Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:14 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
There are many schools of thought, most inspired by the need to explain away some problem with scripture. I myself place very few expectations on God, after all, when you are the arbitrary ruler of the universe you can do anything you please.

But I would at least expect a competent God to be able to deliver a single volume of unambiguous prose.
Aha, one of those words that is being used on the present messiah, competent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The return of Jesus will come suddenly, as lighting would. Your prediction would require our government to act with lightning speed. Literally. And we all know the government does nothing fast.
I guess you didn't see that video I posted some time ago about the speedy removal of the people in a room. The prog atheists really attacked that one because of the rapidity of the disappearance of so many people in one room. They don't seem to believe that anything can be done that quickly.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Great. 41% believe the star character of a fairy tale is coming to save them from reality. 'God' help us all.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:29 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you didn't see that video I posted some time ago about the speedy removal of the people in a room. The prog atheists really attacked that one because of the rapidity of the disappearance of so many people in one room. They don't seem to believe that anything can be done that quickly.
When it came to bailing out Wall Street they moved very fast.

And there are people on these boards who would love for government to move with lightning speed in deporting illegal immigrants who don't speak English, even if Jesus Christ happens to be one of them.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
It interesting to me that all of the arguments used in this thread against Christian Faith have been dealt with in the Christian Bible.

All of the scripture was written 2000 years ago or more.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:56 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Yet another internal Biblical contradiction.

Had you included both the Matthew quotations I provided rather than selectively dropped the one you found most problematic, you would not have needed to ask the question.

He was speaking specifically to the people "standing here"... i.e. the generation of the people he was speaking to at that moment.

I am fully aware of the very silly "Futurist" quibble. But if Christianity were not replete with contradictions, problems and internal self refutations there would be no need for "apologetics."
I didn't include that verse because it doesn't refer to His return to earth, as in the second coming, which is the topic of this thread. There are various interpretations of that verse, (as you may know but did not disclose) but a the generally accepted one is that, in context, it refers to His transfiguration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscopico View Post
Dont feel sad. Im quite happy with my successful life . What is wrong with your kind of belief? well, actually not much. However, in my opinion, it makes you look foolish, but worse is that christians want to instill laws based on their religion. And no, im not talking about society laws, such as murder, im talking about bible thumping moral laws. ex. blue laws. THAT'S JUST ONE EXAMPLE, too.

Oh, and i've had my share of downs in my life. I've never had the urge to close my eyes and speak to an imaginary being. Interesting point, my wife was pretty much a devout catholic when we got married. Since her dad died from cancer, she resents this so called "god" and now has an agnostic feelings (borderline atheist). Let me just tell you, she was let down by YOUR god. .
Then, she never knew God. She's not alone. There are many like her who are angry at God because He didn't meet their expectatations, according to their image of God. I'm not saying she did this, but you probably realize that God is often remade in the image of man by man. Limited as we are, it's easier to want to bring God down to our level than accept Him without fully understanding Him and His ways. Your wife might like to read an excellent book by Philip Yancey called "Disappointment With God". In fairly direct language he explains why we are disappointed when things don't go our way. Oh, and I don't think MY God let her down. I think it's more likely that her image of God was at fault. She let herself down. We often do that, and then blame God.

Please share this with your wife. It is a verse that has helped me understand the "why" of losing someone we love:
Isaiah 57:1 The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away,
and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil.

I don't understand all God's ways, but I do understand that His ways are always, in the end, good.

And, with that, I think I'm done with being off topic.

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-24-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 PM

114 posts, read 200,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Let me ask you all something say

Your child is really really sick in the hosp and they are running test on your child. Do you not have faith that your child is going to get better. Or are you just doom and gloom your child is doing to die

When your child or loved one walks outside for the day do you not believe or have faith that they will return home safe?

When you wake up in the morning do you not believe that you will live to go back to sleep in that bed?

It is no different then having faith that there is a GOD.
I have faith in nothing. I do however have HOPE (Which is totally different.)

I'm not gonig to bash but has anyone noticed the countries with the most Atheists/Agnotics/Buddhists seem to be the most Secular, Democratic, Peaceful and Religious tolerant with higher IQ's. Yes, I also no correlation does not imply causation. Just sayin'

I guess Seperation of Church and State DOES WORK! :P

No one's ever killed in the name of Athiesm
WE ROCK. Lawl Just wakin' I know some cool christians.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:13 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusTheSpartan View Post
I'm not gonig to bash but has anyone noticed the countries with the most Atheists/Agnotics/Buddhists seem to be the most Secular, Democratic, Peaceful and Religious tolerant with higher IQ's. :P

No one's ever killed in the name of Athiesm
Do you include Stalin's regime (and other Communist countries, e.g. China) among your "most democratic, peaceful and religious tolerant with higher IQ's?" Or was that just an oversight on your part?

There are many so-called "peaceful" countries where Christians have to practice their faith in secret, at great risk to their lives.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

YouTube - George Carlin - Anjos

Old 06-24-2010, 01:19 PM

114 posts, read 200,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
This is without a doubt the best post I have read in my short time on CD.
I agree completely. The brightest men in science are Christians.
And the fact that you are not threatened by atheist, and don't put them down and mock them and belittle them says a lot about your character and your intellect. Thanks you.
What are you talking about!

No offence but due research.

Bill Gates: Atheist
Warren Buffet: Atheist
CARL SAGAN: Atheist
93% of sciencetists: Atheists
10% of America's population and 0.2% of America's prison: Atheist
Isaac Asimov: Atheist
Noam Chomsky: Atheist
Francis Crick: Atheist
Marie Curie: Atheist
Richard Dawkins: Atheist
Daniel Dannett: Atheist
Stephen Gould: Atheist
Massimo Pigliucci: Atheist
Steven Pinker: Atheist
Karl Popper: Athiest
Michael Shermer: Atheist
James Watson: Atheist
E.O. Wilson: Atheist

(I include Athiests, Buddhists, Agnostics and people of Athiestic religions.)
No, I'm not dissing religion but Atheists on Average have 5 point higher IQ then Churchgoers.

Whippy DOO! 1 (JUST ONE) Really smart Christian. Remember people Plural beats Singular action.

Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies