Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I think what most of you don't understand is that we won't win the war by just killing bad guys. We can kill 100, and 100 more will pop up. What General McChrystal was attempting to do is protect the civilian population and hope they don't support the Taliban, in addition to killing the Taliban. Gen McChrystal's ROE were only implemented in 2009 and we needed some new thinking to hopefully get us out of Afghanistan.
I know, and you know, but even the boy's parents in the OP article blame Obama. I understand they're distraught, but the article doesn't correct the mistaken inference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
What has this to do with the discussion? If you think it is pertinent, then let's discuss instead our community organizer turned Commander in Chief. Tell us what is his military background?

That might be more pertinent to the discussion.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
[quote=sanrene;14778142]

Under obama's leadership (not really), more troops have died under his watch than all the years before combined.

If your going to provide your opinion or make it appear as if you know what your talking about, make sure you know what your talking about. Obama has been in office for 18 months. Now unless my television set can not access the channel to your news station, I do not recall the body count totalling 3K + which was the total before Bush left office.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
What has this to do with the discussion? If you think it is pertinent, then let's discuss instead our community organizer turned Commander in Chief. Tell us what is his military background?

That might be more pertinent to the discussion.

What was Bush military background?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
What was Bush military background?
clinton too not many of our POTUS have had military exp.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
So taking precautions to protect innocent civilians is wrong?
If we want to protect innocent civilians, we shouldn't be there at all.

The poster is 100% correct: it is INSANE to send our servicemen and women to a hostile foreign country with no orders other than to drive around and wait to be shot at or blown up.

What do our leaders hope to accomplish? What can possibly be accomplished by sending our troops into hostile foreign lands with no objectives to accomplish other than the undefinable and unachievable political ideal of "nation-building"?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yes, after murdering innocent civilians with drone strikes called by obama,
My how those who used to be called collateral damage when killed alongside terrorist and Taliban insurgents have miraculously been transformed formed into innocent civilians as the result of a U.S. election.

Or have you just recently joined the left wing of the peace movement? When can we start referring to you as a terrorist sympathizer?

Quote:
I would imagine things would tighten up, as far a drone strikes and making sure the bombs are landing on bad guys, but NOT when our men have to hold their fire when getting mowed down by the enemy.
As I pointed out previously, perhaps you should take that question up with Gen McChrystal?

Quote:
Under obama's leadership (not really), more troops have died under his watch than all the years before combined.
I know you aren't in the habit of reading your links, but please if you are going to refer to something that I wrote, read it first.

As I pointed out, casualties are mounting because for perhaps the first time in 9 years we are actually fighting a war!

Quote:
Ummm...in case you haven't noticed, the surge worked in Iraq, exactly opposite of what biden and obama said it would do.
Perhaps you can learn something from Biden and Obama, admitting when you have been wrong.

Quote:
And it definitely makes a difference what kind of CiC you have behind the generals, a strong leader like Bush or a weak lamb like obama.
So, Obama should be like Bush... perhaps he should start a war with Somalia, then promptly forget about it and go off and expend 4,000 lives invading... a country like Paraguay.

Quote:
Bush was looking to win.
Well that being the case, one would think a discussion about what to do in Afghanistan would be moot.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Bush starting a phony war with the wrong country cost a lot of lives, too and YOU didn't care.....why are you so concerned NOW?

The Bush administration starting a war with no planning cost a lot of lives.

The Bush administration said it would be a "three week cake walk"........their lies, thier mismanagement cost many lives, many maimed ....and YOU DIDN'T CARE THEN so you do NOT care now.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
clinton too not many of our POTUS have had military exp.
Neither have a lot of the posters. I didn't realize that military experience is a prerequisite for participating in these topics. (Note the comment: before you criticize the Commander in Chief, until that time, you're just a sorry loser that happened to watch the movie "Green Berets"). In other words, if you don't have experience, you don't have a right to speak here.

So, like I said, why is a poster required to have extensive military experience?
And if they don't have the required credentials, we're now calling those we disagree with "sore losers"?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
So Obama is giving orders on the ground now?
Obviously, the "rule" was in place - our soldier's lives come LAST in the list of people to protect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies