Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:14 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Nah, Israel does not have the cajones to march off without PaPa America's blessing. They need that allowance they get to pretend they are a sovereign nation, no strings attached.

Think of it like a rebelious pain in the rear teenager you have. They threaten but will never actually go through with anything, they know where their bread is buttered.
If you would have asked me this time last year, I would have said yeah, but anymore, I'm not so sure. Netanyahu and Avigdor Lieberman make a pretty extreme pair that makes one pine for the days of Shimon Peres. I have a writer friend in Tel Aviv who jokingly likened Avigdor Lieberman to Dick Cheney on a three day meth and PCP binge after his wife filed for divorce. On one hand I couldn't help but chuckle and on the other.... yikes.

As it stands today, I would not be surprised to wake one morning to find Israel did indeed launch a strike on Iran and I also wouldn't be surprised that before the sunset that day, the US would find itself neck deep in an all out regional war. While I doubt it, I wouldn't be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 AM

17 posts, read 16,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Nah, Israel does not have the cajones to march off without PaPa America's blessing. They need that allowance they get to pretend they are a sovereign nation, no strings attached.

Think of it like a rebelious pain in the rear teenager you have. They threaten but will never actually go through with anything, they know where their bread is buttered.
Wow, I think you're quite exaggerating over here. Israel has acted countless of times before on its own, and fulfilled every promise she made, so no base for comparing Israel to a "raging threatening teenager"
However, it is much agreed upon that in case of a strike on Iran, Israel will need US support (blessing?), because it is not as simple as striking Lebanon and\or Syria, and the probability of further developments (like entire Middle East vs. Israel) shouldn't be taken lightly..

Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM

425 posts, read 366,875 times
Third US carrier, 4,000 Marines augment US armada opposite Iran
DEBKAfile, Political Analysis, Espionage, Terrorism, Security If Israel is to strike they should do it while the buildup is high. Question is will Iran immediately go after the US armada if Israel strikes them ?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
Third US carrier, 4,000 Marines augment US armada opposite Iran
DEBKAfile, Political Analysis, Espionage, Terrorism, Security If Israel is to strike they should do it while the buildup is high. Question is will Iran immediately go after the US armada if Israel strikes them ?
IMHO if Iran does anything to retaliate for a strike on their nuclear facilities, it would be a grave mistake.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
IMHO if Iran does anything to retaliate for a strike on their nuclear facilities, it would be a grave mistake.
The dynamics of this situation are very interesting. Obama has done so much to distance himself from Israel but enough to thwart an attack by Iran in the event of an attack by Israel ? Hmmmmm.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:36 PM

615 posts, read 545,211 times
Israel doesn't want a fight with Iran, this is the same Israel that got the snot kicked out of it by Hezbollah a few years ago. The only chance Israel has of knocking Irans nuke facilities is to get the Americans to do it, hopefully we wont fight another war for Israel interest.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
The dynamics of this situation are very interesting. Obama has done so much to distance himself from Israel but enough to thwart an attack by Iran in the event of an attack by Israel ? Hmmmmm.
It sounds like Obama may be listening to someone who has a better understanding of the situation. Same with Afghanistan after he said he would end it.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Israel doesn't want a fight with Iran, this is the same Israel that got the snot kicked out of it by Hezbollah a few years ago. The only chance Israel has of knocking Irans nuke facilities is to get the Americans to do it, hopefully we wont fight another war for Israel interest.
So your ruling out Israel going nuclear ? It could happen in a snap.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
No sovereign nation with even an ounce of pride would keep itself from responding to ANY act of aggression by a foreign nation. And these kind of Israeli threats are the exact reasons why Iran would like to have its own nuclear arsenal and have its own aggressive stance. Two bullies are required to maintain an equilibrium.

As for the USA... I hope our leaders are smart enough than just being puppets to engage in another war for Israel. If it does come down to it, I say, let those who support such actions by the USA pack and be the ones sent to deal with the warfare in person.

Quote:
If Israel went nuclear, it would be in the same position that Germany was, during WWII... isolated, with not even America being able to veto anything in its favor. It will be a suicidal move.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM

615 posts, read 545,211 times
Quote:
Israel could go nuclear, but it we be the end of Israel. The Israelis are in a no win situation, the Iranians are going nuclear and there is not a thing in the world they can do about it. Israel simply doesn't have the ability to fight Iran in a conventional sense. My only fear is the US gets involved and trys to attack Iran for Israel, I don't think Obama is that stupid though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies