.C., Philly, Memphis, Atlanta, and a bunch of other cities I didn't list. and the thread crying about why Mobile, which is microscopic compared to Chicago, as a murder rate close to that of Chicago*

**funny, couldn't really find any**

I realize the stats are from '08, but I doubt Chicago shot up to the top (or even near the top) of this list w/in the past 18 months. the stats aren't great for Chicago, esp. when compared to the larger cities of L.A and NYC, but it's far from the highest. going by the stats alone, I'd be FAR more scared to live in NOLA, Detroit, or Philly than Chicago. and forget Mobile, Ala!

sad so many people have been taken in that the sensationalism that is the news. of course, if a large number of people get shot in the course of a short time, they'll make the city look like an active war zone, even if there are deadlier places out there (but maybe the bodies pile up slower over the course of a year in Philly and Mobile so isn't as sensational). this is less about me sticking up for Chicago, just me being annoyed by news media headlines that's fast looking like something that used to appear solely on the covers of supermarket tabloids

/rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,647,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post

Oh my god. Seriously?

The media's manipulation really DOES work on some people.

Chicago's crime, as well as nationwide crime, continues to spiral downward compared to previous decades.

Come visit here and don't judge a place by a stupid media story.
You must live on the north side if you believe what you just wrote.
Take a trip to the south side.
Look up the 20 most dangerous neighborhoods in the nation. I think Chicago made it in there 4 or 5 times.
Have you ever had a bullet whiz by your head?
I have, in Pilsen.

http://chicagoist.com/2009/06/23/fou...mong_natio.php

Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,682,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
52 people killed? Where the hell do people get this stupid crap?
I made a mistake. Grow up.

Not sure how 52 people being shot is really any better. Just shows bad aim.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I made a mistake. Grow up.

Not sure how 52 people being shot is really any better. Just shows bad aim.
Yeah, just a little mistake -- that happens to overstate the magnitude of the situation by a mere nine-fold. If you're too lazy to fundamentally understand the data presented, don't whine about it when you're called out on it. The fact that you even found it plausible that 52 people were killed in one weekend goes to show how susceptible you are to allowing hysterical media coverage to shape your perspective for you.

If there were one homicide and 5 shootings in Pittsburgh over the weekend, would it have made national news? Would anyone care? Would there be thread after thread in City-Data about how the city is becoming a war zone and it's safer to be in Afghanistan? No, there wouldn't -- even though it would be a comparable scale of what happened in Chicago on a per-capita basis. But big scary numbers and shouty headlines capture the attention of people too lazy or stupid to put those numbers into perspective. Including most in this thread.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, just a little mistake -- that happens to overstate the magnitude of the situation by a mere nine-fold. If you're too lazy to fundamentally understand the data presented, don't whine about it when you're called out on it. The fact that you even found it plausible that 52 people were killed in one weekend goes to show how susceptible you are to allowing hysterical media coverage to shape your perspective for you.

If there were one homicide and 5 shootings in Pittsburgh over the weekend, would it have made national news? Would anyone care? Would there be thread after thread in City-Data about how the city is becoming a war zone and it's safer to be in Afghanistan? No, there wouldn't -- even though it would be the exact scale of what happened in Chicago on a per-capita basis. But big scary numbers and shouty headlines capture the attention of people too lazy or stupid to put those numbers into perspective. Including most in this thread.
Your immaturity is beyond astounding. I was well aware 8 people were killed - I just mis-typed a very short post. Grow the f up and let it go, kid.

If you were laid up in a hosptial with a bullet in your back but still alive and crippled for life, I'm sure you would not be parcing data about the statistical propabilities of being "killed" or merely "shot"

Why you defend this barbaric behavior is beyond me. It's great that people are outraged at it, no matter what city it's happening in. Sorry your precious Chicago needs to take the fall, but if it wakes people up to stop cold blooded murder or attempted murder, then all the better.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 PM

137 posts, read 169,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You just did a pretty good imitation of a paranoid liberal with a keyboard full of talking points.
Credibility-0

You cannot make this stuff up lol.
Wow, talk about taking things out of context, I continued to say:

Don't get me wrong, I support the 2nd amendment and believe in people's rights to own firearms, I just don't see how my pulling out a gun when being robbed is going to do anything but lead to me getting shot.

I do not support Obama, never once voted Democrat and I am a Libertarian who is registered as a Republican. I'm not a Liberal man, I'm a Libertarian with progressive views and a hatred for ignorance.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Your immaturity is beyond astounding. I was well aware 8 people were killed - I just mis-typed a very short post. Grow the f up and let it go, kid.

If you were laid up in a hosptial with a bullet in your back but still alive and crippled for life, I'm sure you would not be parcing data about the statistical propabilities of being "killed" or merely "shot"

Why you defend this barbaric behavior is beyond me. It's great that people are outraged at it, no matter what city it's happening in. Sorry your precious Chicago needs to take the fall, but if it wakes people up to stop cold blooded murder or attempted murder, then all the better.
I made no defense of anything. I offered perspective, which people like you are too lazy to ascertain on your own. Which I suppose is not surprising since you can't tell the difference between perspective and a defense. And outrage isn't very effective if it's selective, if people think what's going on here is any different from what's going on in cities all over the nation. But by pointing fingers at Chicago, people get to ignore what goes on in their own back yard.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I made no defense of anything. I offered perspective, which people like you are too lazy to ascertain on your own. Which I suppose is not surprising since you can't tell the difference between perspective and a defense.
Oh, I'm well aware of perspective. I was horrified at the few murders we had where I live as much as the 52 attempted murders in Chicago. Per capita is pretty irrelevant. Just look at the rash of Chicago murders last year of young kids.

A problem is a problem, and sometimes you just can't wash peoples' lives away with a broad statistic.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 PM

Actually junior, per capita is totally relevant because it's how you get a true measure of the magnitude of the problem. So no, you don't know nearly as much about perspective as you think.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Actually junior, per capita is totally relevant because it's how you get a true measure of the magnitude of the problem. So no, you don't know nearly as much about perspective as you think.
I believe your status says all that need be said about how you really feel. Some of us do, still, give a damn.

Chicago's got a problem. New York certainly doesn't have the murder rate you seem to think is so acceptable. You can ignore it to save face or be part of the solution. Or, you could just continue to bask in the solace of not giving a damn.

Your choice, buckaroo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies