Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,452,515 times

Advertisements

Prior to the BP Oil Spill Disaster, it seemed that Arizona had really put the cat among the pigeons (so to speak) in bringing Immigration Reform to the forefront of the political table - especially with elections coming up in November.

I had noticed from both visiting and living in the UK and Europe that nationwide referendums seem to be one true way to bring the voice of the people to their elected officials. Why doesn't the US use this method? I am geniunely asking since I have no idea why it has never (?) been used here and whether you folks think it is a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM

20,893 posts, read 16,031,963 times
It's worked so well for California.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It's worked so well for California.

Yes, since I am not from your state, I can only speak as an observer - but it seems that the way the questions are put on the ballot leads to total confusement among the voting populace. But perhaps that was/is intentional?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:14 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,634,690 times
Since it appears that the voice of the people on many issues is never heard by our pols, I like the idea of national referendums. Written of course by people not in either party and who are independent.

How hard would it be to write a referendum saying:

Do you agree with the healthcare plan?

Do you agree with bailouts?

Do you agree amnesty for illegal aliens?

Very simple and it would let our elected officials know where we stand.

I don't believe polls are representative of the entire population and can be biased.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 AM

That's why I liked the idea - and only registered voters would be participating. It would be the chance the middle class has been waiting for. I asked the question though since when I did a search on Google, it says that every major nation except four (the US being one) has never used it as a forum.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,634,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
That's why I liked the idea - and only registered voters would be participating. It would be the chance the middle class has been waiting for. I asked the question though since when I did a search on Google, it says that every major nation except four (the US being one) has never used it as a forum.
That's because they don't really want to know what we think.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,055,025 times
Quote:
Yes, since I am not from your state, I can only speak as an observer - but it seems that the way the questions are put on the ballot leads to total confusement among the voting populace. But perhaps that was/is intentional?
You are somewhat correct. Many if not most of our ballot measures are just tricks but fortunately many if not most voters (or at least those who actually bother to vote) in CA are fairly politically savvy and tend to research issues. Usually the deceitful measures are soundly defeated. But still some do slip through.

Just to qualify; I'm only commenting on ballot measures and not political representatives. That is an entirely different paradigm that I'm at a complete loss to explain.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,765,683 times
Quote:
Prior to the BP Oil Spill Disaster, it seemed that Arizona had really put the cat among the pigeons (so to speak) in bringing Immigration Reform to the forefront of the political table - especially with elections coming up in November.

I had noticed from both visiting and living in the UK and Europe that nationwide referendums seem to be one true way to bring the voice of the people to their elected officials. Why doesn't the US use this method? I am geniunely asking since I have no idea why it has never (?) been used here and whether you folks think it is a good idea?
I think that the fact that we elect a new leader or re-elect our existing leader every four years serves as our nationwide referendum. And I think that the costs of conducting a nationwide referendum more often would be prohibitive considering the size of the United States as compared to any European country, really.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think that the fact that we elect a new leader or re-elect our existing leader every four years serves as our nationwide referendum. And I think that the costs of conducting a nationwide referendum more often would be prohibitive considering the size of the United States as compared to any European country, really.
I think Catrick hit it spot on and they don't really CARE to know what the people want on each issue. Whether it's because they think we cannot make an intelligent decision so it is best left to them...

Personally, as polarizing as, say, Immigration Reform is - wouldn't it be an easy out for any politican to say "Look, I didn't want to do this, but the overwhelming majority in my state, using the referendum, voted this is how they want it"?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,765,683 times
Quote:
I think Catrick hit it spot on and they don't really CARE to know what the people want on each issue. Whether it's because they think we cannot make an intelligent decision so it is best left to them...

Personally, as polarizing as, say, Immigration Reform is - wouldn't it be an easy out for any politican to say "Look, I didn't want to do this, but the overwhelming majority in my state, using the referendum, voted this is how they want it"?
If they didn't want to know what people thought, they wouldn't conduct polls all the time. Just this year, I've received dozens of calls from pollsters asking my opinion. And easily more than a hundred calls from candidates themselves, sometimes just reminding me to vote, sometimes with a real person at the other end asking questions about how I was voting and why. That doesn't support the idea that they don't CARE.

I'm not sure what your second paragraph is relating to. Why would people want their elected representatives to seek, have, or use "easy outs"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies