Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So, you think we'd be a stronger democracy and have more liberty if we did not have a military?

What do you suppose the founding fathers would have suggested we do when we were attacked at Pearl Harbor?
We're not a democracy, we're a republic.

Second, a strong military can be turned against the people by a tyrannical government.

Lastly, if we'd followed our founders' advice and not gotten ourselves entangled in foreign affairs trying to play world's policeman, we wouldn't of been attacked at Pearl Harbor. In fact Hitler probably wouldn't have come to power in Germany either.

The militia system our founders created, exactly like Switzerland's today, is perfectly fine for defense if not playing world's policeman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Here's the transcript in context.

My multiple responsibilities as Commander-in-Chief led me to this decision. First, I have a responsibility to the extraordinary men and women who are fighting this war, and to the democratic institutions that I've been elected to lead. I've got no greater honor than serving as Commander-in-Chief of our men and women in uniform, and it is my duty to ensure that no diversion complicates the vital mission that they are carrying out.

That includes adherence to a strict code of conduct. The strength and greatness of our military is rooted in the fact that this code applies equally to newly enlisted privates and to the general officer who commands them. That allows us to come together as one. That is part of the reason why America has the finest fighting force in the history of the world.

It is also true that our democracy depends upon institutions that are stronger than individuals. That includes strict adherence to the military chain of command, and respect for civilian control over that chain of command. And that’s why, as Commander-in-Chief, I believe this decision is necessary to hold ourselves accountable to standards that are at the core of our democracy.

I don't think this is true. I think it is 180 degrees out of phase. This country is based on individual freedom. The Bill of Rights LIMIT the power that "institutions" have on the individual.

"Civilian control" - I have heard that said a few times amongst politicians lately. There is something there behind why that phrase is used - but I am not sure what it is yet.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
I think this goes along with the perception that many have about Obama as a whole. This is part of the reason. Comments by him right now(even more so), are looked at with much suspicion by all parties. Although, I disagree with him on just about every issue, I can understand the scrunity, as every President has to go through that. Do I feel sorry for him, no. He made his bed, now he has to lie in it........

Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think you have it skewed a little. The Hitlers and Stalins of the world, viewed state policies that violated individual human rights were justified, because their sacrifice was needed in order to advance the agenda for the "greater good or higher ideal" of the state.
Do I have it skewed a little? I don't think so, but I think we would both be in agreement that although there exists only a fine line of separation, there's a world of difference between the idea of "sacrificing for the greater good" and "the ends justifies the means" rhetoric of totalitarianism.

Last edited by Zekester; 06-24-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Second, a strong military can be turned against the people by a tyrannical government.

Lastly, if we'd followed our founders' advice and not gotten ourselves entangled in foreign affairs trying to play world's policeman, we wouldn't of been attacked at Pearl Harbor. In fact Hitler probably wouldn't have come to power in Germany either.

The militia system our founders created, exactly like Switzerland's today, is perfectly fine for defense if not playing world's policeman.
Good points, but it's far too late. We can't turn back now. We have to have a standing military now as a result of mistakes we made in the past.

Militias are stronger than individuals. So, Obama was right, and the founding fathers would have agreed with his statement.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:26 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
So, you think we'd be a stronger democracy and have more liberty if we did not have a military?

What do you suppose the founding fathers would have suggested we do when we were attacked at Pearl Harbor?

not a stronger democracy, but a stronger Constitutional Republic as our founding fathers inteded for the USA to be. democracy has always failed, but not so with a constitutional republic.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 06-24-2010 at 09:40 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
The title of this thread is a quote from President Obama on June 23, 2010, which I put into the form of a question because I wanted to ask everyone: Does this sound like something our founding fathers would have said about Individuals in this country?

YouTube - President Speech June 23 2010 - Tea Party HD

what can you expect a clear government knows how to run (ruin) your life better than you marxist? He has nom respect for the Founding Fathers of our Nation, our Nation, or of anyone who believes we should have any rights as promised under the Constitution. There is no defending this as-clown president, he is an enemy to everything the USA is supposed to be, along with every person who thinks for themselves instead of waiting for a government handout.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Agreed!!

That is what the Constitution is about.

Protecting the citizens from the government.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
not a stronger democracy, but a stronger Constitutional republic as our founding fathers inteded for the USA to be. democracy has always failed, but not so with a constitutional republic.

Exactly. Agreeing with scum like obama that this a democracy instead of a Constitutional Republic is setting yourself up for a fall of the country. I am now at the point when I hear a politician say it's a democracy, they lost any chance of me voting for them. We do not need people that stupid or that hellbent on the destruction of my Nation in any office.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:

To hear some tell it, Cut taxes and roll back government spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies