Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,284,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I did not vote for Obama but I am beginning to feel like you do about war. I mean...what has the US gained from all the wars going back to the Vietnam war? I cannot think of much but I sure can think of many, many things that have been lost and it seems they were lost for naught.
The US has gained nothing. The Federal Reserve, (who loans every dollar spent, to the government at interest) private banks, and the corporations who supply the wars, make fortunes. During Viet Nam, JP Morgan loaned money to the Soviet Union who were supplying the North. Occasionally a Millitary Officer gets sick of seeing young men fed into a meat grinder so bankers and CEO's can profit, and speak up. Eisenhower and Macarthur both criticized the industial military machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM

571 posts, read 943,158 times
Obama, Democrats, & Republicans everywhere! Iran may have oil! Quick, find an excuse to attack them!

Old 06-25-2010, 06:06 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I did not vote for Obama but I am beginning to feel like you do about war. I mean...what has the US gained from all the wars going back to the Vietnam war? I cannot think of much but I sure can think of many, many things that have been lost and it seems they were lost for naught.
We gained nothing from Vietnam other than a huge memorial with 58195 names on it.

The reason the US "gained" anything from WWII was because it was a global war centered in Europe and Asia that pretty much left them in a pile of ruins. The United States was the only country left that was essentially untouched as far as infrastructure was concerned and so if people wanted to buy something, chances are we were the only ones making it.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
The reason the US "gained" anything from WWII was because it was a global war centered in Europe and Asia that pretty much left them in a pile of ruins. The United States was the only country left that was essentially untouched as far as infrastructure was concerned and so if people wanted to buy something, chances are we were the only ones making it.
Yes there is that but, what would the US and the world be like had Germany and Japan won?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Germany would be running Europe and Japan would dominate Indochina. The US would be a debtor nation still paying off the failure.

Any similarity with the current state of affairs is not a coincidence.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:01 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Germany would be running Europe and Japan would dominate Indochina. The US would be a debtor nation still paying off the failure.

Any similarity with the current state of affairs is not a coincidence.
Quite an interesting thought, one of those things that makes you go hmmmm...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 AM

159 posts, read 144,407 times
The tough thing about iran is a lot of the young population. They so much want to exist normally in the world, yet they are controlled by defiant hardliners who pose a threat to them and the region in general.

It's such a difficult spot, but that leadership with nukes has the potential for catastrophe.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
NewsNow: Loading story...
NewsNow: Loading story...

These articles indicate that there is some kind of military movements in the mid east that could mean an attack on Iran is imminent. Are we going to war in Iran?
Why is it that it is common to see Israel (and US tagged along with it) being the aggressor? Turn it around, and we just might end up with WWIII.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:03 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,284,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why is it that it is common to see Israel (and US tagged along with it) being the aggressor? Turn it around, and we just might end up with WWIII.
We may indeed end up with just that, you had better decide which side you are on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies