Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you appprove of the no fault divorce law?
No, I don't approve of it. 16 28.57%
Yes, I approve of the law. 37 66.07%
Not sure 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:02 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times

Advertisements

More hypocrisy from the keep gubment out of our lives crowd. The goverment should be allowed to tell people they can't legally seperate from someone they likely hate. All this after saying the government has a right to tell people who and who they can't marry. So much for "freedom"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
It should be harder to get married than divorced.
Why should it be hard to do either one? Do we really want the government involved in our personal relationships to this extent?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
New York Poised to Pass No-Fault Divorce, Joining Rest of U.S. - BusinessWeek

NY will become the 50th and final state to instate this law, which will unfortanetly probably increase the divorce rate, which is currently 38.7% according to the NY Daily News, the third lowest divorce rate in the country. I say we repeal this law in every state, it's done nothing but add to the breakdown of marriages and families.
No you are wrong. The law has nothing to do with the break down in marriages. People are the cause.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:36 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
New York Poised to Pass No-Fault Divorce, Joining Rest of U.S. - BusinessWeek

NY will become the 50th and final state to instate this law, which will unfortanetly probably increase the divorce rate, which is currently 38.7% according to the NY Daily News, the third lowest divorce rate in the country. I say we repeal this law in every state, it's done nothing but add to the breakdown of marriages and families.

It won't increase the divorce rate.... If you're gonna get divorced, you're gonna get divorced. I don't think people should be forced to blame each other if their divorce truly is amicable. If the justice system forces you to lie, then it's not really just.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Knew two different couples that got a divorce and remarried only to get another divorce.
I know at least one such couple.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Knew two different couples that got a divorce and remarried only to get another divorce.
Actually, re-"marriages" (which aren't even valid in my opinion...the spouse remains married to the person they "divorced") have an even greater chance of ending in divorce than first marriages. Two newlyweds, marriage-naive, have about a 50% chance of divorce; I think this increases to about 60-70% for divorcees.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
It's about damn time! I wish they had this when I got divorced. Easier, faster and cheaper!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:34 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
I am tired of reading posts from men who oppose no fault divorce on the grounds that a woman will marry them just to take their property. Why don't you research something before you speak? With no fault divorce the only property that gets divided is property that was accumulated during the marriage. Also, alimony is not paid. It is fair for the noncustodial parent to pay child support and dividing up property that was accrued during the marriage is fair.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
M.G.L. - Chapter 208 - Table of Contents

Yet it allows divorce for impotence. I guess libs love to pick and choose which disabilities are protectworthy, eh?

What's your point?

Reading MA's statute, they have two ways to get divorced: "no fault" and "fault." "No fault" is when you simply allege in your Complaint/Petition for divorce that the marriage is "irretrievably broken."

Most people would opt to simply allege "irretrievable brokenness." It's simpler, faster, and doesn't drag your marital drama and problems through the mud for the whole world to see.

If you want to go the "fault" route, however, you have the following options:

Fault:
Adultery, impotency, utter desertion continued for one year next prior to the filing of the complaint, gross and confirmed habits of intoxication caused by voluntary and excessive use of intoxicating liquor, opium, or other drugs, cruel and abusive treatment, or, if a spouse being of sufficient ability, grossly or wantonly and cruelly refuses or neglects to provide suitable support and maintenance for the other spouse. (Massachusetts General Laws - Chapter 208 - Sections: 1, 1A, 1B and 2)

"Impotency" being a holdover in the law, of course, from the old days that many conservatives would like to see come back... when marriage was considered just for making babies.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,327 times
I just wish I had half the money divorce attorneys have made before 'no fault' divorce was an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies