Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I used to work at a high end salon and spa that was full of gay people, almost everyone of them was a drug addict, and many were depressed. They also bounced from one partner to another, and had very little contact with their family. That doesn't mean there aren't any stable homoexuals, they do exist. The lifestyle is nothing like it is portrayed on TV though, most gays aren't fashion designers to the Stars living in a expensive apartment in NYC.
And, did it occur to you that may have been because their families disowned them? Do you have any idea how many gay teenagers are put out of their homes when they come out to their parents?

The Checkup - Study Links Gay Teens' Parental Rejection to Future Health Risks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 AM

16 posts, read 9,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And, did it occur to you that may have been because their families disowned them? Do you have any idea how many gay teenagers are put out of their homes when they come out to their parents?

TL,

give it up. You cant talk any sense into "THEM"

Old 06-25-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenone View Post
This is really gonna stir up the bible thumpers. Ohhh the OUTRAGE
hey, if the kid wants to take a stand then more power to him.

Good work, Will Phillips

sorry for the fox news link, but it appears only fox is covering this (doesnt surprise me)
FOXNews.com - 10-Year-Old Grand Marshal at Gay Rights Parade Sparks Controversy Across U.S.
He sounds like a great kid

""It's wrong for anyone to be treated differently just because of the way they are born," said Phillips, who declares himself as an ambassador for equal rights.
He will be the parade's youngest grand marshal ever, but he said age shouldn't make a difference. "Because I'm a person, I may be 10, but I'm a person," said Will."

10-Year-Old Named Grand Marshal of NWA Gay Pride Parade - KFSM (http://www.kfsm.com/news/kfsm-news-nwa-gay-pride-parade-grand-marshal,0,3463492.story - broken link)

Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I became a gay rights activist when I was 10 years old and first heard about Matthew Shepard. My parents wouldn't take me to Atlanta Pride because they, while not necessarily homophobic, were not big supporters (yet.. they now "parrot" my views :P) but they let a family friend take me. I'm not lesbian, I have always been confident with my moral center.

I don't think a 10 year old should lead a parade of ANY sort just because that's a lot of pressure for a kid, but to say he doesn't understand is laughable.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:47 AM

723 posts, read 634,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I became a gay rights activist when I was 10 years old and first heard about Matthew Shepard. My parents wouldn't take me to Atlanta Pride because they, while not necessarily homophobic, were not big supporters (yet.. they now "parrot" my views :P) but they let a family friend take me. I'm not lesbian, I have always been confident with my moral center.

I don't think a 10 year old should lead a parade of ANY sort just because that's a lot of pressure for a kid, but to say he doesn't understand is laughable.
I used to LOVE being in parades when I was a kid. It wasn't pressure, it was just exciting. Leading it would have been a bit scary, but remember, this kid has made a stand nationally by refusing to say the pledge. His story went viral and he's known all over the country for it. I don't think the parade is much pressure to him anymore. I think he's conditioned to the attention at this point.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
TL,

give it up. You cant talk any sense into "THEM"
Sadly, I know you are right. My heart just breaks for these children when I hear people dare to suggest that they are choosing to be subjected to these abuses, slanders, etc. because they think the 'lifestyle' is 'cool', 'glamorous', what-have-you.

What I find really interesting, is how many of these self-appointed moralists are themselves living 'sinful' lives' - cohabiting without benefit of marriage, etc.
The hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM

615 posts, read 545,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

I didn't say that didn't play a factor. The truth is most socities and cultures don't see homoexuality in a great light, that is why I said the media should show a more realistic view of homosexualit, not the Sex in the City view of homosexuality where everyone is good looking, rich, and has a great life. I worked with a guy who lived as an open homosexual in the city, but back in his small town hometown no one knew he was gay, even his parents, because it would kill his mother. Lets be real, its just not religious people who view homosexuality as bad, the same can be said for none religious and non Abrahmic socities like China, Korea, and India. It was never considered normal on par with straight sex.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I used to work at a high end salon and spa that was full of gay people, almost everyone of them was a drug addict, and many were depressed. They also bounced from one partner to another, and had very little contact with their family. That doesn't mean there aren't any stable homoexuals, they do exist. The lifestyle is nothing like it is portrayed on TV though, most gays aren't fashion designers to the Stars living in a expensive apartment in NYC.
What you're saying is that all of them were "drug addicted" and many were depressed.
I work with the straight population.
Most are the same.
What's your point.

What's the excuse for straight people being drug addicted and/or depressed?
Or are there no breeders who fit the bill?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What you're saying is that all of them were "drug addicted" and many were depressed.
I work with the straight population.
Most are the same.
What's your point.

What's the excuse for straight people being drug addicted and/or depressed?
Or are there no breeders who fit the bill?
\
yep it seems to the homophobe that any problem a gay person might have is because they are gay not because of any other rational reason. some people can't think beyond their own bias

Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
So my $2 question to all of you conservatives, should the government step in and prevent these parades from happening? and should there be an age limit to attend these gatherings?
Why would we stop parades from taking place? Its LIBERALS who stop conservatives from exercising their rights to free speech, not the other way around..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
Nope, but they're not all that far off. And if you think he has no idea what gay or straight is, then he's obviously hiding something. He knows what it is and he knows where he falls. Every 10 year old knows at least the basics. If he's hiding it, you may be in for a surprise is all. Poor kid, having to be indoctrinated with your hate in the first place.
The topic isnt if the boy understands if he's gay or not, the topic is the gay community using him as a symbol.. And no, the sexual urges of a 17 year old can not be equated to that of a 10 year old.. If you think they are similar than you dont know many 10 year olds. The 10 year olds I know still get grossed out over seeing dad kiss mom..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies