Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You are serious? I guess you cut all of the references to "individual liberty" in there?
What about my "individual liberty" to walk down the street or enjoy a meal without breathing in cigarette smoke? Applies just as much to me as it does to you.

It's very simple really. Your habit is very harmful to other people, therefor it ceases to be about you and your liberty. That's why all over the country you smokers are having the hammer brought down on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:42 AM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
You are serious? I guess you cut all of the references to "individual liberty" in there? How about private property? Guess that one is just... well... not needed anymore?

You don't have a right to walk into a restaurant, but let me guess.. you think you do?

The problem here is you don't understand what the constitution is protecting and when you do attempt to use it, you use it to violate the very thing you claim it is protecting.
It is my right to go out in public withour fear of assault with a toxic substance.

When smokers figure out how to light up and inhale all of the smoke produced by the cigarette without exhaling or letting any smoke escape into other people's personal space, as far as I am concerned they can smoke wherever they damn well please.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:01 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It is my right to go out in public withour fear of assault with a toxic substance..

Yeah, I'm against chemtrails, too.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:11 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
A gift to smugglers! Also a good source of income to commuters to/from NJ and CT! Roll your own, anyone? Actually there is some evidence that smokers save taxpayers so much money in Social Security and Medicare expenses that if that were reflected in prices, cigarettes would actually be subsidized.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:16 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
That's not enough, should be at least $10.00 tax...
I agree and also on every can of beer and glass of wine...

Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
As everyone knows, I HATE smoking, and I absolutely HATE to be around it. However, as others have mentioned, they will be going for my beer next so I do not support the smoking tax.
I'm pulling for $10.00 a can tax on your beer....

Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
The cigaretts era is over, it's not fashion and cool anymore.A good thing.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:31 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What about my "individual liberty" to walk down the street or enjoy a meal without breathing in cigarette smoke? Applies just as much to me as it does to you.

It's very simple really. Your habit is very harmful to other people, therefor it ceases to be about you and your liberty. That's why all over the country you smokers are having the hammer brought down on you.
You are free to walk down the street. Things that you dislike of others such as smoke, you are free to to choose not to be near them. You are free to select a restaurant to eat at, whether you are allowed to eat there is entirely up to the restaurant owner. You are not free to dictate how others should act or how they should use their freedom of choice. You are not free to dictate to a business owner how they will run their business or if they should serve you.

You apparently do not understand what individual liberty is. Your perception of it is more in line of what children think their freedoms are. Sorry, but you are confused here.

Also, I don't smoke. Unlike you though, I respect the rights of others to choose for themselves and am not obnoxious enough to believe that my opinion sets the precedence on freedoms.

And your claim of it being harmful? Inconclusive, though I doubt you would understand what I am talking about. After all, you had no clue concerning my discussion on PEL and TLV of various toxins. Go ahead though, you tell me though, its about safety. Pure BS. It is about what you want. As I said, a child argues in the same manner. They have no problems demanding of others anything they want, but have little understanding of the responsibility of being free to choose.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It is my right to go out in public withour fear of assault with a toxic substance.

When smokers figure out how to light up and inhale all of the smoke produced by the cigarette without exhaling or letting any smoke escape into other people's personal space, as far as I am concerned they can smoke wherever they damn well please.

Go back and review the discussion concerning that point. I have already covered this. Your "objection" is invalid because it is one of a double standard to which you pick and choose that which you believe is an acceptable toxin to be in contact with.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
You are free to walk down the street. Things that you dislike of others such as smoke, you are free to to choose not to be near them.
Why does your right to smoke override my right to not inhale your smoke?

It doesn't. Hence the legislative smackdown you guys have taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies