Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 03:08 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
I can imagine that you've had to deal with graffti, since you work for the city. But my question is why doesn't the city put money into legal walls for the writers to paint on? More legal spots, less illegal tagging, the city would have less graff to buff, and both parties (I feel) would be happy. And for the record I do occasionally paint with the permission of others. (Ive painted a school mural with other painters ). I'm sorry if your job can sometimes be heartbreaking, I truely am. But you and I both know graffiti will never stop. If anything, it will grow and spread to less urban areas.

But I don't blame you for disliking graff because you've seen firsthand what the effects of it are on people and property owners.
The legal spots have been tried, but you know how tagging crews are. They have to spread their tag and make noise all over the neighborhood. Your probably a legit artist and take your skills seriously, but many taggers don't fit this bill. You know how many of these guys roll. Thats why legal spots fail.

As far as graffiti spreading. As far as I can tell, graffiti peaked in the middle to late 90's and been in decline since. The clean up is much more aggressive and neighborhood are much more involved. The cleaning methods have improved also and cities are more proactive, such as spraying anti graffiti material on street poles, signs, etc. Also, graffiti hotlines have made for a huge improvement. It gotten to the point where taggers have completely given up on many areas of town. My guess is that graffiti in Milwaukee is down around 80% from its peak. Your right about graffiti never going away. It can be controlled, but not eliminated. Tagging is here to stay, but in a controlled manner. The days of bombing entire areas of town are over. It will continue to appear on the sides of old abandoned buildings, rail road cars, bridge underpass etc. This will never end, but for the most part people don't get to upset over this type of graffiti. It's the stuff in the neighborhood that drives people insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 03:33 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Let us talk money.

It takes public money to clean public property.

Insurance money to clean private property. All of our rates go up.

How much cheaper would the goods bought today cost if the RR's did not pay to clean the filth.

We all pay shipping costs.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Let us talk money.

How much cheaper would the goods bought today cost if the RR's did not pay to clean the filth.

Our 100% correct on the cost of cleaning public property. Take Milwaukee for example. In the late 90's the city decided to declare war on graffiti. The city has full time employees dedicated to graffiti removal. It's very costly, but the results have been amazing. I don't think Milwaukee is alone. Many other cities have taken the same type of actions and also have had great results. This is money which could be given back to the tax payers or towards other important needs. It's sad, but without this the problem could slide back to the way it was in the late 90's.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:10 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
Quote:
You make some good points. But I'm sorry to say I will continue to paint legally and illegally...

I'm not special, but so many other people break the laws that have been set too, and what makes them so special? I bet you have driven over the speed limit, what makes you so special that you can go 70 in a 55 zone, youre still disregarding the law that was set and doing what you want. I hope you get what I'm trying to say with this example.
Your comparison of speeding vs. pure out and out vandalism is absurd, and a pathetic attempt to rationalize your selfish, ignorant and aberrant behavior. Grow up and get a clue. The world doesn't revolve around you, then again, perhaps all those joints you have smoked have taken their toll.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM

448 posts, read 533,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
The legal spots have been tried, but you know how tagging crews are. They have to spread their tag and make noise all over the neighborhood. Your probably a legit artist and take your skills seriously, but many taggers don't fit this bill. You know how many of these guys roll. Thats why legal spots fail.

As far as graffiti spreading. As far as I can tell, graffiti peaked in the middle to late 90's and been in decline since. The clean up is much more aggressive and neighborhood are much more involved. The cleaning methods have improved also and cities are more proactive, such as spraying anti graffiti material on street poles, signs, etc. Also, graffiti hotlines have made for a huge improvement. It gotten to the point where taggers have completely given up on many areas of town. My guess is that graffiti in Milwaukee is down around 80% from its peak. Your right about graffiti never going away. It can be controlled, but not eliminated. Tagging is here to stay, but in a controlled manner. The days of bombing entire areas of town are over. It will continue to appear on the sides of old abandoned buildings, rail road cars, bridge underpass etc. This will never end, but for the most part people don't get to upset over this type of graffiti. It's the stuff in the neighbor
hood that drives people insane.
I know what you mean about crews, no exaggeration, but all crews are painting to get all city and that's it. They're not in it for the art aspect of it, just the thrill, and being notorious. I know that legal spots fail, which is upsetting to me because Ive only been able to paint in one. Many writers who tag for the thrill and rebellion think that legal walls are selling out, and it's not "real graff". I could care less about if it's "real" or not. I just enjoy the art.

I think I do take my art serious to a point. Most think what I do isn't art and that's fine, but it is to me. Painting is a hobby of mine and I hope to go to college for graphic design/printmaking (like I think I've said before ) and try to enter more mediums of art.

Now that I think of it, your right. Graff has peaked, it shot off in the 80's here in Philly and New York. If you paint on transit trains (not boxcars, actual public trains, WHICH I DONT DO) they get buffed. Back in the 90s writers could paint on the actual trains and they could see their work go by the next day on the tracks. So you're right, the cities have cracked down.

I think that the focus of stopping graffiti is so narrowed in on the cities only, that it leaves the neighborhoods high and dry. They're easy targets for taggers.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Let us talk money.

Again I will say it. More legal walls, less illegal graff, less costs you need to pay.

But like someone said before legal walls don't always work. But I can personally tell you if there were more legal walls here in Philly I would take to them over having to hit the tracks, so that would be one less painter out there.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
First, I am glad to read that you are not defacing personal property. Second, I have to admit while we were taking the interuban trains in a number of cities across the country, I actually appreciated the local "art."

On the other hand, I think that by doing what you are doing, even with your self-imposed limitations, you are encouraging others to do the same, and they may not have the same respect you have.

Why not approach owners with distressed property and inquire if they would object to having it become a public "art" venue? Heck, contact the Chamber of Commerce and ask them to enter a request in their newsletter?

Certainly there are opportunities, if you approach it within the communication channels the owners would be open to receiving.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Your comparison of speeding vs. pure out and out vandalism is absurd, and a pathetic attempt to rationalize your selfish, ignorant and aberrant behavior. Grow up and get a clue. The world doesn't revolve around you, then again, perhaps all those joints you have smoked have taken their toll.
Telling me to grow up really? When you're taking a shot at me because I smoke marijuana?...oh the irony of it all.

Legalize It.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
First, I am glad to read that you are not defacing personal property. Second, I have to admit while we were taking the interuban trains in a number of cities across the country, I actually appreciated the local "art."

On the other hand, I think that by doing what you are doing, even with your self-imposed limitations, you are encouraging others to do the same, and they may not have the same respect you have.

Why not approach owners with distressed property and inquire if they would object to having it become a public "art" venue? Heck, contact the Chamber of Commerce and ask them to enter a request in their newsletter?

Certainly there are opportunities, if you approach it within the communication channels the owners would be open to receiving.
I know for a fact that people don't have the same limits when painting, because I know others who paint just to get on the scene, and get their name out. And when opportunities come up when I am able to paint for someone with their permission I have painted. I enjoy painting legally too!

Old 06-25-2010, 05:38 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
Quote:
Telling me to grow up really? When you're taking a shot at me because I smoke marijuana?...oh the irony of it all.

Legalize It.
Typical useless pothead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies