Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

In some areas, yes, I wish we were more like Europe. If it pisses some people off to hear my opinion, too bad. It is what it is, and I vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
In some areas, yes, I wish we were more like Europe. If it pisses some people off to hear my opinion, too bad. It is what it is, and I vote.
You know what pisses me off?? Is someone wants ALL of the US to be like Europe, not parts of it because everyone should be under THEIR idea of what life should be... we had that kind of narrow-minded behavior before (it didn't work out, apparently people that are different, didn't like to be treated that way)... What makes me even MORE pissed off, is that these people want to live like Europe and have SOMEONE else pay the bills...

Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Maybe I don't get it... What does Europe do that won't cost me more?
Well to give them credit...They stopped spending the lion's share of their national budgets on putting armies all over the world...Not having the US play world police would save you tax money.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:16 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yeah, well I don't know what your reasons are, but I'll say this.

Yes, in Europe there are conflicts. They usually are about ethnic or religious issues whereas in the USA we are still grappling with the tiresome racial issues. Yes, we had Civil Rights and yes we have a multi-racial president but I will say it- this fact PISSES some people off. Hate activity is still very strong in America.

European countries are indeed older. They have had a longer time to wrangle with societal development and they are also, spatially, much smaller in scope. Many Europeans dont even need to get a drivers license whereas in the USA , to simply function and get to your job and the grocery store, you need a car. The oil for your car versus walking/taking a bus thing is tremendously different.

America has very close ties with Europe, especially Western Europe. It's absurd to see bashing going on as if we are so opposed to each other.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Well to give them credit...They stopped spending the lion's share of their national budgets on putting armies all over the world...Not having the US play world police would save you tax money.
Absolutely, I wish there was president with a visible backbone to put a stop to nation building and nation intimidation...

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Well to give them credit...They stopped spending the lion's share of their national budgets on putting armies all over the world...That would cost you less.
True, but don't you know that Americans now moan that we are doing their dirty work? It's interesting to imagine a day when the US actually funnels as much money into its own education and health system as it does its military. And I am all for military, but I still think that day is revolutionary.

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Welfare reforms will be comming to Europe.
Quote:
The system known as the European welfare state was built after World War II as the keystone of a shared prosperity meant to prevent future conflict. Generous lifelong benefits have since become a defining feature of modern Europe.

Now the welfare state — cherished by many Europeans as an alternative to what they see as dog-eat-dog American capitalism — is coming under its most serious threat in decades: Europe's sovereign debt crisis.

Financial crisis threatens Europe's cherished system of social welfare benefits | San Francisco Examiner (http://www.sfexaminer.com/world/financial-crisis-threatens-europes-cherished-system-of-social-welfare-benefits-94701894.html - broken link)

Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 PM

28 posts, read 17,240 times
Lets be more like Greece. Yay !!!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I'm not sure how, in that sense, you think I am "wrong." If you move to Europe and have no job and live off of measly welfare your life will probably suck. If you move there and work and are able to afford your life, just like everywhere else you will have a different perspective. Getting more detailed, if you want a massive suburban house and all your fixings, don't got to Europe unless you have the cash. One does not move to Berlin (or Tokyo!) to have the Mcmansion experience.

Better is indeed subjective. Some people would rather pay more taxes for certain societal "givens" and others wouldn't.
Right! If you pay more taxes, you should get "more" in return but the people that wish to have the European system wants you to pay more taxes and THEY get "more" in return... that is their main distinction!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Absolutely, I wish there was president with a visible backbone to put a stop to nation building and nation intimidation...
I remember watching a British made documentary about British foreign policy from 1945 to 1970. It basically started in Malaya moving westward ending in Ghana and talked about how the British gradually realized country/colony by country/colony that it was stupid to get involved in other people's wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies