Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:07 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,502 times

Advertisements

In honor of Walter and whoever else wants to talk about taxes and liberals vs. conservative ideologies, can we have it here and just let the other thread be about how we can better help the kids? What you think we can do better with no politics? So, put your politics somewhere else. Like here!! :O)

To start:

(1) Flat tax
(2) State rights shouldn't be compromised
(3) Less government regulation on businesses, big and small
(4) Government should protect the country as its main purpose
(5) Reasonable taxes on the state, federal, and local level (and yes, I'm not here to defend teacher salaries, amazingly I think some of them are too high, there I said it)
(6) Leave people and their guns and their hunting alone

Last edited by JDMBA; 06-25-2010 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
... how we can better help the kids?

First, eliminate all gov't schools; but, that's a political decision, isn't it?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:31 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
That would be fine, but could you imagine what would happen with the haves/have nots in this country. It would be even worse. The rich kids would still go to the best schools because they have the money to fund them (kind of like how it is now where they buy into the district when they purchase real estate- property taxes have nothing to do with quality of a district and neither do the salaries of the teachers- there, and I said that too!!).

The poor kids wouldn't be able to pay to get into the better schools unless it was more like a college situation where there were scholarships.

That's the only thing that I would be worried about, more of a continuation of the same. At least if you have six kids and are taxing the system more than someone with no kids, you would actually have to pay more for your decision so I think there would be more self-responsibility.

I'm for it Walter but only if we wouldn't have huge class differences with the level of education. It's an interesting debate. Talking about it is the first step to changing it.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
In honor of Walter and whoever else wants to talk about taxes and liberals vs. conservative ideologies, can we have it here and just let the other thread be about how we can better help the kids? What you think we can do better with no politics? So, put your politics somewhere else. Like here!! :O)

To start:

(1) Flat tax
(5) Reasonable taxes on the state, federal, and local level (and yes, I'm not here to defend teacher salaries, amazingly I think some of them are too high, there I said it)
Flat tax is perhaps the only fair tax. It still hits the upper class and upper middle class more because they buy more, so the argument it isn't fair to poor people doesn't play with me.

States rights should be the word of the day. I know there are certain rights, laws etc that need to be controlled federally, but states should be able to decide what fits best in their situation.

Government can regulate safety in any enviornment, this carries over to business certainly. But the fewer the regulations the better, just so the public and the workers are protected.

Federal governments number one duty should be to protect our country. This isn't saying that should be their only duty by anymeans, but it should be first and foremost.

Of course we have to have reasonable taxation. Let's just control it a little better and stop giving money to everyone who has his/her hand out. Heck, maybe I will stand in line for those handouts if things keep going the way they are.

Leave people and their guns alone goes without saying!!

Nita

Old 06-26-2010, 05:12 PM

332 posts, read 613,767 times
1)A flat tax (which generally means a national sales tax) is very regressive, will greatly harm the middle and lower classes (even with a "pre-bate") as even things like rent, food and medicines will be taxed.

2) that is a bit general, you will need to elaborate on what you mean
3) we have seen what less regulation on big business does. (see the financial meltdown and the problem in the gulf, both due to lowered government oversight, regulation)
4) Does that include "pre-emptive" wars? like us going in to Iraq?
5) What is considered reasonable in your mind
6) I have no problem with people owning guns for the most part, but I do think that the government has a right to regulate their ownership. After all the second amendment calls for a "well regulated militia being necessary....." So I would include reasonable gun laws to fall under that. some that I would include
a) a license to own/operate a gun. You need a license to drive a car, so why shouldn't you need one to show that you know how to handle a gun
b) background checks on the sale of guns
c) filling of forms when a gun is sold (even privately) just like you would when selling a car. If you cannot prove that you sold a gun legally, or that you reported it stolen by the police, and that weapon is used in a crime, you are criminally and financially liable. If you filed the proper forms when you sold it, or you reported it stolen, then you are home free

Quote:

To start:

(1) Flat tax

Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM

332 posts, read 613,767 times
why shouldn't there be public schools? How would those that cannot afford to go to school be able to go and get an education? If we did that we would be the only 1st world country to do so and we would end up dividing this country further and further between the have and have nots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post

Old 06-26-2010, 05:23 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
The flat tax is better than what we have now but I prefer a tax on all goods. No income tax but just tax what is purchased.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
I thought flat tax was an income tax where everybody pays the same percent of their income and there are no loopholes or tax breaks.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
The flat tax is better than what we have now but I prefer a tax on all goods. No income tax but just tax what is purchased.
Is that VAT?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:14 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
(1) Flat tax
1) Don't know enough about economics, but a flat tax feels right. Anybody have any facts on how it turned out wherever it was implemented?
2) Individual states are census divisions, nothing more. I can see no real reason for there to be differences in laws on the most basic issues; however, I will allow for variations to allow states to succeed in spite of their inherent shortcomings.
3) I believe in regulation of all businesses. They have ZERO history of being the "citizens" our laws of incorporation have granted them. They either do the right thing or they don't exist. The basic unit of this country is the person, not the corporation/business.
4) Government should serve the people in whatever capacity they deem. To say that it's main purpose (and I know our founders wrote that it would be to protect its citizens) is to protect people is to imply that the world is dangerous, which, as in any belief held, creates itself.
5) Taxation is the price we pay for the things we share. This cannot ever be made permanently reasonable, but it sure should be the goal.
6) Guns can be used on any living thing, therefore they will never be "left alone". Let's put our effort into finding an alternative. Fear (and its effects) should not be built into any nation's foundation. A society in which fear is a given is one that will not last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies