Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 PM

469 posts, read 579,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Seeing a fair amount of posting about certain religions not being peaceful, etc.

Give me a religion that does not have a history inclusive of warfare or a present wrangling with violence.

Does such a religion exist?
A religion is as peaceful as the people who practice it. Religious documents have little relevance in predicting the passive quality of a religion. The bible is full of violence and if its practitioners saw fit (and have seen fit in the past) to justify killing off the non believers they could find justification. Islam is what Muslims make it. Islam isn't violent, Muslims are. Just as Christians were, what, 600 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
To answer the OP's question, no there is no religion that fits that description, but, it doesn't change my faith any more or less, and that goes for everyone that has faith. Do I feel guilty of what past Christians have done in Jesus's name? No, why should I? I wasn't born then and they are not me. I don't have a guilt complex like apologetic liberals do

Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Nope, there isn't. I don't see any holy wars being conducted, do you? On our side anyway
Doesn't have to be a Holy War. Whats going on in Israel now?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Doesn't have to be a Holy War. Whats going on in Israel now?
Not holy war

Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Not holy war
Read my first sentence in that quote.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Read my first sentence in that quote.
Alright, then. Care to enlighten us?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM

469 posts, read 579,263 times
Quote:
Whats happening now will be a thousand years in the past someday too. He asked a simple question can you answer it? Are there no Christians who are killing and waring now?
To talk about small factions is irrelevant. It's the over all practice of the religion. There will always be crazy people. Religion isn't an exclusive club. Any idiot can claim to be a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:29 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
To answer the OP's question, no there is no religion that fits that description, but, it doesn't change my faith any more or less, and that goes for everyone that has faith. Do I feel guilty of what past Christians have done in Jesus's name? No, why should I? I wasn't born then and they are not me. I don't have a guilt complex like apologetic liberals do
It is not about who has a guilt complex. It is about realizing how pervasive warfare and violence is, despite the religion, despite the nation. It's a human condition. A lot of demonization of groups these days tends to forget that. A century from now there will be a whole new demonization trend. Look at how many countless times the situation of genocide has transferred from place to place, all over the Earth.

Please don't make this an "apologetic liberal" issue. Where then do you place supposed "conservatives." These very labels are extremely destructive for Americans. I don't expect you to understand that, but they are. I hate to bring up the prospect of WWIII but it's kind of hard to not think about it being that there was a I and II. For a lot of the harsh critics, they're lucky, they won't be here when a potential WWIII hits. Their loose commentary goes unnoticed. They have no concept of the impact and if you only have 4 or 5 more decades to live on Earth you really sometimes forget about the long term perspective.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Alright, then. Care to enlighten us?
Enlighten you on what?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
Islam is what Muslims make it. Islam isn't violent, Muslims are. Just as Christians were, what, 600 years ago?
I would have rep you if you had placed "some" in front of the word Muslims as in, "Islam isn't violent, [some] Muslims are." Since it it is quite obvious that only a minute fraction of the 1.4 billion Muslims are engaged in any sort of violent acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies