Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Me too.
Prayer always works, except when it doesn't.
Prayer accomplishes nothing, certainly not miracles.
Guess you never have faith about anything in life. That must be a terrible way to live. Always seeing the worst and bad in the world no faith in anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Sure, when reason and logic falls short, non-believers can always be threatened with eternal damnation.

LOL you have connected two vastly unconnected things my friend. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom according to the bible.

reason and logic have no role what so ever. In attempting to grasp the depth of an immeasurable God, logic and reason are simply the wrong tools. You might as well try driving a 16 penny nail with a wet noodle.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
God loves unconditionally, we are told one day...and the next day..we are told that he's jealous of other Gods. He's pleased, then he blows his cork. Are you clean enough for god ? Have you pulled an Onan, lately ?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscopico View Post
and it's nothing but a feel good story.
well, coming to a knowlege of God and knowing one is in a proper relationship with him... as a matter of faith... certainly does feel good... that is for sure.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM

137 posts, read 170,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Primitive notions of religion? Like most of the rest of the Western world?

I think someone's terribly confused.
In Europe the number of Atheists is far more than here in the US. The US is considered to be about 15% non-religious, which is less than Slovenia, Finland, Norway, Spain, Denmark, Hungary, The UK, Luxembourg, Sweden, Germany, Estonia, The Netherlands, Belgium, The Czech Republic and France. Plus, Europe is moving away from religion more and more. Again, it's very easy to research and not all that difficult to figure out anyway. Simply type into Google and you'll see.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Guess you never have faith about anything in life. That must be a terrible way to live. Always seeing the worst and bad in the world no faith in anything.
Oh, he has faith, he just doesn't recognize it as such!

To me to believe that this world just happened from a "big BANG" as opposed to a intelligent loving creator takes ALOT more faith than it does to believe in God!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
A narrow minded christian assumption; either one believes in god or has no beliefs at all. I think you'd be surprised.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveycrockettino View Post
In Europe the number of Atheists is far more than here in the US. The US is considered to be about 15% non-religious, which is less than Slovenia, Finland, Norway, Spain, Denmark, Hungary, The UK, Luxembourg, Sweden, Germany, Estonia, The Netherlands, Belgium, The Czech Republic and France. Plus, Europe is moving away from religion more and more. Again, it's very easy to research and not all that difficult to figure out anyway. Simply type into Google and you'll see.
Considering my ancestors escaped Europe, I dont think I have any desire to emulate them now....

Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscopico View Post
and faith does not pay your bills, your job does. Faith does not heal your cancer, medicine does. Faith does protect you in a car accident, your car does.

In short, faith is nothing but a deaf lie.
It's sad (to me) that you feel this way. What is wrong with having a belief that there is a Higher Power, whatever you want to call that power? I hope you never experience an overwhelming tragedy in your life, but if you do, you may well wonder whether there is Higher Power and you may even find it comforting to believe there is. Those kinds of experiences in life often open up a new door, one that is worth stepping through to a new and enriching perspective.

As for considering faith vs. experience, let me try to put it this way: When one lives by faith for any length of time, it becomes an experiential faith, tried and tested and true. No longer an "I hope so" but "I know so" faith. I suppose that will be hard for some to understand, but if they ever take that step and open themselves up to the possibility, they will experience it for themselves and know it's so. We are spiritual beings, and I hope your spirit is blessed by God to see it.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
A narrow minded christian assumption; either one believes in god or has no beliefs at all. I think you'd be surprised.

agreed! I think it requires a great deal more faith to not believe in God than it does to believe that God is real...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies