Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Clearly this judge's ruling was influenced by his personal investments.

Judge in oil spill case sells energy stocks - Disaster in the Gulf - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — The Louisiana federal judge who struck down a six-month ban on deepwater oil drilling has sold many of his energy investments, a financial disclosure report released Friday reveals.

U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman's disclosure report, which covers investments for 2009, shows he owned eight energy-related investments including stock in Exxon Mobil Corp.

However, in an attachment to the report, the judge said he sold his Exxon Mobil stock this June when he was hearing the oil spill case.
In last year's disclosure report, Feldman owned up to 16 energy-related investments.

Among the assets sold was stock in Transocean, the Switzerland-based company that owned the drilling rig operated by BP that is now spewing oil into the Gulf.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:27 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

WASHINGTON — The Louisiana federal judge who struck down a six-month ban on deepwater oil drilling has sold many of his energy investments, a financial disclosure report released Friday reveals.

U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman's disclosure report, which covers investments for 2009, shows he owned eight energy-related investments including stock in Exxon Mobil Corp.

However, in an attachment to the report, the judge said he sold his Exxon Mobil stock this June when he was hearing the oil spill case.
In last year's disclosure report, Feldman owned up to 16 energy-related investments.

Among the assets sold was stock in Transocean, the Switzerland-based company that owned the drilling rig operated by BP that is now spewing oil into the Gulf.
"Clearly"? I think, based on what Obama is doing, he ruled according to law. The President cannot just shut down an entire industry on a whim, putting millions of people out of work, and putting the entire nation at risk.

I believe his attempts to do this could be considered impeachable, because he is in violation of his oath of office. This is not "promoting the general welfare". That's just for starters.

As for the judge selling his stock, I believe he has every right to do as he pleases. It's his money that is at risk. Anyone else would do the same.

If you are looking for scandal, look at the White House and the current Democrat Congress. You'll find plenty there. But don't mention that.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:35 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,006 times
Quote:

Sure enough, as someone else pointed out when this case first broke, there would be liberals trying dig up all the "trash" about this judge as they possibly could. Good going Anytime something goes against this POTUS, it's, "let's get some dirt on this person or that person" and make them seem less credible. Amazing.......

Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:

Who cares. He saved 30,000 jobs, while Obama has lost 10 million.

Impeach Obama and put the judge in his place. He has a better track jobs track record.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
As for the judge selling his stock, I believe he has every right to do as he pleases. It's his money that is at risk. Anyone else would do the same.
No, it is against the federal law to do what he did.

"According to federal law, federal judges are required to step aside from cases that present financial conflicts or cases in which the judge's impartiality might be questioned." 3rd UPDATE: Judge In Moratorium Case Sold Exxon Stock This Week - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100625-712523.html - broken link)

Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Who cares. He saved 30,000 jobs, while Obama has lost 10 million.

Impeach Obama and put the judge in his place. He has a better track jobs track record.
Yea, who cares about the law, when the portfolio is at risk...

Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Sure enough, as someone else pointed out when this case first broke, there would be liberals trying dig up all the "trash" about this judge as they possibly could. Good going Anytime something goes against this POTUS, it's, "let's get some dirt on this person or that person" and make them seem less credible. Amazing.......
Federal Law is now considered "dirt". OK, I see the mindset here.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:01 AM

So everyone thinks it is a bad idea to inspect the other rigs to make sure there is no repetition of the BP oil disaster? What are you going to say if another rig goes down in the same fashion? Who would you blame? Would you blame the judge, or Obama? Think about it!! Has anyone ever heard of 'due diligence'?

I don't get it. Sometimes I just wonder what people are thinking...... They complain to no end about this disaster, and at the same time they beg for another one.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Thanks!

Finally, someone has come out and said it - a conflict of interest ethics violation is just human nature.

And, judges are human, too!

A good judge, in that situation, would have said, "pardon me if I recuse myself, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk".

It's only good table manners.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Thanks!

Finally, someone has come out and said it - a conflict of interest ethics violation is just human nature.

And, judges are human, too!

A good judge, in that situation, would have said, "pardon me if I recuse myself, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk".

It's only good table manners.
Not only good manners but also the Federal Law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies