Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:11 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times

Advertisements

Too many people own homes. This is a much needed correction.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
The pop was trying to be stopped. We are overbuilt and that means we should see a big reduction in building for a long time.
I'm not sure what you mean by "the pop was trying to be stopped." In fact I have no idea what you are trying to convey. But as for the argument that we are overbuilt, on that issue I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am for cutting capital gains and the top marginal tax rates, these two things will stimulate the economy.
I am for halving corporate tax.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
Rip residential real estate. Those of us who save will be able to buy a decent house with a nice acreage and a good shop and machine shed without any debt or overpaying for it eventually. Real estate is still too expensive today.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Rip residential real estate. Those of us who save will be able to buy a decent house with a nice acreage and a good shop and machine shed without any debt or overpaying for it eventually. Real estate is still too expensive today.
Agricultural land has not come down...yet. I suspect when the ethanol subsidy disappears it will but in my part of the midwest tillable acreage and even pasture/timber continue to hold steady or slightly rise in price. So much so that it is more profitable for farmers to rent land for cultivation/pasture rather than to purchase it outright.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Obama has not increased taxes. He NEEDS to increase taxes on the rich and end the 2 billion dollar a day wars Bush started.
You must be crazy, we need to lower the taxes on the rich and corporations, that will stimulate the economy and pull us out of the depression. Its called trickle down and it always works, imagine how bad off BP would be if they didn't get tax cuts while they were making record profits. A few years before the depression started the rich got huge tax cuts from president Bush. Look how well that turned out . So this time it will work, this time lowering taxes on corporations will pull us out of this mess we're in. I mean it worked in the past didn't it? I got it, let's not tax corporations at all, screw it do away with Federal Income taxes for everyone, of course the biggest welfare recipient in the world would have to be disbanded ( United States Military). Jefferson didn't believe in a standing army and neither do I.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Agricultural land has not come down...yet. I suspect when the ethanol subsidy disappears it will but in my part of the midwest tillable acreage and even pasture/timber continue to hold steady or slightly rise in price. So much so that it is more profitable for farmers to rent land for cultivation/pasture rather than to purchase it outright.
Yeah, I watch what productive crop ground is selling for and if it does come down in price enough than that would be ideal to buy and rent out for additional income. There will be deflation for a while in residential real estate but its harder to predict where productive agricultural land goes, I suspect in the chaos to come for the economy it too will go down some.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Reagan reduced the top marginal rate form 70% to 28%, the man was a genius!
His tax credit approach was genius? I ask because most people here are opposed to tax credits, so they probably think Reagan was an idiot too. Tax reductions (credits) for home buyers has worked in the past, because home ownership leads to purchase of other goods such as tools, appliances, funrniture, garden equipment, kitchen stuff etc. It also builds equity for the owner. Reagan knew that when he said he wanted a house on every lot. However, now it appears people are afraid of owning a home after what happened with the housing bust.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:13 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
His tax credit approach was genius? I ask because most people here are opposed to tax credits, so they probably think Reagan was an idiot too. Tax reductions (credits) for home buyers has worked in the past, because home ownership leads to purchase of other goods such as tools, appliances, funrniture, garden equipment, kitchen stuff etc. It also builds equity for the owner. Reagan knew that when he said he wanted a house on every lot. However, now it appears people are afraid of owning a home after what happened with the housing bust.
I think it's cute how you equate reducing marginal rates to laser beam focused credits. If demand for tools and household stuff drops, the manufacturers will drop their prices, thus increasing demand. Now if government could hire people who understand this econ 101 concept we'd be good to go!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I think it's cute how you equate reducing marginal rates to laser beam focused credits. If demand for tools and household stuff drops, the manufacturers will drop their prices, thus increasing demand. Now if government could hire people who understand this econ 101 concept we'd be good to go!
Show me where I equated them? I said Reagans tax credits, and I meant Reagans tax credits. He promoted home ownership, and I don't think it was a bad move at all.

You think deflation is a good thing? I can assure you that it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies