Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,921,402 times

Advertisements

I don't get why the Mason-Dixon (or North-South cultural line in general) is still used as a determinant of racial prejudice. From what I've experienced, the North is as racist as the South, it's that the South is more honest and straightforward about it. In 2010, most states west of the Mississippi River is where race relations ease overall; however, you could argue that in this category, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and the Beaumont area belong "east of," and most of Wisconsin and Minnesota can go "west of." It may not be perfect, but it's better than either the North or South.

For all of those who may want to counter this and pull out all of the race problems in the West, note that:
1) Los Angeles doesn't represent all of California, much less the Western US
2) Are most of the drama-starters in LA and limousine Liberals in SF really have roots from there?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,249,588 times
I see where you're coming from. The North doesn't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to their treatment of blacks vis-a-vis the South. Where the South had Jim Crow, the North had "sundown towns", redlining, restrictive covenants and employment discrimination.

I would probably go even further and designate I-35 roughly as the "boundary" that captures more of the transition from racial tension to tolerance, that way you get rid of most of the areas you mentioned. Of course, the bitter irony with regard to blacks is that the fewer they are in number, the more "tolerable" they become.

i-35 Interstate 35 Road Maps, Traffic, News

Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,322,091 times
What about all of the racism directed toward immigrants from Mexico in the West?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,315,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I see where you're coming from. The North doesn't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to their treatment of blacks vis-a-vis the South.
You're kidding right?

Slavery was outlawed in the North long before it was in the South. In fact the South's refusal to give up slavery was the driving force behind the Civil War.

It was George Wallace standing on the steps of the University of Alabama steps shouting "Segregation Now! Segregation Forever!". I don't recall of any govenor of a Northern state making such a statement.

Lestor Maddox was elected Govenor of the State of Georgia in large part because he was a segregationist.

I don't recall civil rights workers getting murdered in the North. In the South almost since the inception of this country until fairly recently anybody who publically advocated for equal rights for black people was harassed, assaulted or murdered.

The Undergrround Railroad which allowed escaped slaves the opporturnity to go someplace to be FREE went from South to North. Not from North to South.

The Great Migration which saw millions of black people leave the South for better economic opportunities and civil liberties was FROM the South To the North not the other way around.

While racism is alive and well throughout the United States no region has done as much as the South to perpetuate racism.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,420,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I don't get why the Mason-Dixon (or North-South cultural line in general) is still used as a determinant of racial prejudice. From what I've experienced, the North is as racist as the South, it's that the South is more honest and straightforward about it. In 2010, most states west of the Mississippi River is where race relations ease overall; however, you could argue that in this category, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and the Beaumont area belong "east of," and most of Wisconsin and Minnesota can go "west of." It may not be perfect, but it's better than either the North or South.

For all of those who may want to counter this and pull out all of the race problems in the West, note that:
1) Los Angeles doesn't represent all of California, much less the Western US
2) Are most of the drama-starters in LA and limousine Liberals in SF really have roots from there?
No offense, but what was your second-best idea for a thread topic?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 PM

402 posts, read 854,071 times
Default No Dividing Line

There is no dividing line for race relations in America. While in a country of our size it is possible to find individuals who may be racist, by and large no region of the country is any more racist than the other.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
What about all of the racism directed toward immigrants from Mexico in the West?
It's not racism. It's I don't want illegal-scum-in-my-town-ism.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's not racism. It's I don't want illegal-scum-in-my-town-ism.

Well now, don't sugar coat it.

Tell it like it is.

Don't beat aroiund the bush.

Heh heh heh.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,676,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post

Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,228,596 times
I'll give you a hint, a great many of the people living in the West, live there to get away from the racial issues of the East. This is especially true in areas like Oregon, Idaho, and parts of Utah.

My friend lives in Northern Georgia, and he was talking about all the "survivalists" who live up in the mountains. Who all claim to not be racist. But he says, if they aren't racist, then why are all the survivalists white?

It is very plain to see for anyone with two eyes, that this country has severe problems with racism and xenophobia. The problem is that all countries have severe problems with racism and xenophobia. To believe that we could be any different is plain silly.

If you want my honest opinion, I think any amount of racial intervention is a bad thing. The only time racial intervention is necessary is to stop violence. Trying to create some form of social engineering to push your view of the world on others, who don't share your sentiments. You are only causing more hostilities.

I know most people herald the civil war as some sort of triumph of civil rights and freedom. But it simply wasn't. The Civil War was an absolute travesty, and the reconstruction era was even worse. Blacks in the south in many ways went from bad to worse, as the southern economy was completely destroyed. To be honest, the relationship between whites and free blacks was far better in the south BEFORE the civil war than after. The reconstruction era which led to the utter humiliation of the south, created extreme hatred between whites and blacks in that region that lasted more than 100 years. Slavery would have died in the south regardless of the civil war, and if it had died out in the south, it would have been because the southerners chose it, not because it was forced down their throats.

Read anything about reconstruction, everyone will say it was an utter failure.

And I agree with many people who worry that by having the supreme court weighing in on the gay-marriage issue, it can only do harm. The issue should be dealt with in California by Californians. When the supreme court gets involved, it must necessarily look as if they are undermining the will of the people of California. The California gay-marriage ban won't last forever, it could easily be repealed by putting it back on the ballot. And when the state repeals the ban on its own, it would much better for everyone.

Lastly, people really have to take changes more slowly. As someone said before, areas with fewer minorities tend to have much better relationships with them. You can't just take a bunch of people and force them together suddenly and expect them to get along. It just never works that way, it always makes things worse.

Change has to be slow, and people have to learn to accept each other on their own. People don't just wake up one morning after being racist their entire lives and say "oh, the government says racism is bad, so I'm not going to be racist anymore". No, it doesn't work that way.

And when you try to force someone to change, they are going to be much more hesitant than by trying to show them why they should want to change.

This is our problem across the entire world, this is the cause of our militarism, and this is the cause of most of the terrorism. They hate us because we have military bases in their countries. They hate us because we are constantly intervening in their politics and economies. They hate us because we try to force them to change.

Regardless of whether or not we think we are doing right and good, we really have to learn to lead by example and not by force. Leading by force is just bad, bad, bad, and more bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies