Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you appprove of the no fault divorce law?
No, I don't approve of it. 16 28.57%
Yes, I approve of the law. 37 66.07%
Not sure 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

I have mixed feelings. Having no fault divorce creates an easy-in/easy-out mindset and people marry in haste knowing they can get out of it whenever they like. This is especially hard on somone who DOESN'T want a divorce but who's spouse finds someone better and wants to trade up. Very few people today seem to think someone should stay in a marriage if they can be happier with someone else. If that is how we want to be then no-fault is definitely the answer. If we want to maintain the family unit then it's a disaster. It all comes down to that and I have to wonder, if no-fault IS what we want then maybe we should ask ourselves if marriage is something we want to keep or do away with altogether because all it does is create a tangled mess for the divorce lawyers to dig into. The next logical step from no-fault is no-marriage, every man/woman for themself. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have mixed feelings. Having no fault divorce creates an easy-in/easy-out mindset and people marry in haste knowing they can get out of it whenever they like. This is especially hard on somone who DOESN'T want a divorce but who's spouse finds someone better and wants to trade up. Very few people today seem to think someone should stay in a marriage if they can be happier with someone else. If that is how we want to be then no-fault is definitely the answer. If we want to maintain the family unit then it's a disaster. It all comes down to that and I have to wonder, if no-fault IS what we want then maybe we should ask ourselves if marriage is something we want to keep or do away with altogether because all it does is create a tangled mess for the divorce lawyers to dig into. The next logical step from no-fault is no-marriage, every man/woman for themself. Right?
While there would be some bitter irony in heterosexuals being denied the right to marry just as gays have been, the SCOTUS has held that there is a right to marry in Loving v. Virginia and Skinner v. Oklahoma, and both of those precedents would have to be overturned in order for the right of marriage to be deprived to the entire population.

The odds of Skinner and Loving being overturned are extremely, extremely unlikely. The only people in the US who'd want Loving overturned are white supremacists and the Nation of Islam, neither of which hold any political power. And I highly doubt there's ANYONE in the US who'd want Skinner overturned.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
New York Poised to Pass No-Fault Divorce, Joining Rest of U.S. - BusinessWeek

NY will become the 50th and final state to instate this law, which will unfortunately probably increase the divorce rate, which is currently 38.7% according to the NY Daily News, the third lowest divorce rate in the country. I say we repeal this law in every state, it's done nothing but add to the breakdown of marriages and families.
In NY it was making millions for lawyers , the party is over lawyers will have to find another pigeon . Its never for the good of people , its about the cash .

Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
done more damage to america than all out war with china.
You can say that again. With organized crime (feminism) rising in the western world, more trouble will rise in the dating field.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:34 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Never heard of couples that get divorced and then remarry?

Sometimes couples get divorced too quickly. I think it'd be good to make it more difficult to divorce.
Knew two different couples that got a divorce and remarried only to get another divorce.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:43 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I thank God for no-fault divorce. It allowed me to get out of a 20 year marriage that my ex-husband destroyed without having to mortgage my children's future on attorneys fees or having to drag all the embarrasing details into the public record.

News flash to anyone who has never been divorced. it is NEVER easy. It is ALWAYS painful and no one wants to go through it twice. I admire people who have the guts to get married again after divorce. I lack the optimism to ever do it again.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:17 PM

89 posts, read 142,030 times
Interesting how the man-hating feminists oppose the law. Makes it harder for them to plunder a man's hard-earned income and hand it over a gold-digging ex-wife.

Since divorce courts are often misandrous with outdated laws, it's nice to see men finally get some protection, not to mention the children who often become pawns in fights over money.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:21 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
no one should have to justify to a stranger or a court why they want a divorce. you people who oppose want to force a couple to stay together if the court doesn't think their reason isn't good enough. talk about freedom in america

Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Sooo.... you want to force people to stay married when they don't want to?

How is that going to 'save' marriage?
they could separate for a year, then file for divorce under the current system..

Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
they could separate for a year, then file for divorce under the current system..

on the off chance the cheating spouse will change their ways? or the abuser will stop abusing. you wait long enough in a divorce no reason to wait a year longer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies