Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Funded Continued FEDERAL Unemployment Insurance for the LONG TERM Unemployed?
Yes, keep the checks coming until the economy goes back to normal 52 42.98%
Stop it at 99 weeks, no longer 26 21.49%
There should be no Federally Funded Unemployment Extensions 36 29.75%
There should be no unemployment insurance for anyone State or Federal (Work or Die!) 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times

Advertisements

In a word NO. I am all for letting someone collect when they first lose a job. There are plenty of low paying jobs available. Suck it up and work 2 if you have too. Plenty of us had to do it and we survived it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,825,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In a word NO. I am all for letting someone collect when they first lose a job. There are plenty of low paying jobs available. Suck it up and work 2 if you have too. Plenty of us had to do it and we survived it.
They can't find one, and your answer to them is, find two?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times
Some people get off on telling people how they suffered and managed to find work. It lets them feel all noble and successful. I’m tired of listing to their self congratulatory blather.

Extend the unemployment until we change our policies enough to bring the jobs sent overseas back to this country. Countervailing tariffs are one way to achieve the reemployment of American Industrial workers. Building a new government owned energy infrastructure is another. Eliminating the expense of our World Empire is the way to pay for all of it.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,543,370 times
I know a number of folks on UE and not a single one is enjoying it, or just golfing, or shopping and watching TV all day. UE is a small percentage of your previous salary, none of the folks I know have the luxury of having that money pay their bills and let them just relax. They spend their days looking for work and counting their pennies.

I won't pretend to know the answer to the question of how long to extend benefits, but I suspect that it's cheaper to extend UE benefits then to have all those folks hit the welfare roles in stead.

Now, as for the joblessness... I think people need to accept that a lot of those jobs simply aren't magically returning. So much manufacturing moved overseas, so much redundant middle management got purged out... a lot of folks sitting home hoping "their job" will come back are playing a fool's game imo.

The time to retrain, to try something new, start at the bottom, or take an entrepreneurial risk is now... scary as that is, hard as that is to accept for some people.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,543,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
.....Countervailing tariffs are one way to achieve the reemployment of American Industrial workers. Building a new government owned energy infrastructure is another. Eliminating the expense of our World Empire is the way to pay for all of it.
Well, that is probably the only way we'll get those manufacturing jobs back... capitalism is what sent them overseas and (almost)no company is going to willingly pay 10x (100x?) the salary to a US worker for building widgets that they are currently paying a 14 year old in Southeast Asia.

Of course it's all a political can of worms.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Well, that is probably the only way we'll get those manufacturing jobs back... capitalism is what sent them overseas and (almost)no company is going to willingly pay 10x (100x?) the salary to a US worker for building widgets that they are currently paying a 14 year old in Southeast Asia.

Of course it's all a political can of worms.
Cheap oil will keep them all overseas. The US will not institute any tariffs, but it's nice to dream, isn't it ?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,465,570 times
If you can't find a job in almost 2 years, then you are not trying. Mooching off of the taxpayers at that point is just wrong.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:06 AM

43 posts, read 93,629 times
Default Should Unemployment Benefits Go Beyond 99 Weeks.

I fully realize that this topic has been amongst the most discussed, or at least by those of us who either have completed or about to complete the fourth Tier of Benefits, leaving us without any additional recourse. I'm 60 years old, well educated, have been in upper management my entire working life, and recently applied for a position as janitor. I applied for this position with 10 others, and didn't get the job. I know that employers feel that an individual with my previous work experience, are waiting for the job market to change, and once it does I'll jump ship and get back into my area of expertise. First of all, who's going to hire me at age 61 for a full time position. It isn't going to be that easy for us older folk when in fact the economy does change, to find full time employment at a fairly decent wage. I'm fortunate in the sense that I'm debt free and own my home. So, I have swallowed my pride months ago and still can't find a job. I'm applying for a pizza delivery position today and lets see what happens. Yes, there should be an additional Tier (5) added until employers begin hiring once again. It's basic economics. If one is unemployed, he can't afford to spend and if he doesn't spend, then employers do not see a need to hire additional help.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,825,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Cheap oil will keep them all overseas. The US will not institute any tariffs, but it's nice to dream, isn't it ?
You would wish for tariffs? Do you have any idea why they were abandoned?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 PM

229 posts, read 573,160 times
I feel for all of us. I have applied and applied and applied. Wainaaegirl - it is not easy for us elders. I'm not certain what the problem is, although I have several theories, one being, yes, they think we will leave when something better comes along. If they only knew how dedicated and scared we are. These last years of employment should have been pleasant ones - where we taught those coming behind us. Instead, a lot of us were let go for - whatever reason. Downsizing is what happened to me, as it did, I am sure, to many in my age group.

I have been looking/applying for a year and this is what I get when I interview.

Mary,

I'm writing to follow up on your interview and thank for taking the
time to interview with us. We really enjoyed getting to meet you and
were very impressed with your capacity and experience. However, we had
several strong candidates and I regret to inform you that we have
selected another candidate for this position.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and hope that you soon find
a position that fits your strengths and your desire for meaningful
work.

I was one of the 'top' candicates until they saw how old I am (56). You can hide the gray but not the wrinkles.

So, no, I'm not certain 2 years is enough, at least for us elders. They should come up with a whole new program and/or penalize companies that 'downsize' their elder workers - especially those who have given so many years to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies