Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 09:26 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times

Advertisements

those millions of lazy pricks should go get a job....oh wait they can't. Well screw them...Yup sounds like the Republicans policy.

well they had a good run, started with Lincoln and ended with Sarah Palin...kudos to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM

814 posts, read 670,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NorCal77..every bill coming out of Congress that can't be paid for by cuts is deemed "emergency". It's starting to get old.

They can pass this bill if they cut somewhere else. You don't think there's some fat that can be chopped to give Americans an extension on their unemployment benefits ??

Here's some examples that would help:
-Pelosi gives up her private jet
-Fed workers take off 1 day per week without pay

There ya go..the Fed doing their part to help Americans less fortunate then them. I'm sure there's plenty more waste in the government that can go so that Americans can get their extension to unemployment.

The problem is the Democrats do not want to or do not know how to CUT.
Look up HR 4213 then tell me what they can cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government cannot create jobs except IN the government.
All you posters saying Congress needs to create jobs..in the government ?
What government jobs should they create so that they can hand 10 million people jobs ?

Government can only create a good business environment in which private business flourishes.
They have not done that as of yet.

The insurance subsidy and mandate bill for examples did it's job of scaring small businesses into watching who they hire and how many they hire so they can stay under the radar of mandated policies.

The threat of more business taxes and expiration did it's job too of letting small business keep less of it's revenue.

Small business is the machine that drives the economy and our government is strangling it with their bills and talk of future action.
We can go back and forth about this issue but it all comes back to the big business GOP's. They are mainly responsible for allowing big tax breaks for the top 1% and have driven this country into a consolidated corporate empire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I have no idea. George Bush was president. It was 2001. You can look it up.

By the way, unemployment would go dopwn if you eliminated unemployment "insurance" Along with minimum wage laws, unions, affirmative action laws and all these other things that force employers to be our baby sitters.
Why do I have to look it up when you were clearly not in the same situation as the 20+million today. More generalized nonsense.

Force employers to be our babysitters? You need some sand box time

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Bankrupting the country doesn't benefit anyone. The left has to learn to live within my means. I am one of the 51% of people who pays income tax. I am taxed to death, there ain't no more! Stop spending. If extending unemployment is so urgent cut something else!
Tax rates are much lower than many of the civilized countries in today's world. Taxes are going up regardless, it is the big business GOP's that led us here. Sand box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Oh look! It's another "CRISIS" that requires us to throw responsible behavior (like controlling spending) to the side so we can help people who can't find a job they like more than sitting on their fat a$$es, collecting government checks and buying groceries with bridge cards.

I know this probably seems like a silly question, but how will this extension of unemployment benefits be paid for?

I live in SE Michigan. Our official unemployment rate is 15%, but retail stores and fast food restaurants here have huge "NOW HIRING" banners up. So why are they so desperate for help?
Americans will go back to work when we stop paying them to not work. Right now they are unemployed by choice or working under the table while collecting unemployment checks.
I applaud the GOP for not robbing the next generation to buy the votes of lazy Americans.
Your screen name fits you well. If you don't call 25 million out of work a crisis you obviously don't have a sense of what is going on. Why should it matter how something is paid for if it's an emergency?

You and the other kids in the sandbox need to get off of this generalized "entitled" propaganda kick. Just because you see a job opening it doesn't mean no one is taking it! Hit the sand box!

Quote:
Since BO took office, what has not been an emergency?
more monkeying around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They deem it an "emergency" to bypass the pay-go rules.

No more bailouts, especially for the teachers union.
I thought I told you to hit the sandbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Who said this goes back into the economy?

We extend UE.
UE taxes get a bump.
Companies see the bump and bump prices of goods or lays off employees.
We end with higher prices or more UE, thus making the cycle. Again, its all in how we get the country back in shape to be a leader in manufacturing and developement. Globalization changes everything and until we realize that we're going to lose ground.
Financial analysts from many of the top firms/colleges.

Clearly there needs to be a jobs policy written, but there needs to be aid for MAIN ST until the numbers go down.

Quote:
Glad you made it out of Detroit alive, and I certainly do expect people to work at fast food joints. What I don't expect and will not tolerate is the looting of the next generation's future because certain jobs are beneath some people.
More generalized monkey statements...

Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,846 times
Finally the GOP has gotten something right!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'm ok with this.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Pretty had to blame the Republicans when the Dems control the Senate.
What part of Republicans are blocking a vote don't you grasp??

Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Finally something good the GOP has done! I hope they keep it up.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Pretty had to blame the Republicans when the Dems control the Senate.
I agree. If the Democrats REALLY wanted to pass it, they could do so with 51 votes.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 PM

I would be perfectly happy if the GOP cut unemployment benefits in half. This'll do for now though.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What part of Republicans are blocking a vote don't you grasp??
The Republicans cannot do anything the Dems don't let them do.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM

I would be perfectly happy if the GOP cut unemployment benefits in half but this'll do for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies