Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
My house is paid for but tell me why do you not demand the same personal responsibility from the people you vote for, as you do from strangers you never met?

You demand no corporate responsibility because those are the people that are going to jail? The dummies that bought the houses were stupid but they did not break the law.

No confusion in my mind, why do you hold him in such hi esteem?
I do expect and attempt to hold those I vote for to the same personal responsibility as I hold for myself. However, most people fall desperately short of having that level of character. You assume much about me that you are way off base on.

Actually, yes, a number of people who lied about their income and funds available for purchase did break the law and knowingly did so in order to get the loans. The loan officers in turn worked off of commission, andn knowing the paper would not be held long wrote as many mortgages as they could. There was a time in the not so distant past that banks held their own paper and loaned with care accordingly. This largely stopped under Clinton.

I don't hold GWB in high esteem; he was a Progressive. I don't hold any Progressives in high esteem.

The corporations did what Congress allowed. Back when lenders had actual ownership in the banks they ran and had personal financial accountability if they failed we didn't have these kinds of problems. However, when we went off the gold standard, when credit became king, lenders were able, largely through government regulation, to escape personal responsibility for their transactions.

If the coporate lenders broke the law then why have they been bailed out? Why are they not in jail? I'm not saying that making bad loans and selling junk paper wasn't morally corrupt but specifically what laws on the books were broken that GWB should have have enforced if you think this ALL happened under his watch? Please, be specific. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gramm leachy allowed Wall Street to get in on it and ride the toxic debt wave.
Imagine if it was a democrat majority that voted yes,:cryin g:. But since it was republican;.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Imagine if it was a democrat majority that voted yes,:cryin g:. But since it was republican;.
Doesn't matter to me which party voted it in..it got passed.
I'm not a cheerleader for either D or R.

The Repubs may have passed it..but Clinton signed it into law.
Gramm then went off to his cushy job at UBS
Goldman Sachs went on to be the biggest creditor of the world.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
No Bush just allowed the fraud that allowed the homes to be overpriced. When are you people going to hold your baby Jesus Bush accountable.
When are you going to wait till you know what you're talking about before you start posting?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:55 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When are you going to wait till you know what you're talking about before you start posting?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Quote:
No Bush just allowed the fraud that allowed the homes to be overpriced. When are you people going to hold your baby Jesus Bush accountable.
"you people" You are so funny. You think that just because we can't stand Obumbles, that we like what Bush did? No. And there are a lot of Conservatives that voted for Bush and then became unhappy with some of the things that he did. At least "us people" can admit that. Once again, we don't give him a free pass on everything, and once again, it is now well into Obama's watch and we are still screwed. It's a little something called "copping out". He needs to put on his big boy pants, and do something. And blaming Bush doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies