Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Funded Continued FEDERAL Unemployment Insurance for the LONG TERM Unemployed?
Yes, keep the checks coming until the economy goes back to normal 52 42.98%
Stop it at 99 weeks, no longer 26 21.49%
There should be no Federally Funded Unemployment Extensions 36 29.75%
There should be no unemployment insurance for anyone State or Federal (Work or Die!) 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 PM

217 posts, read 554,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I made a friend here on CD that moved from Florida a month ago. He was willing to take ANY job. He got a job on the FIRST day he was here!! This is in Las Vegas with an unemployment rate of 14.1%. He is a bagger at a grocery store making the minimum wage of $7.55 an hour. It was a step down from his former job. Would your friends be willing to take a job like that? I highly doubt it.
You have the same problem many seem to...You think most people wouldnt, Why?, I dont know.

I get what your saying, but you sound like the folks who say 'These people aint taking my tax money...They refuse to take such and such job...They are lazy....

Also since you said you DOUBT IT...Do you know them?, I didnt know we were friends....You honestly think there are jobs for everyone who has lost one???Just curious.

Ive taken them to places that are 18 steps down from what they have been doing, let alone a step down.

I just hate this outlook people have. I hope I didnt offend you I just see this type of thinking way to much. Just because someone may have seen 1 person do it doesnt mean everyone does. Just like all welfare recipients arent all crack heads shooting out babies...Some seem to think that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Too bad the op didn't include an option for 26 weeks, or about 6 months.

It's just a fact that long-term UE benefits discourages looking for work.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

It is option number 3, and the one I voted for:

"There should be no Federally Funded Unemployment Extensions"

Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 PM

814 posts, read 670,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
The saddest part is how some people on this board/and in the real world are way out of touch. They have now categorized people who have been laid off with welfare recipients and crack heads. Ive told my story here a couple times. I have 2 college educated friends who have liquidated all assets and finished their 99 weeks and still no job. First time they have ever lost any job. Yet to some on this board they would be seen as lazy drug addicted fools. Your mistaken if you think its EASY to find a job. I love when some fools here say they KNOW many people who are milking the system. The huge majority isnt milking anything. 10 out of 100 people have no job....This isnt some plan hatched by 10% of folks to 'milk the system'.

Stop being misinformed...Unemployment INSURANCE aint welfare.

Ask my 2 buddies who were making 1/3 of their usual salary on Unemployment how fun it was living it up. Now thats even gone.....
You have to remember many people on the right get their news from extreme far right propagandists. These people cling onto these beliefs for their own betterment. Why? because they live in fear of losing what they have. Typical "me" society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

More mindless BS. You really think UE should be capped at 6 months when we are in the worst economy since the Great Depression? If so your even more selfish that I thought.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
You have the same problem many seem to...You think most people wouldnt, Why?, I dont know.

I get what your saying, but you sound like the folks who say 'These people aint taking my tax money...They refuse to take such and such job...They are lazy....

Also since you said you DOUBT IT...Do you know them?, I didnt know we were friends....You honestly think there are jobs for everyone who has lost one???Just curious.

Ive taken them to places that are 18 steps down from what they have been doing, let alone a step down.

I just hate this outlook people have. I hope I didnt offend you I just see this type of thinking way to much. Just because someone may have seen 1 person do it doesnt mean everyone does. Just like all welfare recipients arent all crack heads shooting out babies...Some seem to think that way.
I respect anyone who is willing to take any job after being unemployed. From what you just said, that sounds like your 2 friends.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:05 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,421 times
So I know two people who got shut off on unemployment compensation due to the hard-hearted politicians.

One is a 71 year old who was working because she wanted to until 18 months ago when the company sold out to a new owner. They offered her a part-time job, she turned it down and started collecting. That way she didn't have to begin spending her dividend or interest income.

The other is a corporate exec (6 figure salary) pushing 60 who got downsized 15 months ago. Until the state can find him another VP job, he collects until the benefits ran out.

Both of these good people are RETIRED not unemployed! Like many government programs (including the non-stimulating stimulus), the unemployment deal sprays money around like a lottery. I don't fault the people--they both paid plenty in taxes for more than forty years, and the law said they were entitled.

I think at some point, for the people who just can't live on their skills, you have to stop calling it unemployment and start calling it welfare.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:06 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
People who do not have a job should accept ANY job to get off the gov't payroll.
Craziest comment yet. Any job???? Well, sorry I can't. I was making 68K and barely making it. Why would I accept a $10/hour job to make 350/400 a week if I can get $500 and save the cost of going to work? And how I am supposed to live on $350-400? I must support my son and pay my mortgage. Sorry, I will have to wait to find something to cover my expenses. I am OK with taking a pay-cut but I must at least make money to pay the bills and eat.

And it is NOT the gov payroll. I got tons of taxes taken out for years to cover this dry spell and then some. Unemployment is not Welfare.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:08 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
The saddest part is how some people on this board/and in the real world are way out of touch. They have now categorized people who have been laid off with welfare recipients and crack heads. Ive told my story here a couple times. I have 2 college educated friends who have liquidated all assets and finished their 99 weeks and still no job. First time they have ever lost any job. Yet to some on this board they would be seen as lazy drug addicted fools. Your mistaken if you think its EASY to find a job. I love when some fools here say they KNOW many people who are milking the system. The huge majority isnt milking anything. 10 out of 100 people have no job....This isnt some plan hatched by 10% of folks to 'milk the system'.
While I really DO understand I don't see how you can keep something going indefinitely when what was may never be again. Imagine for a minute that whatever jobs your friends had were never coming back. Should be continue to pay people who lost jobs making $x per hour because that's what they NEED to pay for daycare, mortgage, etc etc? And what about new people, college graduates, who can't find jobs? Should we pay them something? Or what about ME? I worked for 20 years, then was a SAHM for 20 years, now I'm getting divorced and need a job but can't find one because, ohh yea...my 20 year old job no longer exists either!! I payed into the system should I "get mine" too? It's impossible to do this all, everyone knows it.

I'm not catagoriing people collecting unemployment as welfare recipients or crack heads. But "unemployment benefits" without limit ARE "the new welfare" if there is no end to it. Unemployment was set up to do a certain thing...and this isn't it.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
You have to remember many people on the right get their news from extreme far right propagandists. These people cling onto these beliefs for their own betterment. Why? because they live in fear of losing what they have. Typical "me" society.

More mindless BS. You really think UE should be capped at 6 months when we are in the worst economy since the Great Depression? If so your even more selfish that I thought.
But the administration says we're in a recovery and have been for some months now since the GDP is up and jobs are being created EVERY month.

Can't be both you know.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Thumbs down just terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Why would I accept a $10/hour job to make 350/400 a week if I can get $500 and save the cost of going to work?
This is exactly why extended unemployment insurance needs to stop. Arizona at least has the right idea maxing out the Unemployment insurance to $240 a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies